Author Topic: Battery lock  (Read 26975 times)

Henk Harry

• View Profile
Battery lock
« on: February 13, 2020, 02:37:44 AM »
Hello i just got my second bike and i was surprised to see that my key fits in both battery locks rad says i am lucky that i have a set of the same battery but i dont see it that way they say there are codes on the key lock mine is f 08 when i ask them how many combinations are there because this seems like a real security risk they say a lot whats the highest number you guys have ? i dont feel so secure anymore leaving a 600 euro battery on a bike not even for a quick in and out to the shop
But im not only a hater i have to give props to rad for the quality of the rest of the bike i ride it realy hard of-road every day with a second batery in a back pack full power 50 km every day only other thing i dislike is the tires the thread is much to thin its not realy for of road but aftermarket are not to expensive

Greetings from Hungary
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:42:08 AM by Ryan »

fin_rad

• View Profile
Re: Battery lock
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 03:47:34 AM »
Interesting finding. My key is marked F0x (dont wanna give the number though but the last digit it's not 8 :) ). So, wild guess that it could be from 00 to 99... And the font on the key looks like the same as in many Chinese products, manuals etc. As a comparison, I got a folding lock that cost me over 60 euros, and its keys got 7 characters long id on them.

Would be good if the battery had a proper lock since it is expensive to buy a new one if the old one gets stolen...

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:42:22 AM by Ryan »

Henk Harry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 05:58:34 AM »
i hope it goes until 100 and not 10 otherwise when these become more mainstream and you see a whole rack of hire fleet bikes could be a problem
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:42:44 AM by Ryan »

sloppy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 06:14:37 AM »
Pretty new here.  But I can tell you that most Keys are like this.  You would be very surprised by how many generic or master style keys are on things.  from construction equipment to storage boxes.  Many of them don't even use a range of numbers. 

A range of 0-99 keys is actually pretty secure, heck even 0 to 10.  I can think of several really large ticket items right now that use the exact same key across the entire range.  some of those are the ignition key others are storage boxes. 

this is not common street crook MO.  They will just snatch what they can when they think they can get away with it. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:43:01 AM by Ryan »

Henk Harry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 06:45:26 AM »
ok maybe your right i just had a scare after finding this out i have a caevan and i can open that lock with almost every key i was kind of hoping if people who have 2 baterys with  difrent lock number to try it once 

cheers
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:42:52 AM by Ryan »

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »
It's also worth mentioning that if you're concerned about your battery being stolen you should probably just bring it with you wherever you're going. It isn't hard to remove and in winter it's better to bring it in anyhow.

fin_rad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 08:37:08 PM »
It's also worth mentioning that if you're concerned about your battery being stolen you should probably just bring it with you wherever you're going. It isn't hard to remove and in winter it's better to bring it in anyhow.
This is actually most important thing.

Of course there could be this scenario that you leave your Rad outside the shop for few minutes, and a thief with the correct key would come and thief the battery. But that is a very unlikely thing to happen in my opinion. ;)

And after all there are insurances for bicycles (at least here  in Finland), so you can get some money back from a stolen bike or paid for repairing the damaged parts. And while thinking of it, I should verify that my current insurance plan will cover the battery also....

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

nategeo

• RadWagon 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »
I purchased my bike from the Seattle showroom, and when the salesguy came out to turn on the bike, he had a keyring that had maybe 20 keys on it? It seemed like a pretty low chance of getting the exact same key but they are "semi-unique". At least if you ever lose your keys, they can send you a new set without having to rekey your battery.

fin_rad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 08:37:34 PM »
If a new battery costs $549 or 599 € it would be good to have a decent lock... Almost 50% of the price of the bike itself.

On this video the key and lock mechanism look very similar to Rad's key and lock:
https://youtu.be/ZNamd6m_eOM

On the other hand it is not difficult to thief the whole bike either:
https://youtu.be/-dz0Za5-wOM

rheine3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 08:24:50 PM »
Arm alarm, remove battery, two locks. If we are remote like shopping and going to be more than 20 minutes or so we just lock, arm , and throw the rain cover over them too.   I also have an Internet router on mine so I can send a text alarm. I use Blynk.

*R

fin_rad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »
Sounds interesting, especially that Blynk part. I guess it would let you use gps tracking also? How about weather proofing it, and what location did you put it? And what price did it have?

I am still considering the same, but the price tags on ready products are still quite big. And it should have both alarm and gps tracking. Until then I will trust my lock (just one), luck and insurance company. :)

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 10:18:26 AM »
Arm alarm, remove battery, two locks. If we are remote like shopping and going to be more than 20 minutes or so we just lock, arm , and throw the rain cover over them too.   I also have an Internet router on mine so I can send a text alarm. I use Blynk.

*R

Yes, you must share more about this - very interesting.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »
Looks like this wouldn't be the problem for a standard framed red mini if you keep your saddle low enough you have to raise it up to remove the battery.
So if I was to replace the quick release with a locking skewer battery would be safe.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

JeffGo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 01:45:07 PM »
Interesting thread. Surprised that no one mentioned the universal Honda motorcycle key blank...

1Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 08:04:38 AM »
Just to add to this. I recently saw a YouTube video from Bolton bikes that was talking about bike locks and oddly enough he also talked about how batteries are stolen and specifically pointed out that on RAD bikes (a couple models were tried) that he was able to simply use a key blank and unlock the battery but also to turn on the bike.

If you don’t know what a key blank is, it is just the key before any of the grooves are cut on it.

Now granted not just any old blank would work but people who steal bikes will probably  already know which type or carry several as part of their kit.

I actually like Veggyhed’s idea about replacing the quick release on the seat post and then just lower the seat and you will have a much harder time getting the battery off.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 08:04:38 AM »