News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Looking for info on transporting in the folded mode inside an SUV.

Started by RadBoleyRad, December 14, 2021, 06:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

RadBoleyRad

Ive read owner reviews that have put they're folded Mini's into a large tub or tote to transport them in the back of an SUV or a PU truck bed for protection.Has anyone on this site done that and what tote box did they use?

Radding Along

I believe there are padded bags available. Do a search. A tub would take up a lot of room, unless it's sized perfectly.

JimInPT

Quote from: RadBoleyRad on December 14, 2021, 06:50:34 PM
Ive read owner reviews that have put they're folded Mini's into a large tub or tote to transport them in the back of an SUV or a PU truck bed for protection.Has anyone on this site done that and what tote box did they use?

There are two that are claimed to fit that I'm aware of:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-70-Gal-Tough-Storage-Tote-with-Wheels-in-Black-with-Yellow-Lid-206203/313792519
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-50-Gallon-200-Quart-Black-Tote-with-Latching-Lid/1000976084

Here is a pretty nice video showing how to fold them into that second tub for carrying:
https://youtu.be/98AhtVkH7RQ

I went this route instead for my Mini ST; the ramp allows me to walk it on/off the carrier under power using "walking mode" (hold down the PAS down-arrow), no lifting required:
https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-aluminum-motorcycle-carrier-62837.html
I got mine for about $130 delivered; there are almost always HF discount coupons available by searching online.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

RadBoleyRad

Thanks for the replies . I'll look into the padded bags if not too pricey. DejaVu-The 2 tubs listed in JimInPT's post are the exact 2 Ive been looking at and I like the wheels to move the 70lb load around. The folded dimensions per RPB are 44L x 24W x 29H.with out add ons.We will be using them around town and camping with a 32ft TT and for security the tubs will be stowed in the truck bed for those trips.I don't like bike racks hanging off a hitch or trailer bumper especially the weight of Ebikes. This is why we liked the folding feature for storage and travel options.Still waiting for our second bike (RadMini V-4) to ship since ordering on Nov 28th.Wish they came with K-RAD checker-board tires for trails.Kudos to Rad for offering a discount when the tires ever do come back in stock.

JimInPT

Quote from: RadBoleyRad on December 16, 2021, 10:56:17 AMI don't like bike racks hanging off a hitch or trailer bumper especially the weight of Ebikes.

FWIW, that rack I use is designed for dirt motorcycles and is rated to at least 350 lbs on a 2" hitch receiver.  After socking down the included stabilizing clamp, it's as solid as a rock and doesn't move a bit even when I jump on it with the bike strapped down.  I was sort of amazed actually.  Anyway, I think it's a viable option for those who are considering a hitch rack, at a much-lower price than the Hollywoods, although there is no 2-bike version.

As an aside, I found the folding feature a very-attractive aspect of the Minis as well when I ordered it, but since buying it in March, I've folded it exactly twice - just to figure out how to do it.  As I've added more and more mods and accessories, I doubt it would come close to folding as small as shipped from the factory, and the hitch rack means I never need to do it.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

NaturallyRC

As posted elsewhere, I put my mini in my hockey bag -- a large one meant for goalies like me. Lots of pockets for accessories, wheels and a handle. Cheers.

Quote from: RadBoleyRad on December 14, 2021, 06:50:34 PM

RadBoleyRad

I do like the goalie bag idea from NaturallyRC.The wheels and handle are a big plus and storing the soft bag is easier than 2 50 gal totes.I did purchase a folding aluminum loading ramp to use with the truck or suv.Thanks for the input.

NaturallyRC

Cool. Just be sure to get the GOALIE bag size. A regular hockey bag is too petite. The ramp idea is excellent.

Quote from: RadBoleyRad on March 01, 2022, 09:23:02 AM
I do like the goalie bag idea from NaturallyRC.The wheels and handle are a big plus and storing the soft bag is easier than 2 50 gal totes.I did purchase a folding aluminum loading ramp to use with the truck or suv.Thanks for the input.

Breb

I have both the Rad mini st and the Rad mini 4. For traveling I use my pick up truck and take both along on our camping trips. I have a long pull out draw along one side of the box and that reduces the area but am still able to get in #2 Craftsman 50gal. plastic totes in with the rad minis. I will say that even at that size they are snug. It takes two of us to load in the tote and 2 of us to put them into the truck. I have a truck cap on the box and have to take down the handle bars completely to get in. I believe that is about 37 to 38 inch high.

philbtv

We put our Rad Minis in a tub when we transport them in our SUV or RV. The Commander 40 gallon tote, sold at Lowes is a perfect fit. If you need something with wheels then go to Home Depot for a 50 gal HUSKY tote. On both the handle bars will fit outside and you can't use the lid. But they do a good job of protecting the bike and the vehicle. I also took a length of 1" foam pipe insulation and cut it to fit the inside fork-where it folds against the rear of the bike. It keeps the paint from getting dinged up.[/img]
Phil

2021 Rad Mini Step Thru