News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Rover Plus 6 Error 30

Started by Bearbikes, December 25, 2021, 01:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

New bike for Christmas with Error 30 code

Error 30
0 (0%)
Rad Rover 6 Plus
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 24, 2022, 01:58:58 PM

Bearbikes

I have checked all of the connectors but still get Error 30 code. Bike gets power for about 45 sec then Error 30 and powers off. Does anyone have any tips to fix this. Christmas present and disappointed!

Radding Along

I believe the issue may be with a sticking sensor in the brake lever assembly. The sensor shuts down power assist and throttle when either brake is applied. Try unplugging the left brake lever assembly first.

Go to the left brake lever, find the power wire coming off the lever, follow the wire down in front of the steering stem. Unplug the wire to see if the issue clears up. If not, repeat on right side.

If that fixes the issue, call Rad and have them send you a new brake assembly under warranty.

anjaclem

Quote from: Radding Along on December 26, 2021, 06:21:45 AM
I believe the issue may be with a sticking sensor in the brake lever assembly. The sensor shuts down power assist and throttle when either brake is applied. Try unplugging the left brake lever assembly first.

Go to the left brake lever, find the power wire coming off the lever, follow the wire down in front of the steering stem. Unplug the wire to see if the issue clears up. If not, repeat on right side.

If that fixes the issue, call Rad and have them send you a new brake assembly under warranty.
Thanks for your help and suggestion.

twistydave

I have the same problem.  Turns on for a few seconds with power then off.  I unplugged all the wires on the trail that I could  but the problem still exist.   Guess I'll try at home in a more methodical method.   Any other ideas?

Radding Along

There are a lot of reasons why any Rad bike has cut off issues. But the early shipments of the Rover 6 Plus had a rash of issues with the left brake lever. Rad was proactive and replaced the levers without any questions asked.

The wire coming off each brake lever is there solely to activate the rear brake light. So unplugging the wire has no affect on the bike other than losing the brake light. If after unplugging both levers, your problem persists, there are a number of things to check.

1. Every bike starts cutting on and off when the bike reaches 21mph. That's the normal function of a class two ebike. Speed is metered due to government regulations.

2. The PAS sensor and magnet ring on older Rad bikes are mounted on the crank. It's exposed to the elements. Often you will find the magnet ring coated with chain lube and dirt if someone over oils their chain. The simple fix is the clean the magnet ring and sensor. And make sure they are aligned properly.

On the new Rover 6plus and the City 5plus, the sensor and magnet ring are inside the crank. So more than likely they stay clean unless you spend a lot of time doing stream crossings. With these two bikes, it's a good idea to check the connection where the PAS sensor plugs up to the controller. In fact, I would unplug all the wires to the controller , inspect the pins for straightness and clean out debris. Then plug them back together.

3. The wiring harness could be defective. Inspect the harness to see if it is damaged in any way.

4. The display and/or the selector could be damaged. No way to really tell until you swap it out. If you know someone who has the same bike, borrow their display and selector to see if that corrects the problem.

5. The controller may be bad. If your bike is still in the one year warranty, Rad may choose to send you a new controller.  Controllers are a bear to replace compared to older Rad bikes. The controller is in the frame of the bike and requires very small Allen wrenches and star bits. You may consider having a bike shop install the controller. They will charge you for the install and you will be reimbursed by Rad for the work.

Eric7

When I am riding and my fingers are numb and I can't see the buttons, sometimes I turn off the controller while riding.  Then I try to turn it on while still rolling.
That causes all sorts of error 25 and error 30.

One thing I found that may help is if I turn on the bike when it is absolutely still and not moving.  This I know is an improvement.

Turning off the bike, removing the battery, turning it on again without the battery to fully drain the charge in the controller, then turning it on with the battery attached sometimes help.  I think.  Not sure.

Nittany

Keep getting an error code 30 on startup.    Checked all connections multiple times and removed battery multiple times.   All functions work/light-up except battery indicator is at one bar and throttle won?t respond.    After multiple tries it magically starts working (battery indicator reads full charge and throttle responds) and it remains working as long as I am using it until I shut it off again then it goes back to showing error code 30.   Any suggestions or help appreciated as I live nowhere close to a bike shop that repairs rad bikes.