News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Battery lock

Started by Henk Harry, February 13, 2020, 02:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Ryan

Quote from: 1Eye on July 23, 2020, 08:04:38 AM
Just to add to this. I recently saw a YouTube video from Bolton bikes that was talking about bike locks and oddly enough he also talked about how batteries are stolen and specifically pointed out that on RAD bikes (a couple models were tried) that he was able to simply use a key blank and unlock the battery but also to turn on the bike.

If you don't know what a key blank is, it is just the key before any of the grooves are cut on it.

Now granted not just any old blank would work but people who steal bikes will probably  already know which type or carry several as part of their kit.

I actually like Veggyhed's idea about replacing the quick release on the seat post and then just lower the seat and you will have a much harder time getting the battery off.

Yep, these are the blank Honda keys. If you spend enough time on the Lockpicking Lawyers YouTube channel you'll quickly realize nothing is safe. I know with my Abus folding lock alarm I could position it in such a way that it would be hard to remove the battery without triggering the alarm.

1Eye

Ryan, do you like the alarm version of that lock? I was looking at buying the regular version like on Rad's site but did see the alarm version on Amazon.

Is it bey sensitive? Hate to have a lot of false alarms if it is too sensitive.

Ryan

Quote from: 1Eye on July 24, 2020, 10:05:24 AM
Ryan, do you like the alarm version of that lock? I was looking at buying the regular version like on Rad's site but did see the alarm version on Amazon.

Is it bey sensitive? Hate to have a lot of false alarms if it is too sensitive.

Hey 1Eye - yes I have the alarm version of the Bordo 6000 Alarm and I really like it. It is sensitive, but the trick is to make sure that the actual part where it locks isn't going to move due to gravity. So I either make sure it is on the bottom or physically position it on the frame. It's also the longer 120 cm which is a nice to have.

Here is my blog post on it and there is a video as well: https://ebikeescape.com/abus-bordo-big-6000-alarm-review/

Jman

I have a seat post lock on my Radrunner which blocks the battery from being lifted and removed.

Veggyhed

Which seat post lock did you use?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Jman

1Eye

I just got my bike today!! I tried my key on my wife's bike and it worked fine. Didn't look at the numbers on the keys.

GeekAtLarge

In case no one else was aware. A simple Google search will turn up universal Rad Power battery keys sold on Etsy and Ebay. https://bit.ly/3fKsWZy They are very common. A new battery costs $500.00, and a universal key costs less than $15.00. My advise is to bring a backpack on your travels to carry your battery with you when you  walk away from your eBike. Why take a chance on a big-ticket item? All Rad Power bikes use the same batteries and locking system. If I were a thief, I'd buy a universal key. Take my advise and carry your battery with you.

jbfoster

The blanks are cheap. With these keys out there I would not trust my bike anywhere with the battery. I would take the battery off. Currently I don't own a bike lock. I just don't go anywhere I would need to lock up my Radrover. I don't think there is a lock that is 100% secure. I think a lock will only stop a thief that happens to walk by with no tools to steal otherwise a good thief can get your bike no matter what lock you use. I guess the only lock that is 100% is my butt. I have to much invested to trust a bike lock. I really wish I could. There are times I wanted to stop at Walmart on my way home from work.

I do believe this is the key blank.

Jim

sc00ter

I can confirm the SaveYourSeatLock blocks the removal of the battery on a RadRunner 1. Its a fair price and the quality is very nice. I don't use it though because I pull my battery at work and don't worry about ibattery theft while out and about. I went with a HexLox and a bmx seat clamp to keep my seat from getting seat-napped. If you charge your battery on the bike the SaveYourSeat clamp may be a great solution.

Mountaintrails

I have 2 Rad bikes and they have different keys. Keys from each bike can turn the other bike on but will not unlock the battery for removal from the bike.
I am not seeing the concern.

radrover4fun

I have 3 rads with 3 different keys.  If they are on, any key will lock them but not unlock.  I am going to go to the hardware store and get a Honda motorcycle key blank and see if it works to unlock any of them.  I really doubt it, but I will report back.  Honestly I would be happy to have one key to unlock all 3 bikes.

Gary

radrover4fun

Ok so I bought a HD-74 key blank and it works on all three of my Rad bike batteries.  I am glad to be able to use one key.  I am not worried about a random thief knowing this and getting my battery.

Gary

massassi

In my local area the cops are warning people that the thieves have sets of keys for them, and will either take your battery, or snap your lock and drive away, at speed on your bike if you leave the battery with it

radrover4fun

@mass
Quote from: massassi on December 14, 2020, 08:39:06 AM
In my local area the cops are warning people that the thieves have sets of keys for them, and will either take your battery, or snap your lock and drive away, at speed on your bike if you leave the battery with it

Where are you located?

Gary