News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Ryan, what's the deal with the new Plus models' battery lock?

Started by JimInPT, October 14, 2021, 11:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JimInPT

Quote from: Ryan on September 22, 2021, 05:07:20 AM
Seems like the "Plus" model trend continues with the RadCity 5 Plus: https://ebikeescape.com/radcity-5-plus-review/

If you decide to purchase one please consider using the forums links to Rad's site prior to purchase. I'll hopefully get my hands on one soon for a full review. My quick take is it is pretty easy to justify the extra $200 compared to the other RadCity models. Curious to hear what others think.

Hey Ryan, I've got a question about both new "Plus" models.

I'm about 20 mins into your just-released full Rover 6P review and am a little confused about the new keyswitch setup.  Is the keyed lock only for locking the battery to the frame and unlocking it for removal - there is no longer an "off-locked" position as with my MiniST, where electrical power to the bike is off but the battery is still mechanically locked in place?

If so, does that mean these two new models have no way to keep somebody from just walking up to your bike, pushing the power button on and riding away with it?  I find it hard to believe that might be true, but that's why I'm asking. 

That would imply the only anti-theft methods for leaving the bike even for a minute or two are either to lock it to something with an aftermarket lock every time or remove the battery?  Stinky if true, and I'd suggest explicitly mentioning this in future reviews if it is indeed the case.

Good job on the review; thanks for it.  Still happy with and sticking to my MiniST, but always interested in new model differences and possible improvements.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

leoke

I am a newbie for electric bike uk, I got a ebike just now for daily commute. It really helps me.

ericwn

If that's the case that should be a call out for a strong con in any review.

JimInPT

Quote from: ericwn on November 06, 2021, 02:35:37 PM
If that's the case that should be a call out for a strong con in any review.

I agree, Eric, and although I haven't watched or read every review, I have yet to find a single one that points it out specifically - I sort of inferred it from watching vids of the lock being used to pop the battery out, then asked and had it confirmed on this forum by a couple of owners. 

I think it's a more-than-important point to make; it would have made me nuts if I'd bought one of those bikes and didn't find out about this until I was assembling it.

RadishOnWheels

Just purchased RadCity 5 plus. Definitely true. No way to turn off battery. Key is required to remove battery only. Can replace battery without the key once it is off the frame. I find it to be a negative myself. Though a person can still ride a bike away with a battery turned off and locked type system, at least they won't have electrical power to do so and have that advantage. Just my 2cents

SemperVee

In this day and age I can hardly believe this!!!  There must be more securing thought brought by production for security issues - not less!  SMH...

JimInPT

Quote from: SemperVee on March 02, 2022, 07:45:55 AMIn this day and age I can hardly believe this!!!  There must be more securing thought brought by production for security issues - not less!  SMH...

I've pondered the thought that if I were a Rad executive, I'd be a little worried about negligent-design civil lawsuits once enough of them are easily stolen by opportunistic thieves who have figured out what to look for in front of the cafes.  People will "just stop for a minute to grab a quick coffee." 

Since it was a solved issue in the previous generations, they can't argue "it's coming later as a new feature".

Slowrider

Don't leave it unsecured?...  Unless you're at the bottom of a hill it's not hard to pedal the thing away.

I'm not disagreeing that there should be some way to disable the motor with a key though.  My issue is more for safety reasons especially with the possibility of children being hurt.  Just please don't think a motor cut off is securing your bike.  You're just asking for someone to take it.

Ddaybc

With modern electric technology why not move the key to the bike frame, use it to lock and unlock the battery for install and removal and also have the key lock the hub drive when not installed? One could still ride the bike without the battery if needed, just insert the key and unlock the hub. We are not supposed to ride them with the key installed anyway so we are already carrying it in our pockets.
The bike is more secure, the bike can still be ridden with or without the battery and it makes it much more difficult to steal unless one has help.