Author Topic: Hide those fender brackets.  (Read 6410 times)

nirdlobkin

• View Profile
Hide those fender brackets.
« on: March 27, 2020, 01:19:23 PM »
I really like the quality of the materials and workmanship on my Rad mini. However the first thing that caught my eye was the cheap looking fender brackets on the OUTSIDE of the fenders. I reformed the bracket by making a V shaped bend in order to narrow the width of the wire so it would fit INSIDE the fender. I then screwed a bike reflector containing a 1/4" threaded post through the fender and attached the bracket with a wire clamp and nylon lock nut. The bracket must be reformed carefully so that the fender remains  straight.

fin_rad

• View Profile
Re: Hide those fender brackets.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 01:39:33 PM »
Now that looks good. Real DIY work with a good taste. Did you paint other parts too?

nirdlobkin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 01:51:37 PM »
No. Just the fenders and helmet to match. My research shows that low visibilty is the main cause of accidents. For some reason people "see" people on bikes and motorcycles but sometimes it doesn't "register". Plasti-dip "Blaze" helps register, thinks I.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 06:03:46 PM »
That looks great. I love the green! And totally agree on being seen. Anything that will improve visibility is worth doing.

Customstockz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 10:11:23 AM »
Wow, Really nice work! im very impressed!

Cru Jones 33

• Lets walk this SUCKER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 10:01:44 PM »
Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stay RAD Stay SAFE

mrbillium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 05:47:59 AM »
If Rad monitors this group, here is a really good mounting method  they could incorporate in future fenders that I used last year on another bike ( Cube Acid)

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/acid-mtb-60-mudguard-set-with-stays-777967

The stays attach on the inside of the fender without any screws at all!
Rotate stay 90 deg, insert into plastic slot in Fender attachment, spin back 90 deg and wire snaps into place - done!

Key point here is that the fancy tooling is not part of the plastic fender but in the rectangular insert so it can be adapted to any plastic fender as long as it has the right size rectangular holes.

Scroll down page to see  install video.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 12:09:46 AM »
Nice job! I think Rad's reason for the design was strength. With the support on the outside, any force from the fender catching on a branch or other object would be spread out across the support and mounting plate. But, I like how yours look, and the high visibility fenders are genius. Is the front fender matching, and do you have a photo of the whole bike and helmet? I'm kinda curious how it looks from an art perspective!

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 12:09:46 AM »