News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Waiting for 3rd City 5

Started by pjiaria, February 03, 2022, 07:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

pjiaria

1st one - code 30 (tried everything), while sitting on kickstand after only one 8 mile ride.
2nd one - DOA, no power to motor, displays not reporting battery level correctly (main - not at all), physical oddities. (details on request)
3rd one - Out for delivery - Odds look good based on my experience being the only one here....

Follow up - 3rd time is the charm (so far). If it doesn't code 30 next week, I've made progress. This one had a cleaner pack job and more materials than the last.

Follow up - 35 miles and over 2 weeks all is good! Great ride!!!

Radding Along

I haven't heard of a lot of issues with the City 5 Plus out of the box. Most people seem to love them. Check to see if you have a black cloud over your house.

Seriously, I'm sure the new one will be fine. 3rd times a charm!

pjiaria

That's possible, FL weather.  ;D - All good with #3 so far. I really am hoping this was bad luck.

Radding Along

Glad to hear it. Now put some major miles on your new toy!

jcvdd

Quote from: pjiaria on February 03, 2022, 07:58:25 AM
1st one - code 30 (tried everything), while sitting on kickstand after only one 8 mile ride.
2nd one - DOA, no power to motor, displays not reporting battery level correctly (main - not at all), physical oddities. (details on request)
3rd one - Out for delivery - Odds look good based on my experience being the only one here....

Follow up - 3rd time is the charm (so far). If it doesn't code 30 next week, I've made progress. This one had a cleaner pack job and more materials than the last.
Hello-
Like yourself, I'm waiting on my second RadCity 5 Plus. Purchased one 10 days ago and it never worked as the controller died. If my second RadCity 5 Plus is also dead,
no way am I buying another....Good Luck 

pjiaria

Never worked? So far #3 is ok, only 5 miles, time and weather problems here in the Sunshine state.

jcvdd

Hello-
Just got my second RadCity 5 Plus bike and like the first, DOA right out of the box.
I have lost all faith in this company and as soon as this bike is returned back for a second
time, its Aventon for me.

Slowrider

Quote from: jcvdd on February 11, 2022, 05:19:27 PM
Hello-
Just got my second RadCity 5 Plus bike and like the first, DOA right out of the box.
I have lost all faith in this company and as soon as this bike is returned back for a second
time, its Aventon for me.
Good luck with the Aventon.  I hear their customer service is nonexistent but I've never owned one so I can't say for sure.  Maybe it will work and you won't need it  :)

pjiaria

Wow, just took my second ride on #3. No issues yet. Yikes on QC. Gotta say CS has been great to work with. Stay calm. Maybe they'll toss you a big gift card... (hint)

pjiaria

3rd RC5 died today. 106 miles, 3 charges, maybe 8-10 rides. 2 months. Code 30 while on kickstand (2nd bike, second time). In garage not ridden for about 6 days. Battery shows 6 bars. Remote display reads 1 bar, then the error 30 occurs. They are sending a controller and harness.

I cannot recommend this model. I only hope they offer us reliable controller for our 2 thousand dollars BEFORE warranty runs out (or their bankruptcy...)

Slowrider

Quote from: pjiaria on April 13, 2022, 11:59:44 AM
3rd RC5 died today. 106 miles, 3 charges, maybe 8-10 rides. 2 months. Code 30 while on kickstand (2nd bike, second time). In garage not ridden for about 6 days. Battery shows 6 bars. Remote display reads 1 bar, then the error 30 occurs. They are sending a controller and harness.

I cannot recommend this model. I only hope they offer us reliable controller for our 2 thousand dollars BEFORE warranty runs out (or their bankruptcy...)

I just finished replacing the controller on my RadCity 5.  It wasn't code 30 but for some reason it made the speedometer go down to 0 when coasting.  Otherwise it worked perfectly but that was just annoying enough for me to want to fix.  I suspect Rad is working hard to fix the controller issue because the new controller I got was revision M vs the old one was revision G. 

Take your time and even take some photos of the screws before taking them out.  Read the instructions online.  They're not as good as I'd like but they do help.  On the battery mount and key lock there are two different types of screws.  One is a short T9 Torx and the other a longer T8 Torx.  Double check your connectors as well.  Right after I replaced it the bike would intermittently not want to turn on and if it did the headlight didn't come on.  It was one of the connectors not secure enough.  I did the high step but there's even a video for the step over.

pjiaria

Been a few days since I successfully replaced the controller and harness in the RC5. So far so good. It was rough finding the screw holes in the controller during mounting... Holding onto hope with the revision I got.

Rover

Controller went sideways after 70 miles. The numbers became jumbled for everything. I could still tell the speed, but that varied with each numeral. Same effect on the clock, total miles, etc. But everything did work--I just couldn't see the numbers on the controller well. RAD sent a new one. Unfortunately rain has hampered my riding since then so I know it works but we'll see how long. I'm guessing they have this figured out. Though a few on this site have had controller issues, RAD sells very large numbers. I once had a Sonders and the controller went out. They were very reluctant to send a replacement. CS was almost impossible to reach. By that comparison RAD has been top shelf on the CS side so far.

NeilCutcliffe

New Rad City 5 high step, got code 30 out of the box. Rad sent a new wiring harness and motor controller. Wiring Harness arrived first. I replaced it but still got code 30. New motor controller arrived yesterday and I installed it today.

Now code 30 is gone. But I only get power for about 1 or 2 seconds and the power to the motor cuts out. The display and side panel are still on, no errors reported. The headlight and taillight are still on. But no power to the motor in response to either hand throttle or PAS mode.

I had the same rough time as pjiaria finding the screw holes in the controller during mounting.

Very discouraged. I'll contact RAD CS tomorrow, see what they propose next.

cerebrix

Sitting here reading this thread, while thinking about how my e-bike has been sitting at what is mostly an ebike rental store.  Which I'm pretty sure only employs 1 person part time that actually knows how to build a bike.

Yeah I'm pretty much shitting my pants right now.

I'm totally screwed aren't I? 

Give it to me straight.