News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Helmet Recommendation

Started by Eaglesham, December 30, 2021, 09:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Eaglesham

Anyone have a recommendation on which helmet to purchase

ClarkB

I'm a new Rad ST owner and I just bought one of these "Victgoal" brand helmets which has great features and quality for the price.  It costs under $40, and it includes a magnetic detachable tinted face shield, and there are two optional shields for about $10 ea. (yellow tinted, and mirrored).  it also comes with a removable visor, a built-in USB rechargable rear light with steady and strobe modes, and a mesh carrying bag.  It is available in 10 different color combos, has good head coverage, and it is attractive, in my opinion anyways.  It is available on Amazon - worth a look - 

https://amzn.to/3pGXXUF

sc00ter

I have a Nutcase Cats in Space helmet. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being best, I'd give it a strong 6. It's also not the safest rated helmet either. But I like cats and I got it on sale.

DCH3416

This one is good: https://amzn.to/3eEXa01

Ryan

Here is our list: https://ebikeescape.com/best-ebike-helmets/

The Sena helmets are awesome if you ride frequently with others.

Eric7

Many web pages say you should replace a helmet every 5 years.  I think SNELL say replace every 3 years.  Just sharing.

Water Doc

Consider the speed these bikes cruise at you should shop for a MIPS certified helmet that fits well.  Skip the cheap bargains and get one that will protect your brain if you have a crash. 
Dennis
RadMini4 and RR+

sc00ter

I went down on my Pedego without a helmet. I sucked really bad! I still have a bald spot from hitting my head on the concrete. But any helmet is better than no helmet. And if you don't like a helmet for any reason you find excuses to not wear it. I now wear my helmet religiously. My space cats are always watching out for my head.

Whats weird is when I was a kid mopeds didn't require helmets, and all us kids had a moped by the semi-illegal age of 14. And all our mopeds hit 30mph minimum, modded they would do 45mph. A bunch of us kids were out street racing and one of our gang went down,  obviously without a helmet. He was in a hospital induced coma for a week! I bought a glitter blue helmet at a yard sale a few days later and wore it all the time! Everyone else in our 'ped club got helmets as well. Don't worry, our friend recovered.

Tree

Still waiting for my bike arrive, but ultimately found myself deciding between the Thousand Chapter and the Bern Hudson. LOVE the look of the Thousand Chapter, but at the end of the day the Bern appears to provide more protection, and that the most important thing when it comes to my dome.

And I love a bargain and want as cheap as possible, but safety isn't something I'm willing to skimp on, so I'm dropping that extra 75 bucks on one of those, instead of some cheap helmet.

JimInPT

Quote from: Ryan on December 30, 2021, 04:16:54 PMThe Sena helmets are awesome if you ride frequently with others.

I love my Sena, even though I almost never ride with others and none of them own a Sena.  I love listening to podcasts while riding, keeping my ears open to the world around me, and it's handy for taking the occasional incoming phone call.  I also recommend Sena - well-built, good fit and ventilation, very good safety rating and nice features.  Get the sun visor that's optional on some models.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

JimInPT

Quote from: ClarkB on December 30, 2021, 02:56:44 PMI'm a new Rad ST owner and I just bought one of these "Victgoal" brand helmets which has great features and quality for the price.

I looked up my noggin in Kelley Blue Book and even battle-damaged from life and now fully depreciated, it said my head was still worth more than 40 bucks.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

ClarkB

Quote from: JimInPT on December 31, 2021, 09:55:36 AM
Quote from: ClarkB on December 30, 2021, 02:56:44 PMI'm a new Rad ST owner and I just bought one of these "Victgoal" brand helmets which has great features and quality for the price.

I looked up my noggin in Kelley Blue Book and even battle-damaged from life and now fully depreciated, it said my head was still worth more than 40 bucks.

I looked at helmets from $20 to $350, and I felt that the Victgoal is as good protection as a helmet two times the price, and the features add to the usefulness.  I use Arai and Shoei helmets on my liter BMW motorcycle and my enduro dirt bikes, so I value protection and my noggin'.  Other than not being MIPS or having communications built in, the Victgoal is a good bargain helmet that 'punches above its price range'.

sc00ter

I use modular helmets now with my scooters. Schuberth or Nolan. Plus both fit my head shape pretty good. Used Arai when I rode rocket bikes.

JillGat

Quote from: sc00ter on December 30, 2021, 08:07:45 PM
...Whats weird is when I was a kid mopeds didn't require helmets, and all us kids had a moped by the semi-illegal age of 14. And all our mopeds hit 30mph minimum, modded they would do 45mph. A bunch of us kids were out street racing and one of our gang went down,  obviously without a helmet. He was in a hospital induced coma for a week! I bought a glitter blue helmet at a yard sale a few days later and wore it all the time! Everyone else in our 'ped club got helmets as well. Don't worry, our friend recovered.

Yeah, especially those of us who are now "middle-aged" or older; we did a lot of dangerous, boneheaded things when we were young, and I often wonder where the hell my parents were when we were doing them!  Back in the 1960s, my brothers got a mini-bike (I didn't get one and wasn't allowed to drive it because I'm a girl.  I'm still working through this...).  It was the kind of thing you got in a box and assembled.  The fun part was that we lived up a long, steep hill AND the mini-bike didn't have brakes.  You put down your feet to slow and stop it.  Except for the time my brother and I were on it, heading down the hill and suddenly realized we were both barefoot.  In that case, we stopped it by running it into a ditch.  I don't remember there being even any such thing as bike helmets in those days!

sc00ter

JillGat, if your'e on this forum you just got your first minibike! All yours! And it has brakes as well! I'm thinking about getting another moped (work related, believe it or not) but my ebike is much more fun.