News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Insurance for e-bike thoughts?

Started by Tree, December 28, 2021, 03:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Omidia Ramin

This is an old thread, but in case it helps?

I also live in canada, i found that other than the possibility of your home insurance providing some coverage (mine does not) the only ebike only insurance i could find that did canada was/is pedal power insurance.

You can buy directly off the site or from a good number of insurance retailers.

My cost, for theft/damage only not injury, etc? for my mini4 from new (about $2100 insured) is just over $100 a year.

I?m happy with them so far but insurance happiness is more about ?do they pay out or do they screw you around in the time of need??

And since i work very hard to not get my bike stolen in any case, i do not know yet!  =)

:-[
Quote from: Ddaybc on December 29, 2021, 09:24:10 AM
I live in Canada and my insurance company told me the same as JimInPT.
My homeowners insurance told me all I will have to do, in the event my bike is stolen, is prove I bought it and it is going to be covered.
They do have some limitations however. It must be 500 watts or less and it must have cost $3000.00 or less, accessories are not included. So they don't insure my bike and all of it's accessories.
I'm still going to try to find an insurance company that will completely insure my bike and if it was ever stolen it would be totally covered. I don't have any issues with proof of accessories etc as I take pictures every time I make changes.

Tree

Quote from: Goosecreek on January 26, 2023, 04:06:20 PM
I did a quick quote from Velosurance, maybe I should look into it a bit more.

my bike insurance is through Velo. it's 15 bucks a month, give or take.

something isn't right if you were getting a quote ten times that.

Goosecreek

I went back and looked, apparently  the 0 button stuck and I was asking for insurance on a $225000.00 e bike 🤣

Tree

Quote from: Goosecreek on January 29, 2023, 12:55:31 PM
I went back and looked, apparently  the 0 button stuck and I was asking for insurance on a $225000.00 e bike 🤣

I'd love to see that bike! lol

figured there was some sort of error when you came out with your original quote.

Ryan

Oyster is another brand offering insurance on ebikes so at least another one to at least compare Velosurance to. The forum has an affiliate link in case you decide to buy: https://get.withoyster.com/m/ebikeescape/bike

Personally, we live in a low theft area and I am lucky to have an abundant amount of quality locks so no personal experience on either company.

Hads

I was able to get my RadRover 6+ for just $10 a year with my renter's insurance.  Check with your renters/homeowners company to see if they'll add it.  I thought that maybe it only covered theft directly from my apartment, but they told me it's covered on the road to in case anybody breaks the lock and steals it!

Eric7

Quote from: Hads on February 16, 2023, 10:37:32 AM
I was able to get my RadRover 6+ for just $10 a year with my renter's insurance.  Check with your renters/homeowners company to see if they'll add it.  I thought that maybe it only covered theft directly from my apartment, but they told me it's covered on the road to in case anybody breaks the lock and steals it!

"Breaks the lock" raises a red flag.

You should check to see if there is a need to show force was used, check to see if a police report is needed, will they reimburse you for a "mysterious disapperance?"  That is, you come out of the store and the bike is now missing with no evidence any locks are broken.  What if your battery or pannier is stolen with no evidence of lock breakage? What if you use a cheap cable lock? Are you covered?  And then check if the police will actually come and provide a report if you call them - maybe they are busy and you have to go to the police office.

Read this about an alleged thief of two phones of about $2000 and company refuses to resend or refund.  "The problem is compounded by the fact that police departments in some jurisdictions refuse to investigate petty theft. In this latest case, for example, the customer from California said they were unable to file a police report about the incident."

Check all these things.  Read the policy.

Just looking out for you.