News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadRover Step-Thru - What are your questions?

Started by Ryan, March 02, 2020, 11:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Ryan

Hi all, I am going to be doing a video in the coming weeks on the RadRover Step-Thru which is the brand new model for 2020. Curious if anyone had any specific questions about the bike that they would like addressed. So far I have only ridden my Wagon and I've never been on a fat tire bike so I can't wait to check it out.  8)

jshill

Can the Step-thru frame be as firm as the traditional Rover frame? It goes against everything I have always heard and believed about bicycle frames to think that it is.

Ryan

Quote from: jshill on May 05, 2020, 06:10:48 PM
Can the Step-thru frame be as firm as the traditional Rover frame? It goes against everything I have always heard and believed about bicycle frames to think that it is.

There is probably some frame flex compared to the regular Rover though I didn't notice anything. The one tube is pretty thick and then of course you have the nice cradle of aluminum around the battery which probably helps a bit as well.

franklewtie

How "manly" is it. I showed a picture to a buddy telling him I was thinking about purchasing and he immediately said "why would you want a girls bike"? I did't look at it like that, I was merely thinking a step thru was more convenient.  :o

Ryan

Quote from: franklewtie on May 06, 2020, 11:24:48 AM
How "manly" is it. I showed a picture to a buddy telling him I was thinking about purchasing and he immediately said "why would you want a girls bike"? I did't look at it like that, I was merely thinking a step thru was more convenient.  :o

Disclaimer: this is coming from someone who doesn't care what people think  8).

It definitely isn't a 'girls' bike and though that stigma of frame type is still around as you pointed out, it is changing with all of these accessible ebikes. This is especially true with older generations hopping on the trend. If the step-thru makes it easier for you to ride then it is a no brainer. If you haven't watched my walk around video I'd recommend it since there are some design features which I really like about the RadRover Step-Thru - mainly the battery placement and bottle cage mounts. I even put together a quick clip of me riding so you can decide for yourself if I look 'manly' enough  ::) https://youtu.be/OIPRMKqjK9o

TDR

Regarding Step thru (girl) vs standard (man) frame, I recently purchased both, one for my Girl Friend and one for me. Being in our 60's, I find the step thru the more desirable option for ease of use.

cal

I agree on everything previously said. We bit on last year's Xmas special and bought a city step through for the wife and a radrover for myself. The size of the radrover is a challenge for me at 66 to mount. Have to really lay the bike on it's side to get on. When the radrover step thru came out I wished I had waited to order one for the wife. I thought it probably would have been a better choice for me but it's a girls bike... The more I rode the more I thought I should have gotten the step thru for myself. I'll get used to the regular radrover but I do agree it's probably a better choice for many regardless of gender.

AzBklyn

Waiting on my step thru.Looks a lot easier than mounting the reg Rover.I hate mounting a big bike.Maybe I am just not that flexible.But I can't wait to be stepping through and not stepping over.

jshill

If I may add to Ryan's reply to my original post about "frame flex" on the Step-thru, I should make clear that this is an issue at the VERY EDGE of performance (racing, Tour de France, etc.), and if there is any, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be a factor for anyone riding the Rad family of bikes. I cannot imagine anyone  going airborne and doing flips on one of the wonderful machines.