News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

replacement tires

Started by RadBoleyRad, February 01, 2022, 02:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

RadBoleyRad

I have a Rad  Mini v4 and my wife has the Mini ST and would like to replace the tires.Has anyone replaced the stock CST city tires with the knobbier Kenda K1167 ? My first choice would be the K-RAD 20x4 tire but supply issues seem never ending.I would welcome any other suggestions.

WhollySmoke

Quote from: RadBoleyRad on February 01, 2022, 02:07:45 PM
I have a Rad  Mini v4 and my wife has the Mini ST and would like to replace the tires.Has anyone replaced the stock CST city tires with the knobbier Kenda K1167 ? My first choice would be the K-RAD 20x4 tire but supply issues seem never ending.I would welcome any other suggestions.
I also have 2 mini's,, a step through and step over. I'm quite disappointed in the stockm3 inch CST Big Boats, got two flats from common Sandhurst.  I've added flat out and that is working wonderfully.  I'm considering g a heavier tire.  A guy on the Rad Mini face book group has mounted motor cycle tires and tubes and that is what I'm going to do.  Here is the link to that thread.  I think it's will bea great upgrade. https://m.facebook.com/groups/629167654165317/permalink/1292091957872880/

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Veggyhed

When my tires eventually need to be replaced I will be replacing them with less aggressive tread and more of a road tire.
Regarding punctures I do run tannus armor and flat out on both of my e-bikes.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Eric7

Quote from: Veggyhed on February 15, 2022, 04:55:17 AM
When my tires eventually need to be replaced I will be replacing them with less aggressive tread and more of a road tire.
Regarding punctures I do run tannus armor and flat out on both of my e-bikes.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Me too.  I am mostly a road rider.  I like the 4 inch road tires and since I am a road rider, I'll pump them up to the highest recommended pressure.

SemperVee

Radio Runner

Quote from: RadBoleyRad on February 01, 2022, 02:07:45 PM
Interestingly I am putting CST's on my RR1 and will have 2 barley used K-Rads and 1 brand new K-Rad for a total of 3 to let go of soon. Let me know if your interested.

murbot

Quote from: SemperVee on February 16, 2022, 06:51:33 AM
SR241 Shinko - Amazon

Which Shinko size fits on a Mini 4 wheel that is meant for a 20" x 3-4" tire?

Shinko's look like a great option, but I don't understand their sizing. I've got a Mini 4 that shipped with the 20x3 CST Big Bloat tires that blow. I upgraded a 20x4" Mongoose tire that does well (with Tannus), but I think the middle ground of a 20x3.5 or 3.3" tire would be exactly what I need.

When I bought the Mongoose, they were labelled 20x4. Shinko has a 3.5 tire, but I can't tell what the diameter is supposed to be. Shinko responded to me with the statement below.

Shino's response:
"Thank you for contacting Shinko Tire USA. There has not been a conversation yet to offer Shinko Tires in the sizes you have listed suitable for Ebikes. We always appreciate suggestions to help us keep an eye on the market and the needs and wants of our valued customers."

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

WhollySmoke

Quote from: murbot on March 16, 2022, 09:22:53 AM
Quote from: SemperVee on February 16, 2022, 06:51:33 AM
SR241 Shinko - Amazon

Which Shinko size fits on a Mini 4 wheel that is meant for a 20" x 3-4" tire?

Shinko's look like a great option, but I don't understand their sizing. I've got a Mini 4 that shipped with the 20x3 CST Big Bloat tires that blow. I upgraded a 20x4" Mongoose tire that does well (with Tannus), but I think the middle ground of a 20x3.5 or 3.3" tire would be exactly what I need.

When I bought the Mongoose, they were labelled 20x4. Shinko has a 3.5 tire, but I can't tell what the diameter is supposed to be. Shinko responded to me with the statement below.

Shino's response:
"Thank you for contacting Shinko Tire USA. There has not been a conversation yet to offer Shinko Tires in the sizes you have listed suitable for Ebikes. We always appreciate suggestions to help us keep an eye on the market and the needs and wants of our valued customers."

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Motorcycle tires are sized different than bicycle tires and are based on the size of the wheel.  Bicycle tires are based on the outside diameter of the tire. I have these on my Mini 4 and my Mini St they are fantastic tires.  These are the tires you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rjp

Rad Kenda tires are back in stock again at Rad Power

Eric7

Motorcycle tires are sized different than bicycle tires and are based on the size of the wheel.  Bicycle tires are based on the outside diameter of the tire. I have these on my Mini 4 and my Mini St they are fantastic tires.  These are the tires you're looking for.

[/quote]

Thank you so much for the pictures. They are beautiful.

I looked on Amazon using the link (maybe not from you) and it seems to show an 18 inch x 4 inch tire.  I thought I need 16 inch motorcycle tires and the only 16 inch motorcycle tires I see are 3 inches wide.

Maybe I am not the most clever in figuring things out.  If you can indulge me and give us the details again with a link, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.  Beautiful setup.

WhollySmoke

The motor cycle tire are 16x3.  But even at 3 inches they are wider than the CST big boats ( 3 inches wide) that shipped with our Rads.
The Shinkos are great we love them no more flat anxiety.  In full disclosure they are about 10lb heavier than the stock tires and they are a bit taller.  You can tell a slight difference when you start off and going up hills.  This is because of the weight and height.  I weigh about 235 and we just rode 30 miles and only used 2 bars of battery on mostly flat with 15 miles of 20mph head wind using PAS 2 and a little PAS 3, so for me the range has not been significantly impacted either. I highly recommend these they check all of my boxes but you might be looking for different things.   I wanted tires that would be far less likely to get a flat, the 1st time I rode  off of the pavement for about 50' I got 2 flats from simple sand burrs,  I wanted tires that were more sure footed for riding in loose gravel and on dirt trails,  Most mountain bikes that have any type of aggressive tread hum when on pavement that was also an issue for us, the motorcycle tires are whisper quiet, they are much heavier duty and I don't expect to ever have an issue with flats, they are much more sure footed on gravel or loose dirt tracks, and they are also very good on wet pavement whereas the Mountain bicycle tires are not nearly as good on wet payment They check all my boxes.  But,  I like my steaks medium rare not everyone does some people like their stakes well done.  Here is the link. 
Shinko SR241 Front/Rear Dual Sport Tire - 3.00-16/Black https://amzn.to/36MAZEZ

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

santacruzpaul

These look like a great replacement for the Kenda's,  What size shinko fits my 2021 Radrover 26 x 4.0.
   (Preferably a dual sport)

WhollySmoke

Quote from: santacruzpaul on March 30, 2022, 09:17:17 AM
These look like a great replacement for the Kenda's,  What size shinco fits my 2021 Radrover 26 x 4.0.
To the best of my knowledge there is not a motorcycle that fits the Rovers someone else who is a tire Guru and sells tires said they don't exist

santacruzpaul

Thanks for the info Whollysmoke, I bought the origin 8 super cellsl for the Rover, They are a good fit for my type of riding over the Kenda's, BUT, Would really like the Schinko's, I have them on my Honda Trail 110. And they are fine tires.

quote author=WhollySmoke link=topic=1770.msg10149#msg10149 date=1648663540]
Quote from: santacruzpaul on March 30, 2022, 09:17:17 AM
These look like a great replacement for the Kenda's,  What size shinco fits my 2021 Radrover 26 x 4.0.
To the best of my knowledge there is not a motorcycle that fits the Rovers someone else who is a tire Guru and sells tires said they don't exist

[/quote]

Radio Runner

6.29 pounds each:o !!!

Yikes.