News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Error 30

Started by Zeno, November 21, 2021, 05:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Zeno

Hey all. Anyone happen to know an EU source for the wiring harness? [As it happened, after seven weeks they were able to send me one!] We hoped it was the solution to the Error 30 messages that pop up soon after powering on the bike. It wasn't.

Apart from removing the battery and checking ALL the connectors very carefully and reconnecting them, is there anything else to check? The bike's been out of commission for two months. It was great for the one month it worked!

DCH3416

Which model are you running?

Error 30 represents either the controller and/or display are having trouble communicating with each other. You can try replacing one, the other, or both.

Tell us more about error 30. Are you able to run the bike at all? Does it pop up randomly?

Try unplugging everything from your bike apart from the display, controller, motor, and throttle. Does it still kick up the error?

Zeno

Hey thanks for your message. The RW4 is the bike. After unplugging everything except the controller, am still getting the Error 30 message; does that mean the controller is the problem? Or the display or check both? The error message pops up about 20 seconds after powering on.

DCH3416

Did you also unplug the pedal assist sensor? It's the short one that leads to the small black box at the crank.

Check out this thread for more information:
https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=352.msg1754#msg1754

The display and controller work together in tandem, with the display doing the brains of the operation and the controller supplying electronics and driving the wheel. They need to be in constant communication. If there's a problem there it really could be one of the two or both. I just want to rule out other potential variables.

Zeno

Really grateful for you following up!

I hadn't unplugged the PAS cable (the orange Julet cable that connects to the controller, correct?) and just tested...

Still the Error 30, but another variable eliminated –does that mean it's down to the display or controller?

DCH3416

I guess one more quick test would be to test power with just the screen and controller, unplugged throttle, unplugged PAS, no motor, etc. See if that changes.

Beyond that yeah, that's all I've got.

Zeno

Thought I'd unplugged everything, but the motor and throttle were still connected. And....Error 30!

At least now we can confirm it's down to the display & the connector.

Onward!

Update: as of December 14th, I'm still awaiting a solution (i.e. parts) from Rad.