News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadCity 5 Plus will not power-up

Started by jcvdd, February 11, 2022, 04:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jcvdd

Hello-

My brand new, one day old RadCity 5 Plus will not power-up. Rad customer service elevated my service request to
a senior team member for assistance and waiting for his reply.
Other than checking all the connections and those suggestions provided on the Rad website,
anyone have any suggestions before this bike works it way back to Seattle for a second time? Thanks 

Radding Along

Press the battery level button on your battery to see if the battery is charged.

I know you stated that you checked all the connections. But did you actually look at each pin in the connectors? Sometimes during assembly, customers may bend a pin, which would create an issue with the bike turning on.

If everything is ok, unplug the two brake wires, taillight and headlight wires. See if the bike will turn on. Report back.

santacruzpaul

Rad's customer support went above and beyond for me, I am sure they will take care of you,
Paul

jcvdd

Quote from: Radding Along on February 11, 2022, 06:46:28 PM
Press the battery level button on your battery to see if the battery is charged.

I know you stated that you checked all the connections. But did you actually look at each pin in the connectors? Sometimes during assembly, customers may bend a pin, which would create an issue with the bike turning on.

If everything is ok, unplug the two brake wires, taillight and headlight wires. See if the bike will turn on. Report back.
Greetings - Yes sir, all connections, even on the bottom checked and none of the pins appear bent nor damaged and battery is at 60%. Anything else. Thanks

jcvdd

Quote from: santacruzpaul on February 12, 2022, 06:24:16 AM
Rad's customer support went above and beyond for me, I am sure they will take care of you,
Paul
Greetings-
Correct. Rad customer service has been great but unfortunately their last two bikes sent to me have been DOA out of the box.
Either I have very bad luck and should not be betting on the Superbowl this Sunday or quality issues at Rad are lacking. Thanks 

Radding Along

It could be a number of things, but likely not the motor.

First, test the buttons on the remote. That's the box near the left grip with the orange button that turns the bike on. See if all the buttons feel free when you push them in. If you feel friction on any of the buttons, you can pry the faceplate off, realign the buttons in their slots and press the faceplate back on. In addition, press the orange button for a couple of seconds and see if the bike will turn on.

I know you checked all the connections, but pull apart the connections from the remote to the display, as well as the display to the wiring harness. Note the rib inside one of the connectors. Make sure it is properly aligned with the slot in the other connector. And humor me, make sure all the pins are straight and not broken off.

It could be a malfunctioning battery tray, but that doesn't happen that often. As well as the wiring harness. They do go bad occasionally, but not often.

Lastly, it could be the controller. Rad will probably start by sending you a display and remote. If that doesn't work, they will probably move on to the controller and wiring harness.

Just for kicks, unplug the headlight wire, unplug the taillight wire near the seat, and both power wires from the left and right brake assemblies. See if it will turn on. I doubt it's those things, but it can't hurt to try.

jcvdd

@ Radding Along and the other poster - Thank you for your very informative reply.
Unfortunately the bike never turned-on and I was unable to figure what happened.
Rad customer service was great and they immediately had me return the bike for a refund.
Although I had some bad luck with their bike, I plan on buying another Rad bike
primarily because of Rad's excellent customer service.  I was very surprised how helpful
they were and how quickly they took the bike back for a return.
I'm confident that I will have better luck with the RadRover 6 Plus.
Kudos to Rad.

pjiaria

It took three City 5's but I got 50 miles on the 3rd... so far so good. ALMOST went for the RR 6 but the fat tires...

jcvdd

Quote from: pjiaria on February 24, 2022, 05:52:53 PM
It took three City 5's but I got 50 miles on the 3rd... so far so good. ALMOST went for the RR 6 but the fat tires...

Like yourself, I always went through three bikes before I got lucky on number 3.
Without a doubt, Rad's customer service was great and their return policy is excellent, but really; three bikes sent to get only one to work.