News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Installing Rad rearview mirror - handlebar diameter

Started by pepndon, January 31, 2022, 09:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

pepndon

Can someone tell me what the diameter of the RadRunner 2 handlebars is?

Thanks

FortunatelyTheMilk

Joel52334

SKIP the RAD mirror.  It is only for the L side.  Find a nice L/R set on Amazon.  They fit, they stay tight, they don't fog!
I'm an RW4 owner. I'm not using any of these ancient forums. (ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM). Instead look for @joelhuebner, joel.huebner, joel.huebner@gmail.com, joel52334.
That's where you will find me.
This forum uses UTC time. GMT-0.  I'm at GMT-5 CDT.

Radding Along

Outside diameter of the Runner handlebar where the mirror should mount is 22mm.

Rad doesn't advise installing a mirror in the conventional manner on the handlebar. There isn't enough surface area to attach the mount before the bar begins it's downward turn to the stem. Look at your bike and you will see what I mean.

You might look into mirrors that install in the end of the handlebar. I think they call them bar end mirrors.

handlebar

Quote from: Radding Along on February 03, 2022, 11:54:08 AM
Outside diameter of the Runner handlebar where the mirror should mount is 22mm.

Rad doesn't advise installing a mirror in the conventional manner on the handlebar. There isn't enough surface area to attach the mount before the bar begins it's downward turn to the stem. Look at your bike and you will see what I mean.

You might look into mirrors that install in the end of the handlebar. I think they call them bar end mirrors.

My first was a bar-end mirror. The description didn't say it was convex. The first day, it was overcast and around sundown when I heard a car behind me on a quiet street. I studied the mirror and the street looked empty. I didn't like being followed by a vehicle that was invisible to me. When it passed, I saw that it was a similar shade of gray to the pavement behind me. That mirror was more convex than some, but I wouldn't trust my life to any convex mirror.

I bought four more from Amazon. None was described as convex, but all were. Just to try them, I had to mount them under the bar because the stems weren't long enough to see past my arm.

Finally, I found an old-fashioned flat mirror at Amazon. https://amzn.to/3JYP28t

The sheet-metal clamp was for a rectangular bar. I screwed it tight around progressively bigger sockets until it would fit my handlbar.

The photos show a car 100 feet behind me against a contrasting background early on a sunny afternoon. A car isn't always so conspicuous, and I want to see several hundred feet behind me.