News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

who is it for

Started by rama_nichana@yahoo.com, January 31, 2022, 01:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Eric7

I have one suggestion.  Two phone mounts.  I put an all-metal phone mount on the left and a second cheap plastic phone mount also on the left.  The plastic phone mount holds the portable battery for the phone.  The metal mount does not move, which I like.  I think you need an all-metal one for just this purpose (not shifting).

The plastic phone mount eventually shift upside down - but it only holds a battery.  The phone covers the PAS levels - a little difficult in the winter when my hands are in a mitten or frozen so I can't feel which button to press but summers are fine.

Shifter:  I guess I am old school/old-fashioned and I don't need to see the gear indicator.  There is only one rear sprocket, no sophisticated mental calculation of chainring/sprocket ratios because there is only one chainring.  I adjust the shifting up and down by feel.  If you prefer to have the phone on the right, I think you can just do it and get used to it.  Just a suggestion. Also, I am not racing so slower shifting is not a problem for me since the motor gets me up to speed.

I've used the standard saddle all my life from whatever bike it came with and never had problems.  I think it takes me some time and then my body parts adjust to the new saddle.

Battery: Everyone is different.  I've decided not to worry about it and live a carefree life.  I'll buy a second battery when the first one gets weak.  I don't want to worry about how much to charge and how much to drain.

Pedal - I might put in a bigger pedal.  The factory pedal feels small and I feel it has less traction. I tend to slip out of the pedal when the going gets bumpy.

Water bottle holder - I don't have one.  I drink bottled water so I don't get the plastic taste of a water bottle or I drink soda.  I just put it in my backpack and I take a break often and finish a whole bottle at a time.

Battery life: In the beginning, I seem to have all the range in the world since I would pedal slowly and be afraid to go fast.  I would baby the motor, get up to speed by pedaling, then apply just enough to go 12 mph which I consider plenty fast.  I would go 20 miles on the first bar.  Now, I learn to start off the green light with a twist to the throttle.  I use the battery to keep me up to speed on some tricky sections.  I don't mind climbing hills instead of taking the long way.  I go 20 mph.  Summary is I use the battery a lot more now - and while the battery has not decreased - my effective range has reduced.  :)

rama_nichana@yahoo.com

thanks for sharing so much.

i haven't seen a weekend  after had the bike. want to see how it is going to inspire me in 4 days from now. want to do long rides. though i have a left knee pain for carrying the 17y old dog over a tall staircase for over 2 months while living in a city.

w.r.t seat , rad sent me this ... on the way. because i complained on the stock seat.

https://bit.ly/3ilBgAN

but not sure if it would need a different seat-post.

oh! well another issue i see  , i can't slide the battery out without moving the seat height adjustment lever. bad mount. want to turn it around a bit. but don't know the correct tool for it.  RAD delivered tools didn't match.

rama_nichana@yahoo.com

thanks a lot for sharing so much.

i thought i replied .. but don't see my reply .. anyways again .. no harm

haven't see a weekend yet since had the bike. waiting to see how it is going to inspire me for a longer ride than regular workdays post lunch ride. just about 5 miles. have knee pain. a bit. for carrying my 17y old dog over the staircase while was with my child in a city dwelling.   yea!! want to be close to downtown then got to do stairs  :P

i complained on the stock seat. rad is sending

Comfort saddle: https://bit.ly/3uvIKIR

not sure if this needs a different seat-post. rad didn't tell me, so i am assuming same stock one matches.

other issue with bike.  can't slide the battery out with out unlocking the seat-post. need to remount the lever.  rad sent tools didn't match.

Eric7

One more suggestion, work up to a long ride.  There are 5 LEDs in the battery guage.

When the first LED goes, you have 65% left.  When the second LED goes, you have 45% left.  It is definitely time to go home slowly - so the battery can last.  You get more mileage going slow.

I am just trying to prevent you from being stuck somewhere far from home with a 65 pound bike.

JimInPT

Quote from: rama_nichana@yahoo.com on February 15, 2022, 10:17:18 AMoh! well another issue i see  , i can't slide the battery out without moving the seat height adjustment lever. bad mount. want to turn it around a bit. but don't know the correct tool for it.  RAD delivered tools didn't match.

I removed my factory quick-release seatpost lever months ago and replaced it with a regular clamp with anti-theft bolt (to help prevent easy custom seat and seatpost theft), so I'm not sure...... but as I recall I think if you fully loosen the quick-release clamp, you can just rotate it on the tube to any angle that's convenient for you.  I think I did that soon after I got the bike, for the same reason as you, removing the battery easily.

And I agree with Eric to start slowly with just very few miles at a time, to get used to the bike, make sure everything is working properly and most importantly - so that you can discover what needs to be adjusted to fit you better.  It makes a big difference to adjust the seat height, angle and setback on the seat rails - then there's adjusting the handlebar and grip angles and height.  Took me a few miles to figure out what was starting to hurt, and why.  Then by making the adjustments it became comfortable and pain-free.  I was moving the seat forward/backward and up/down about 1/2" at a time near the end of the process, and could feel the difference - same with handlebar height and angle. 

You don't want to head out 10 miles from home on a new unadjusted, unstressed/tested bike and have problems, as Eric said.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

rama_nichana@yahoo.com

thanks.

will do a slow start. gradually increase.  so far so good. been on it every post lunch replacing my walks with biking.  did maybe 13 miles in 3 days since delivered.  lovely bike. happy for making a good pick.

13 miles pas modes 0,1,2. zero throttle so far. 

regarding phone mount, did spoke to rad product support team. they are aware of less real estate on the bar. recommends extended bar, like suggested above.

for now apart from moving phone mount to left, turned the face place on it. now phone goes on it horizontally.

convenience, can see mode button, bell

inconvenience , phone is horizontal.

now waiting for new saddle. have to learn how to change.

rama_nichana@yahoo.com

JimInPT you win.

i am getting: https://amzn.to/3LXIett

NaturallyRC

By default, the stepover version was a no-brainer for me (a grown man) until, same as JiminPT, I put the engineering under a microscope and the stepthru won hands down. I don't know for sure if this design came after the SO, but it looks, smells, tastes like a classic case of lessons-learned. Furthermore, when you add packs and stuff to this large beast, and with all that black and orange, it looks like a Sportster Model KR Harley imo. LOL. As for saddles, I'm old school -- if it feels good in the first two minutes, it's going to suck long term. Your butt and the seat need time to get to know one another. The most comfortable saddles I have known (like cycling San Francisco to San Diego) have had almost no padding whatsoever. But to each his own. As others have said, the stock pedals are slippy outside of hot dry conditions, so careful standing up. I put an orange water bottle cage on mine. Looks good, does not get in the way, and I encourage you to try sipping water as you go, rather than stopping to down a Mountain Dew etc, in one go. Cheers and have fun!

NaturallyRC

I forgot to add that having a quick-release allows you to adjust the seat DURING a ride (be sure to stop first, with this model) which is a huge benefit. When you need to maneuver around the mall parking lot, or busy boardwalk, a low seat gives a stable CG and the option to put a flat foot down in an emergency. But, when cruising along you want it HIGH so you get a full leg extension, for maximum efficiency without wrecking those ancient knees (mine are 60). Also, sliding it up and down will subtly shift the pressure points on your pelvis, which for a lot of people means no sore butt. Cheers and have fun!

WhollySmoke

Quote from: rama_nichana@yahoo.com on January 31, 2022, 01:00:14 PM
hello

me over 60 y, was looking at getting radmini ST (step-thru), then kind of fell thru spiral thinking.

question is, is it for women ?

i know it is an odd question, but yet want others thoughts.

-Rama
Many folks especially especially those who are older or have certain physical(like me stoke kind of messed up my right leg and foot) issues find the step through to be much easier to mount and dismount. The step thrus are no longer referred to or really even thought of as a girl's bike. That was old school.   Besides when you're riding a RAD  No one is going to think you are riding a girl's bike they are going to want to ask questions about what kind is it, how well does it ride on hills, how fast will it go, what is the range, how much was it,  do you like it...... things like that..... the aspect of it being a step through or potentially a girl's bike won't come up at least that's been my experience.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

NaturallyRC

Well said!

Quote from: WhollySmoke on February 20, 2022, 07:43:16 AM
Quote from: rama_nichana@yahoo.com on January 31, 2022, 01:00:14 PM
hello

me over 60 y, was looking at getting radmini ST (step-thru), then kind of fell thru spiral thinking.

question is, is it for women ?

i know it is an odd question, but yet want others thoughts.

-Rama
Many folks especially especially those who are older or have certain physical(like me stoke kind of messed up my right leg and foot) issues find the step through to be much easier to mount and dismount. The step thrus are no longer referred to or really even thought of as a girl's bike. That was old school.   Besides when you're riding a RAD  No one is going to think you are riding a girl's bike they are going to want to ask questions about what kind is it, how well does it ride on hills, how fast will it go, what is the range, how much was it,  do you like it...... things like that..... the aspect of it being a step through or potentially a girl's bike won't come up at least that's been my experience.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Veggyhed

Regarding the step over or step through.
If you look at the new mountain bikes and the new BMX bikes the crossbar is angled and is slowly moving further and further down.

That cross bar can also be rather uncomfortable if you land on it so I'm not sure why it's always been called a bike for men

I agree strongly with the other reasons people have said a step through is better than step over in this thread.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

rama_nichana@yahoo.com

thanks everyone.

after being convinced by others replies , i got the bike. been a week. every single day i bike, post lunch. rode 25 miles so far.

but you know what .. it might be my old habit i have been using it as step over :) sounds funny.  every single time i hop on it , it was step over. back home after ride , i think what is going on here. why am i not using stepping thru ... don't have an answer  .. other i observed  is, every single ride i only have focused on the path ahead so no clue if any on my street observed.

but love the bike. after the days ride, back at the home door .. i want to go for another ride.

yes, every single ride butt takes a pain from the stock saddle.  changing it to another. will post what the new is here , if i find it a comfort.

NaturallyRC

Thanks for the update. Personally, I would stick with the saddle a bit longer. Before you know it the pain will have gone away without you noticing it, and sliding into the saddle will feel like slipping on your favourite pair of gloves. Oh, and I haven't been able to break the habit of swinging my leg over the back either. LOL. Have fun out there and stay safe.

Quote from: rama_nichana@yahoo.com on February 21, 2022, 09:27:44 PM
thanks everyone.

after being convinced by others replies , i got the bike. been a week. every single day i bike, post lunch. rode 25 miles so far.

but you know what .. it might be my old habit i have been using it as step over :) sounds funny.  every single time i hop on it , it was step over. back home after ride , i think what is going on here. why am i not using stepping thru ... don't have an answer  .. other i observed  is, every single ride i only have focused on the path ahead so no clue if any on my street observed.

but love the bike. after the days ride, back at the home door .. i want to go for another ride.

yes, every single ride butt takes a pain from the stock saddle.  changing it to another. will post what the new is here , if i find it a comfort.

Veggyhed

The important thing with a step through is you have a choice to swing the leg or not lol

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk