News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Is it only RadRunners having their front wheels fall off?

Started by MagnumPA, November 19, 2021, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

MagnumPA

In case you never click on the RadRunner forum, there is a thread with 3 different people (so far) whose front wheel came off the bike while riding it.   One of them said the quick release skewer snapped.  Has anyone else had this happen on a different Rad bike?

Altema

Radrunners would be more likely than other Rad products to have front wheel component damage. They lack the suspension fork that would reduce the impact forces of bumps and potholes. Still, I don't see how the wheel would fall off if it just comes loose, as the clamping surface is recessed and you can't take a loose wheel off until you give it about six additional turns. Maybe they rode it for a while loose and didn't notice? I forgot to clamp mine down once, but the wheel wouldn't come off. I ride my RadMini over jumps and mountain bike trails, but I have a suspension fork and keep my tire pressure low.

It should be noted that the skewer does not support weight. It only provides tension. However, if the wheel axle is not installed properly and is off to one side, then the skewer would be under vertical loads and could be damaged. That would be a Rad issue of course, unless the user had disassembled the front axle.

MagnumPA

The person who started the thread was riding a RR+ with suspension fork, so it is happening with both models. 

SemperVee

Quote from: MagnumPA on November 19, 2021, 06:39:12 PM
In case you never click on the RadRunner forum, there is a thread with 3 different people (so far) whose front wheel came off the bike while riding it.   One of them said the quick release skewer snapped.  Has anyone else had this happen on a different Rad bike?

I look at posts like that along the same lines as info on back of bleach bottles "not to drink the bleach".   Trolls and utter nonsense for a variety of  pick your choice of reasons or people assembling their bikes who don't know what end of the screw driver to use.   Movin on.

*kinda reminds me of the fool who elected automatic cruise control in his Fleetwood RV and walked back to the bathroom and blamed ther accident on the manufacturer in court or the IDIOT on his Harley Davidson some years back who set the cruise control and ran off the road then sued HD!

Ya can't guarantee morons won't screw it up somehow.   WE the retail public have to suffer fools that corporations insure themselves for that we end up paying for in the end.

bepaul

Mini Step Through - same problem. I think there is a design fault. too many incidents.

Eric7

It seems that the people who has first hand experience are limited to those who have less than 5 posts on the forum and those people don't seem to follow-up or send pictures.  It makes me think the best solution besides checking your bike often is to be a regular contributor to the forum because that appears to be a sure way to prevent this problem.

Altema

Quote from: MagnumPA on November 23, 2021, 09:13:30 AM
The person who started the thread was riding a RR+ with suspension fork, so it is happening with both models.
Good catch, thanks! This would point to product defect or improper installation then. I have 5,000 miles on my RadMini, and take it on frequent mountain bike trails and occasional jumps. No issues with the quick release, but I plan on changing to a through-axle this summer.

Joseph

My front wheel fell off today causing me to crash as I was coasting down hill. When I located the skewer it was broken.... It snapped! I rolled three times and I'm sore as heck, but I'm thankful that I didn't break any bones! I will be contacting RAD Power bikes tomorrow on 5/9/2022. My wife was riding with me and thankfully she suggested that we didn't take the steeper hill down on our way to wish her mother a happy Mother's Day!🚴🏾‍♂️⛑👩🏽‍🦼😖😢

ericwn

Quote from: Joseph on May 08, 2022, 03:57:13 PM
My front wheel fell off today causing me to crash as I was coasting down hill. When I located the skewer it was broken.... It snapped! I rolled three times and I'm sore as heck, but I'm thankful that I didn't break any bones! I will be contacting RAD Power bikes tomorrow on 5/9/2022. My wife was riding with me and thankfully she suggested that we didn't take the steeper hill down on our way to wish her mother a happy Mother's Day![emoji2195][emoji858][emoji1466]‍🦼[emoji37][emoji22]
Can you share an image of that broken part please? Also let us know what RAD responded when you contacted them!

ericwn

Quote from: bepaul on January 20, 2022, 02:27:44 PM
Mini Step Through - same problem. I think there is a design fault. too many incidents.
I'm not dismissing that product problems exist, everything has a weak spot, but as they say:

"Pics or it didn't happen ".

NaturallyRC

Keeping my eye on this one. For reference...

https://wheretheroadforks.com/thru-axle-vs-quick-release-pros-and-cons/

"4. When disc brakes came into widespread use in mountain biking during the early 2000s, a safety issue with quick release axles became apparent. Cyclists found that heavy braking force created by disc brakes can eject a quick release axle out of a U-shaped dropout."

Quote from: Eric7 on January 20, 2022, 03:39:34 PM
It seems that the people who has first hand experience are limited to those who have less than 5 posts on the forum and those people don't seem to follow-up or send pictures.  It makes me think the best solution besides checking your bike often is to be a regular contributor to the forum because that appears to be a sure way to prevent this problem.

Altema

Quote from: Joseph on May 08, 2022, 03:57:13 PM
My front wheel fell off today causing me to crash as I was coasting down hill. When I located the skewer it was broken.... It snapped! I rolled three times and I'm sore as heck, but I'm thankful that I didn't break any bones! I will be contacting RAD Power bikes tomorrow on 5/9/2022. My wife was riding with me and thankfully she suggested that we didn't take the steeper hill down on our way to wish her mother a happy Mother's Day!🚴🏾‍♂️⛑👩🏽‍🦼😖😢
I would also like a picture to see what part of the skewer failed. My front wheel came off last month.

Hehateme

I upgraded with a DT Swiss skewer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tacomanatx

Quote from: Altema on November 21, 2021, 11:56:59 AM
Radrunners would be more likely than other Rad products to have front wheel component damage. They lack the suspension fork that would reduce the impact forces of bumps and potholes.

I rode a full rigid Single Speed MTB for 6+ years over the roughest terrain using a simple QR.  I dont remember on my RadRunner if it has "lawyer tabs" or not but most QR setups do.  These little accessories are designed as a last grasp safety feature for QR.  Both my current MTB and my Gravel Bike have thru axles so this in theory isnt an issue.

tacomanatx

I just looked at my RadRunner and sure enough no lawyer tabs, the forks dont even allow for it.