Author Topic: Flat out vs slime for punctures  (Read 5528 times)

Veggyhed

• View Profile
Flat out vs slime for punctures
« on: October 19, 2021, 12:35:19 PM »
Has anybody used flat out instead of slime and their inner tubes? I'm currently running flat out in my tubes along with tannus armor.
The video below is from Bolton e-bikes testing the various antipuncture measures one can use.

https://youtu.be/-X0y-2AsGRk

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Rick B

• View Profile
Re: Flat out vs slime for punctures
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 07:00:14 PM »
Veggyhed - this is a great question.  I watched the video and it sure looks like Flat Out is the product to use.   Is there a down side to using Slime or Flat Out?

I'm surprised no one has responded to your inquiry.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 10:23:22 AM »
I added flat out to the tubes along with tannus armour inserts on my mini 4. So far no punctures.
I just purchased Rad runner Plus and I bought the tannus armour and added flat out. Hopefully we will never have to walk home again.

Spoonbender

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 11:47:21 AM »
Has anybody used flat out instead of slime and their inner tubes? I'm currently running flat out in my tubes along with tannus armor.
The video below is from Bolton e-bikes testing the various antipuncture measures one can use.

https://youtu.be/-X0y-2AsGRk

I use flat out in my desert race motorcycle, the stuff is awesome! I hit cactuses and sharp rocks all over in Eastern             wa. When I change tires I?m always amazed at how many holes that were plugged by the stuff. Run it in all my bicycles.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 04:46:21 PM by Spoonbender »
Ride every day you can :)-

rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 05:23:03 PM »
Flat out lasts for 10 years and slime says it stays liquid 2 years. Flat out cleans up easy with water, slime is hard to clean up after a leak. Leaves a green slimy mess.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 08:57:06 PM »
It is hard to say whether one is better than the other based on cleanup ability or longevity.  What you want, I assume, is the ability to plug a hole?  The harder-to-clean-up one (Slime) can be said to be more tenacious, sticker, more reactive, and quicker sealing and that is why it last only 2 years.

I am just saying there are different ways to interpret data.  Maybe Flat-Out is better.  I don't have a personal preference.  But easier to clean up and life in an inner tube does not imply Flat Out is better. 

I am not related financially professionally or in any other way to either company.

Radio Runner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 03:41:08 PM »
Flat Out has been awesome, In the last 3 weeks ive had 3 nails, big ones puncture my tire and its still holding air. It wont work forever I know but so far I've been really impressed. Im using 16oz in a 20x4 tire. That's double whats necessary but its better on the long run since a tiny bit dribbles out from time to time.

Scotty Kay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 09:44:18 AM »
The guy from Bolton ebikes (Area 13) does an awesome video on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0y-2AsGRk

Roverdrive

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 08:43:28 AM »
I've never used any goop in my tubes as most of my riding has been on road bikes with relatively easy to change tires.  Thinking about it now that I have an RR+
Was wondering how much either/both of these products flow/move around in the tires after they are put in.  If the bike sits a while do they sort of pool in the bottoms of the tube and need to get re-dispersed by riding a little?

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 07:24:08 PM »
Regardless of what the manufacturer says, the fluid will surely slowly harden over its lifetime and if you allow the tire to sit, I can't see how it would not pool and solidify. I suggest using the fluid in the beginning of the riding season and do some riding - presumably, that is a fun activity and not a chore.  I think over a 10 mile ride, the fluid should be well distributed.

Will it pool over the winter? Possibly.  There is not much you can do.  But it is an electric bike and you are not racing so that should be OK. in the spring you will be riding again and distributing it again even if it gets viscous a bit it should be OK. The slime only last 2 years so it should be OK.  At the end of 3-4 years, just replace the tire and tube.  It is the safest to keep the tire and tube fresh and that's about the life of a tire for me.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 07:29:11 PM by Eric7 »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 07:24:08 PM »