Author Topic: Safe indoor battery storage?  (Read 5543 times)

Enkidu

• View Profile
Safe indoor battery storage?
« on: January 04, 2022, 08:40:33 PM »
What is the safest way to store batteries in a house? Is there some kind of fireproof storage box suitable for this?

I am considering getting a RadMini Step-Thru 2 and would want to store the batteries indoors as I live near Detroit and it gets very cold in our garage where the bike would be kept.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
Re: Safe indoor battery storage?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 04:00:25 AM »
I store both my batteries in my apartment on my bikes. I feel confident doing this unless the battery has been dropped or you've been in a crash .
I would then store my batteries outside for a couple of days and charge them outside and see how they do.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 04:26:05 AM »
How cold is "very cold"? Better to store them cold than hot.

Enkidu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 06:25:45 AM »

Oh that is interesting. I wish I know about this before I topped off my Ryobi batteries for my mower.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 06:27:24 AM by Enkidu »

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 06:42:10 AM »

Oh that is interesting. I wish I know about this before I topped off my Ryobi batteries for my mower.
I would just run the mower for a while to get below 70% State Of Charge (SOC).

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 03:16:59 PM »
I have a 5-gallon metal bucket that used to hold paint when I painted my fence.  I put the battery in the bucket and close it with a metal bucket cover.  I figure even in a fire, the fire would be contained in the bucket and there would be limited oxygen.  I keep the battery indoor and warm.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 10:05:23 PM »
I'm not sure the metal buckets would contain a lithium fire. I've been told it burns over 1000f it doesn't need oxygen. But the same time it's better than nothing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RockSlider55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 09:16:19 AM »
I store & more importantly charge my batteries in an old safe, I have put a chain as a handle on the safe if something were to happen , I can pick it up and put it outside. Also, have a smoke detector & powder filled fire extinguisher near to where you store or charge your battery. Mount your battery charger on an old metal rack/oven grill to let plenty of air circulated and keep the charger cool while charging.

RockSlider55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 09:18:02 AM »
safe

RockSlider55

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 09:20:08 AM »
safe

RockSlider55

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 09:35:20 AM »
safe

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 12:26:46 PM »
Curious - do you unplug your TVs and all other electrical appliances during a lightning storm? Because that is the safest.

RockSlider55

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 02:28:13 PM »
Curious - do you unplug your TVs and all other electrical appliances during a lightning storm? Because that is the safest.
Hi DickB ,answering your question, I do unplug anything electronic like the TV in the house going to bed normally anyway, So I would do the same in a lighting storm. But we do not get too many lighting storms here in Ireland.A Lithium battery fire and a TV fire are a too different ball games .

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2022, 10:20:51 AM »
I just understood a little more about lithium batteries and why it is so dangerous.  The electrolyte in the lithium batteries is some sort of organic chemical - it is not some aqueous based solution.

To use an analogy - think of it like the insides are materials soaked with methanol/gasoline/acetone or something similar.  I am using an analogy and this is not correct of course.  It just helps you to think of it.  With a short causing a spark, and with access to oxygen if the battery cracked open, the battery will burn even if your battery is safely discharged to absolutely zero charge.  It is not just the stored charge that is dangerous. The material itself is very burn-able (flammable in vernacular). 

This is in addition to any danger posed by the stored charge/chemical energy that can be released without additional oxygen.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 10:32:58 AM by Eric7 »

Radio Runner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2022, 11:32:05 PM »
Lithium is pretty terrifying when it goes sideways. Its like a caged lion.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2022, 11:32:05 PM »