News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Controller question

Started by jcvdd, February 02, 2022, 10:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jcvdd

Having issues with my RadCity where the brake lights do not illuminate when brake lever is pulled and the headlights turn on and off by themselves.
Are these issues related to the Controller?
What issues arise when the Controller is defective ?
Thanks

Radding Along

It very well could be the controller, but there a few steps you could take to try to solve the problem first.

1. Unplug and re-plug all of your electrical connections. That means all of the connections off of the controller, inspecting the pins to be sure they are all there and sticking straight up. And then do the same with the connections around the handlebars.

2. If the above does not solve the issue, unplug the headlight and test the taillight. If the taillight is not fixed, try the opposite. Unplug the taillight and plug-in the headlight.

If none of that solves the issue, Rad may send you a new wiring harness and display first to test. And then a controller if those items don't fix the bike.

Have you checked with Rad to see if they have a service center in your area?  What state are you in?

jcvdd

Quote from: Radding Along on February 03, 2022, 07:17:14 AM
It very well could be the controller, but there a few steps you could take to try to solve the problem first.

1. Unplug and re-plug all of your electrical connections. That means all of the connections off of the controller, inspecting the pins to be sure they are all there and sticking straight up. And then do the same with the connections around the handlebars.

2. If the above does not solve the issue, unplug the headlight and test the taillight. If the taillight is not fixed, try the opposite. Unplug the taillight and plug-in the headlight.

If none of that solves the issue, Rad may send you a new wiring harness and display first to test. And then a controller if those items don't fix the bike.

Have you checked with Rad to see if they have a service center in your area?  What state are you in?

Thank you for your reply-
I have no idea what happened to my new bike. Never worked out of the box. I have contacted Rad and requested a return since the bike has less than 1 mile. I'm using their 14 day return offer. I'm not dealing with replacing parts and trouble shooting  on a brand new bike that is only three day's old.
Customer service suggested probably an issue with Controller, but they had none in stock. Hopefully management will listen, reply and accept the return and I'll buy another. So far customer service is nice and I just hope this doesn't happen again. Not what I was expecting from Rad Power Bikes.

Radding Along

I would still ask Rad where the closest service center is located in regards to your location. It's possible you could have one locally and they could fix the problem pretty quickly.

If they don't have a service center local to you, more than likely they can point you to a local bike shop that Rad has a relationship with and they will take care of the warranty work.

At the very least, you will have the answer to where to go for warranty repairs with the replacement Rad bike.

jcvdd

Quote from: Radding Along on February 03, 2022, 11:05:13 AM
I would still ask Rad where the closest service center is located in regards to your location. It's possible you could have one locally and they could fix the problem pretty quickly.

If they don't have a service center local to you, more than likely they can point you to a local bike shop that Rad has a relationship with and they will take care of the warranty work.

At the very least, you will have the answer to where to go for warranty repairs with the replacement Rad bike.
Hello
Sincerely appreciate the information. but unfortunately the controller specific to the RadCity 5 Plus is not in stock anywhere in the USA and unavailable for the foreseeable future.  I'm just waiting for Rad's team to officially permit me to return their defective bike in order that I may order another. Thanks again...

Radding Along

That's simply not true. Admittedly Rad may be temporarily out of stock on controllers for that model at their warehouse. But some of their service centers do have a limited supply in stock.

I just read a Facebook entry where a guy faced the same situation as you. He went to a Rad service center and they swapped out the controller a few days ago.

It sounds like you just want to send the bike back and I understand your reasoning. But if you do a little legwork and ask Rad if there is a service center near you, it's possible they may be able to get you back on the road in a couple of days.

jcvdd

Quote from: Radding Along on February 05, 2022, 03:05:36 AM
That's simply not true. Admittedly Rad may be temporarily out of stock on controllers for that model at their warehouse. But some of their service centers do have a limited supply in stock.

I just read a Facebook entry where a guy faced the same situation as you. He went to a Rad service center and they swapped out the controller a few days ago.

It sounds like you just want to send the bike back and I understand your reasoning. But if you do a little legwork and ask Rad if there is a service center near you, it's possible they may be able to get you back on the road in a couple of days.
I sincerely appreciate your reply, but you are mistaken. As of 02/02/2022, Rad had no access to a controller for my RadCity 5 Plus and they honestly advised that they had no idea when they will return to stock. BTW - do you think anyone would purchase a bike, assemble the bike, deal with customer service over a defective bike, dismantle the bike, ship the bike back, re-order another bike and re-assemble that bike again just for the heck of it ???