News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Battery charger gets really hot while charging?

Started by fin_rad, February 16, 2020, 09:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

fin_rad

Is it normal for Rad bikes that their charger gets really hot while charging? Or is my charger faulty? Mine gets so hot I cannot place it on any surface that could get damaged from hot temperature. Instead I hang the charger in air with a stand I found from my garage..

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Ryan

That's normal at least in my experience. Best to try to maximize airflow like it seems like you're already doing. I put mine on a cool surface like concrete or a glass table. Just a reminder that Rad recommends you never charge the battery unattended.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

fin_rad

Thanks for the reply. So it seems to be normal for the Rad chargers. Usually heat on charger means budget components inside. My 7 years old 24V ebike's charger just gets slightly warm, so this made me think twice.

And yes, never leave any charger alone while charging. I have seen my Samsung tablet charger starting to melt on the table once... Good luck I was there on right timeand nothing started to burn.

sloppy

All these cheapo included charges get warm to HOT. 

Personally I think its a must upgrade item.  The cycle satiator from grin is awesome.  Luna cycles has user select 80/90/100% chargers. 

Of course using a different charger with more features requires the user to be aware of the other issues that may cause. 

fin_rad

@sloppy I guess you mean this charger?
https://amzn.to/3lNO70H

With this price it must be good! Because RPB is selling their chargers for 45 € in the EU ($39 in the US). And sold out in the EU shop at the moment.. Hope not because too many chargers getting broken... :)

This made me curious how high voltage and current the stock Rad charger charges the battery? I got a cheap voltage/current/watt meter so I will check next time the battery needs charging.

sloppy

Its definitely not low priced. 

Feature wise well it actually has features and can log data so not really comparable at all.