Author Topic: change chain to belt drive  (Read 1832 times)

localearth

• View Profile
change chain to belt drive
« on: February 03, 2022, 08:01:08 AM »
Hello

I'm looking at buying a Radmission but would prefer a belt drive if that is feasible - has anyone changed the chain to a belt?

Thanks!

Radding Along

• View Profile
Re: change chain to belt drive
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 03:12:40 AM »
I’m not sure why you would want a belt drive other than you hate chain noise. The Mission is so simplistic due to it’s lack of a derailleur, the chain should last for years. And of course the obvious outcome of Rad voiding your warranty if you ever need service.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 04:49:06 PM »
I think it is not as simple because the belts require a lot more chain tension. This is difficult if you don't have the dropouts for it.  Somehow, you have to tension it just right, then tighten the rear axle and ensure the rear wheel is pointing the right direction. The proper dropouts are like motorcycle dropouts.  You loosen the bolts, turn the screws until you get enough tension, then you tighten the bolts.  This arrangement is not available on the Rad.

Also, this can stress out rear axle bearings not designed to take this constant tension (the pulling of the belt). On a Rad, the bearing/ bearing races are not replaceable so when the bearing goes, the motor is useless.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 11:46:47 AM by Eric7 »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 04:49:06 PM »