Author Topic: ABUS lock and rear rack  (Read 2028 times)

Dan7

• View Profile
ABUS lock and rear rack
« on: October 18, 2022, 06:42:43 PM »
I have the ABUS lock on my RadMission and would now like to add the rear rack. It looks like with the lock, there is very little room at the mounts used to attach the rack.  Does anyone have both on their bike - do they fit together?
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 07:00:16 PM by Dan7 »

trepaning

• View Profile
    • Corpse City
Re: ABUS lock and rear rack
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 08:15:13 AM »
I have the back rack and the ABUS lock on my RadMission without issue. They can kind of be seen in this thread https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,1717.0

Dan7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 11:04:57 AM »
Thanks for the response! I can?t see the rack in the photos (I see the fenders) but will give it a try and report back.

trepaning

• View Profile
    • Corpse City
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 01:10:16 PM »

Dan7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 01:51:53 PM »
Awesome, many thanks. Looks great!

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 03:46:51 AM »
I have the ABUS lock on my RadMission and would now like to add the rear rack. It looks like with the lock, there is very little room at the mounts used to attach the rack.  Does anyone have both on their bike - do they fit together?
Thanks in advance!

I put one on my new Radmission the same day you asked. When I saw the mounting points, I saw that the rack wasn't a problem but thought I'd have to take the wheel off to remove the fender. I was able to twist the lock past the fender.

I had bought a D lock weighing 27 ounces when I bought my Radrunner. I may have used it twice. It was a hassle to use and didn't seem necessary. A Radrunner doesn't look inviting without motor power, and the rider would be very conspicuous as I've never seen another except on the internet.

The Radmission looks more inviting, and it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. I use the ABUS even at home in daylight. It's convenient and looks effective. It doesn't look easy to get at with a cutting tool. A thief would have to walk along with the back tire off the ground while steering the front. It's also compatible with the cable I bought with the D lock.

I have so much trouble inserting the key that I might be arrested as an obvious thief with a lock pick resembling a key. I should carry a Radowner's photo ID!

Dan7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 04:38:38 PM »
I was able to install both the lock and the rear rack without taking off the wheel. The rack was a pain and if I had to do it again, I would take the wheel off. But they fit together nicely. The rack is on sale for about $30 and looks much nicer and more solid that most of the wire racks on the market.
Now I need to figure out where to keep the keys! I also bought the saddle bag (also on sale $10) but it does not have any internal compartments or a clip I could use for the keys which is a bummer.
Interestingly my RadMission shipped with the folding bike front and rear lights.  The rear light does not have the flash feature but looks a bit cooler than the stock light so I am kind of indifferent. Not sure if they ran out of the normal lights or if this is a permanent change (assuming the bike is not discontinued).
Dan

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 08:41:39 PM »

Now I need to figure out where to keep the keys! I also bought the saddle bag (also on sale $10) but it does not have any internal compartments or a clip I could use for the keys which is a bummer.

I bought ten dog-tag chains a couple of years ago, when I purchased my Radrunner.
https://amzn.to/3zWKoFh

I had to pry and squeeze connectors to get the slots tight enough but not too tight. I put my battery key and lock key on one chain to wear around my neck. This chain is more durable than brass keychain, but in case it breaks, I hang it under my shirt, which i keep tucked in. The chain makes the keys easy to spot if I misplace them. I haven't misplaced them since I began hanging the chain by the back door.

I use another chain for my Radmission battery and lock keys.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 08:05:29 AM by Ryan »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 08:41:39 PM »