News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Radrunner1 Upgrades

Started by Jttoddy, October 25, 2021, 06:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Jttoddy

Hello, first time posting. I have a Radrunner1 and had the following questions;
1.    Will the Bolton 35a controller work with the 1000w Bafang rear hub motor(G062.1000D 06)?
2.    What would be the recommended/best settings to ensure no overheating of any of the
components?
3.    What is the max wattage or volts (not sure how it works) that I should allow it to run at and
for how long?
4.    Can I upgrade any other components, wires, connectors, etc. for less resistance?
Also, I would like to install a new larger 4" to 6" led headlight and blinkers, and had the
following questions;
1.     What would be needed for install? I assume I need a finger switch for blinkers, and possibly
some sort of relay or module.
2.    Will a new headlight work with the Bolton display headlight controls?
I also have and plan to install a dual crown front shock, Tektro Dorado 4 piston brakes, GT
performer handle bars & grips, and Innova 4 1/4" Shield tires.
Will post pics when finished, hopefully this week, controller is delivered tomorrow!
Thanks Again!

CaptainKirk

Hi there, unfortunately I don't have the answer to many of your questions, but I noticed you had an interest in blinkers for your bike.

I'm looking to create a prototype to address this need and I was wondering what about blinkers is most important to you?

For example, is it just better visibility to not get hit by cars? Maybe you want the blinker to make a sound so you know if your blinker is on/off without having to look? Perhaps you want custom colors for blinkers?

Any input is appreciated!

I'm also curious if you made any of these mods to your bike and how they turned out, sounds interesting!

handlebar

The Aventon Abound has turn flashers in the tail light. A reviewer said hand signals are better because, depending on a following driver's position, the lights might not get his attention.

To be seen, I wear a fluorescent yellow reflective vest, like cops and maintenance workers.

The most important change I made to my Radrunner was to move the seat back for better control when I took a hand off the bar to signal. That also made hand signaling safer on my Radmission.

Altema

Quote from: Jttoddy on October 25, 2021, 06:37:10 AM
Hello, first time posting. I have a Radrunner1 and had the following questions;
1.    Will the Bolton 35a controller work with the 1000w Bafang rear hub motor(G062.1000D 06)?
2.    What would be the recommended/best settings to ensure no overheating of any of the
components?
3.    What is the max wattage or volts (not sure how it works) that I should allow it to run at and
for how long?
4.    Can I upgrade any other components, wires, connectors, etc. for less resistance?
Also, I would like to install a new larger 4" to 6" led headlight and blinkers, and had the
following questions;
1.     What would be needed for install? I assume I need a finger switch for blinkers, and possibly
some sort of relay or module.
2.    Will a new headlight work with the Bolton display headlight controls?
I also have and plan to install a dual crown front shock, Tektro Dorado 4 piston brakes, GT
performer handle bars & grips, and Innova 4 1/4" Shield tires.
Will post pics when finished, hopefully this week, controller is delivered tomorrow!
Thanks Again!

1. Check with Area 13 (formerly Bolton), and just ask if their Rad upgrade controller is compatible with the G062. However, if you are staying with the 35amp controller, I'd recommend the 750 watt replacement motor instead. Both motors will handle the full power of that controller, so you won't see a difference. Also, the 750 watt motor is an easy swap, while the G062 needs to be laced into the wheel.
2. Depends on your needs, but as long as there are no errors in the setup, the 35 amp controller does not have enough power to overheat the G062.
3. The Bolton controller will handle up to 52 volt batteries, and will deliver a maximum of 1741 watts.
4. The most important upgrade in wiring will be the scrawny power wires that come from the battery. As for the blinkers, make sure they are 48 volts, and most come with the finger switch. You may need to tap into the power line from the battery, and you'll need an inline fuse where you tap into the power. There are also blinkers that mount on the handlebar ends. Any 48 volt LED headlight should work as long as the current draw is within the Bolton controller specifications. Check with them, as those specs may have changed.

pedrowilliston1

Quote from: handlebar on October 22, 2023, 04:08:12 AM
The Aventon Abound has turn flashers in the tail light. A reviewer said hand signals are better because, depending on a following driver's position, the lights might not get his attention.

To be seen, I wear a fluorescent yellow reflective vest, like cops and maintenance workers.

The most important change I made to my Radrunner was to move the seat back for better control when I took a hand off the bar to signal. That also made hand signaling safer on my Radmission.
[emoji106]