Author Topic: RadCity 5 Headlight upgrade  (Read 2687 times)

Slowrider

• View Profile
RadCity 5 Headlight upgrade
« on: February 11, 2022, 07:54:23 AM »
I just upgraded from the Rad Premium headlight to this Lezyne headlight.  I’ve seen some people post that they’ve upgraded their headlight and due to the high current draw it burned out the headlight circuit on the controller.  I suspect this is because they were using one that put out 1000 lm or maybe one for the incorrect voltage. You must get the high voltage model.  This one is rated at 500 lm.

So far no problems with it drawing too much current.  It’s listed as 7.5 watts.  I’m not sure how this compares with Rad headlights since I’ve been unable to find specs.  I charged the battery fully just to make sure that when it’s at maximum voltage everything is still good.

I took some pictures of the Lezyne headlight, the Rad Premium headlight and my Niterider 300 lm rechargeable for comparison.  There are two pictures of the Rad Premium where I aimed it further out in one.  I attached the pictures but it's not showing in preview so they might not show up in the post.  Perhaps since I'm a new member photo attachments aren't allowed?  I will say the Lezyne headlight is a significant upgrade over either Rad headlight

My issue with the Rad Premium headlight is you get this dead zone then the super bright spotlight. It would be a bit harsh of me to call it unusable because I could use it if I’m careful, but the beam pattern is nowhere near as good as most bicycle lights. That’s unfortunate because I think it’s the best looking bicycle headlight I’ve seen.

This modification requires removing the plug off the Rad headlight and soldering it to the wires coming from the Lezyne.  With some heat shrink tubing and dielectric grease to keep water out it will look nice and you won’t have to worry about shorts.  This was my first attempt at soldering anything but if you’re a bit worried buy some cheap wire and practice first.  It just takes two alligator clips and a vise or someway to hold the wires while you solder.

I posted this on Facebook but I figured it might be more useful to people here.  If I missed anything or you have questions please ask.  I wish I had this information before I just did it thinking “what’s the worst that can happen”

Edit so it only posted one picture‍♂️.  I'll try to reply with the others.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 07:56:44 AM by Slowrider »

Slowrider

• View Profile
Re: RadCity 5 Headlight upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 07:59:54 AM »
Here are all four photos...  I'm not sure why it won't let me put them in the post but makes them to be an attachment.  Hopefully this works!  So the JPEG ones are the ones I edited on my phone to put the name of the light but my app wouldn't work after the two so I gave up.  Hopefully you guys can view the HEIC format if not I can convert it to JPEG
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 08:02:25 AM by Slowrider »

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 05:06:46 AM »
There is a good difference. Do you have any pictures of the light on your bike and what leyzene model light did you use?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Slowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 05:44:51 PM »
There is a good difference. Do you have any pictures of the light on your bike and what leyzene model light did you use?

I will take a few when I get home

Slowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 07:00:39 PM »

Here is the one I got.  Make sure to get the “High Volt” if you get this model or whatever models you get make sure it is the correct voltage.

LEZYNE E-Bike Micro Drive 500 https://amzn.to/3segKIe
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 07:07:21 PM by Ryan »

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 04:14:02 AM »
Thank you.
Currently I have to stock upgraded light on my Runner Plus and I also see use the light on the handlebars to cover those dead areas at night. And the daytime the handlebar lights is my day flasher.
I think I might have to get this light for my mini 4. I never seen anybody do this before what you did. Thank you for posting.

GAndrew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 12:49:39 AM »
I think the model is E-BIKE MICRO DRIVE 500 HIGH VOLT
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/led-lights/products/ebike-micro-drive-500-high-volt
$59.99 from Lezyne

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 12:49:39 AM »