News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

2019 Rad Runner Controller Upgrade

Started by Seagull6, March 24, 2020, 05:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Seagull6

Hello Everybody, new guy reporting aboard. I have a 2019 Rad Runner with a 48 volt battery. I enjoy the bike but I need a little more power.

Has anyone gone with the Bolton E-Bike Controller Upgrade Kit with taillight for a Rad Runner?

- How difficult is the install?

- Will I need any other parts?

- Are you satisfied with the operation and power?

- Are there any downsides to the Bolton Controller Upgrade Kit?

- Is it worth the money?

Thanks for your input. Happy cycling.

Ryan

Did you already check out this video from Bolton?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3HIuGTaFGM

I also found this video quite beneficial in understanding what the controller actually improves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgsg5lQQts

Finally, here are some thoughts from another person who installed the kit on his Rover (same motor). Look back at his previous video on how he was able to mount. That seems like perhaps the biggest challenge.

https://youtu.be/OKycOxiSMQE

No experience myself, but maybe someone else has done this. Welcome to the forum  8)

sloppy

I have not done it either.  I have build a couple DIY ebikes.  and his upgrade is just a controller swap and new lcd.  plus its a plug n play for wiring so that's nice.  looks like the only issue anyone has is the controller it self is larger and requires some new mounting method. 

A higher amp controller will give you better performance.  It wont necessarily make bike faster.

Price seems Ok for a drop in replacement. Or at least a really close to drop in anyway.    You could probably piece together the same kit for less money.

Only real downside is maybe warranty on bike.

fin_rad

What about the battery life? Controller sucking faster and more amps from the battery than before.

sloppy

Quote from: fin_rad on March 31, 2020, 09:49:15 AM
What about the battery life? Controller sucking faster and more amps from the battery than before.

Yes. Battery is gonna take a hit. 

But it's like anything at cruising speed you will be using the same wattage.  And now you can get to that speed quicker so it can balance out. 

wkindred

Seagull6 -

- How difficult is the install?

Fairly easy install - helpful youtube videos available.

- Will I need any other parts?

No other parts necessary for upgrade.

- Are you satisfied with the operation and power?

Yes, i'm happy with the upgrade. No increase to speed but a definite boost to torque!
Very little additional power consumption than stock setup.

- Are there any downsides to the Bolton Controller Upgrade Kit?

No downside(s) that i've found yet.

- Is it worth the money?

Yes, i think the upgrade was worth the money for the following reasons -

Color display

Programmable features

Increased torque

Cruise control.

Hope this info isn't too late to be of help.

- Will

Bob Mc

Hello, I bought one and love it. It added about 2 MPH but the acceleration is fantastic, on a slight up hill it wants to wheelie. The wires are one for one swap. The new controller is wider than the original so I made a wider skid plate. You may need to drill another hole in the skid plate or controller tab.
I fully recommend it.

spyder918

Anyone know if this will work on the Rad Rover Step Thru?  I'm assuming it should being that all the stock electronics are pretty much the same.

wkindred

Quote from: spyder918 on September 15, 2020, 04:53:11 AM
Anyone know if this will work on the Rad Rover Step Thru?  I'm assuming it should being that all the stock electronics are pretty much the same.

per bolton site, "Plug and play for 2016-2018 Radrover bikes. Plug and play for 2019 and 2020 Radrover models."

...but i would check with kyle at bolton to verify.

https://boltonebikes.com/pages/contact-us

baseballer

On the Bolton controller upgrade for the RR, understand better torque but what about range?  Does it materially reduce range?

Altema

Quote from: baseballer on December 20, 2020, 01:03:51 PM
On the Bolton controller upgrade for the RR, understand better torque but what about range?  Does it materially reduce range?
It will reduce range. Even if you change the programming to reduce the peak power levels, the upgrade controller is just not as efficient as the original Rad controller.
I've compared the 25 amp and 35 amp controller upgrades to the original. Of the three, the 25 amp version is the least efficient (but I don't think Bolton sells that one), while the 35 amp version is closer, but not quite as efficient as the Rad controller.

PS: The 35 amp controller is worth the upgrade, as it offers a 113% power increase, and 90% of the range of the original controller.
The 25 amp controller from other sources offers a 56% power increase, but only 60% of the range of the original controller.

Seasaw

Why would the 25amp controller be so much less efficient?

Altema

Quote from: Seasaw on February 24, 2022, 05:04:52 PM

It lacks the dual stage output of the 35 amp version, so the 25 amp version has no efficiency mode for low power use. If you are riding hard most of the time and bursting to 1000 watts, the difference won't be as much. But if you are riding with mild pedal assist and only using 200 watts, you'll see a big difference in battery use between the two controllers because the 25 amp controller just doesn't have the low power efficiency stage. There may be other factors involved, but that would be information the manufacturer would need to provide. All I can state is the results from both controllers on the exact same bike, and there was always better range with the 35 amp controller.

MI_RadRover

Quote from: Altema on February 26, 2022, 05:26:51 AM
Quote from: Seasaw on February 24, 2022, 05:04:52 PM

It lacks the dual stage output of the 35 amp version, so the 25 amp version has no efficiency mode for low power use. If you are riding hard most of the time and bursting to 1000 watts, the difference won't be as much. But if you are riding with mild pedal assist and only using 200 watts, you'll see a big difference in battery use between the two controllers because the 25 amp controller just doesn't have the low power efficiency stage. There may be other factors involved, but that would be information the manufacturer would need to provide. All I can state is the results from both controllers on the exact same bike, and there was always better range with the 35 amp controller.
Amount of detail I have found on the 25 amp controller has been nearly non-existent.  Your info is the first I have seen that would question the "value" of this controller upgrade.  While I am not fully questioning your results, do you know of any additional 3rd party results or reviews that would collaborate??  I have the 35 amp controller on my 2019 Rad Rover and love it.  Due to mounting differences, I have been reviewing potential of the 25 amp controller for my Wife's 2019 Rad City Step Thru.  Only 60% of battery range would be a serious no-go for me, so any additional information is appreciated.  FYI - I tried the EggRider V2 direct from EggRider, but I was not impressed. It constantly lost connection with iPhone and there didn't really seem to be any differentiation in power control with the PAS levels. The EggRider Facebook forum had several posts with same issues. It appeared to be all or nothing, so I returned it for refund.

Flyinghog69

I have a 2021 Radrunner, I need to boost the speed limit, however, I could not find an English language wiring schematics online. My bike has a simple led controller installed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks