News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Radwagon 4 EU Max Speed

Started by Cocoz, October 11, 2021, 05:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Cocoz

Hi guys, I know that this speed limit has been discussed before and there are some videos around explaining how to increase max speed limit of our radwagons but they all seem to be from the US where the Wagon is equipped with a 750W motor and already a way higher speed limit than the EU's.
Did anybody try the same trick with a 250W motor?
If so what is the max speed that you can achieve without pedaling?
Many thanks for any help

Ddaybc

I'm not sure about the EU max speed but here in Canada we are limited to 500W and 32 kms per hour. I have updated my max speed to 40 kms per hour as 32 was too slow. I haven't tested it yet as I only updated it today. I used the same instructions as someone posted on Youtube for their Rad Runner.
They had the same LCD display and controller buttons as I have on my Radwagon 4 so I thought, what the hell, it should work. If you watch the video and the display and controller buttons look like yours then give it a try.
I have no idea on how fast a Radwagon 4 would go without pedalling as I always pedal. Sorry, can't help you there.

Ddaybc

Today I tested the reprogramming for the top speed for my Radwagon 4 as I mentioned yesterday. The instructions for the modifications on the Rad Runner worked on my Rad 4 and I was able to achieve 38.5 kms. I couldn't get up to 40 Kms as I couldn't pedal fast enough (injury preventing me from moving my legs faster) and I didn't think to try with just the throttle.
I did note, however, that my watt output readings never went over 498 watts although it has hit 500 watts in the past. The temperature was 5C so maybe it had some effect?
The controller is a 17 amp controller so, somehow, the controller is limiting the wattage as 48 Volts times 17 amps gives 816 watts. Something in the controller is limiting the output wattage. Maybe that's how they are limiting the ebikes to EU standards of 250w, Canadian standards of 500w and American standards of 750w. Something in the controller is limiting not only the top speed but also the output wattage.

Cocoz

Quote from: Ddaybc on October 12, 2021, 01:31:28 PM
Today I tested the reprogramming for the top speed for my Radwagon 4 as I mentioned yesterday. The instructions for the modifications on the Rad Runner worked on my Rad 4 and I was able to achieve 38.5 kms. I couldn't get up to 40 Kms as I couldn't pedal fast enough (injury preventing me from moving my legs faster) and I didn't think to try with just the throttle.
I did note, however, that my watt output readings never went over 498 watts although it has hit 500 watts in the past. The temperature was 5C so maybe it had some effect?
The controller is a 17 amp controller so, somehow, the controller is limiting the wattage as 48 Volts times 17 amps gives 816 watts. Something in the controller is limiting the output wattage. Maybe that's how they are limiting the ebikes to EU standards of 250w, Canadian standards of 500w and American standards of 750w. Something in the controller is limiting not only the top speed but also the output wattage.

Thanks for the reply Ddaybc.
I haven't received the bike yet, it is taking ages for Rad to deliver it but I will try that trick as soon as it arrives.
I also find another solution in the meantime if the first one does not work: the eggrider. It's a display that it programmed to unleash the potential of a Rad bike that in the EU is restricted to 250W. The motor is the same as the US version which is restricted to 750W though.
The Eggrider is plug & play so easy peasy to install and it's around £100 in the UK so no expensive.
Will let you know as soon as Rad will be bother to deliver my bike ordered more than 3 months ago!

JimInPT

A 250 watt limit in the EU - really?  Is everybody in the EU a frightened little French girl?
That just astounds me; can cargo bikes climb hills with a load of goods or kids on 250w maximum?

Hope you can hack the bikes to do what you wish, and then do the same to your politicians.

I just placed an order with Bolton for a 35A controller to bump the power of my MiniST2 to at least 1,500 watts for the occasions it'll come in handy, but 750 covers 90% of the hill climbing I do now pretty well.  Forum member Altema has tested the factory "750w" motor with this upgrade and says it can handle that power level all day long (and in real life use that never happens, of course).  He consciously attempted to burn out that motor to see its limits and could not do it.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

TheGravelGrinder

Hi !
We have our RadWagon 4 for a month now
It's a EU version with 250w motor
We ride at about 32/33km/h with the video trick which works very well
Enjoy !

Cocoz

Quote from: TheGravelGrinder on October 21, 2021, 01:02:29 AM
Hi !
We have our RadWagon 4 for a month now
It's a EU version with 250w motor
We ride at about 32/33km/h with the video trick which works very well
Enjoy !

Thanks mate! Even on the throttle or just pedalling?
Cheers

TheGravelGrinder

We have to pedal but the throttle seems more powerful
UE version doesn't allow only throttle above 7/8km/h, but it helps a lot to start the bike (with level 5 pedal assist)

Cocoz

Quote from: TheGravelGrinder on October 21, 2021, 05:03:56 AM
We have to pedal but the throttle seems more powerful
UE version doesn't allow only throttle above 7/8km/h, but it helps a lot to start the bike (with level 5 pedal assist)

Thanks buddy. So the only way would be the eggrider then. Cheers

Cocoz

Ok guys, the Wagon has finally arrived.
After a couple of days I tried to hack on the video to increase the speed at which the motor cut off.
I increased it to 40km/h but nothing has changed. The bike is stuck to the factory limit.
I was reading somewhere else that it looks like this trick does not work any longer on the newest bikes.
Any other idea please?

Tony

250 watt euro spec is not much fun on an electric bike. The controller is restricting the power output. Change it to the 35 amp controller, also available in the U.K. it comes complete with a new display so you can then change your max speed. You also get full throttle use as well. 

Cocoz

Quote from: Tony on November 29, 2021, 05:36:11 AM
250 watt euro spec is not much fun on an electric bike. The controller is restricting the power output. Change it to the 35 amp controller, also available in the U.K. it comes complete with a new display so you can then change your max speed. You also get full throttle use as well.

I know about the controller but I don't need the power that comes with it. I am carrying two kids so I am not looking to do 40mph on the throttle!

I just need a tiny bit more assistance from the motor.

DCH3416

Quote from: Cocoz on November 29, 2021, 08:17:04 AM

I know about the controller but I don't need the power that comes with it. I am carrying two kids so I am not looking to do 40mph on the throttle!

I just need a tiny bit more assistance from the motor.

You're not gonna get 40mph out of the stock motor. What the 35 amp controller does is allow you to configure things like the wattage output, top speed, etc.

Omidia Ramin

Get an eggrider. It will do what you want. Big game bikes sells them.

I have ones, I love it!

900 watts.

Cocoz

Quote from: Omidia Ramin on November 29, 2021, 01:05:47 PM
Get an eggrider. It will do what you want. Big game bikes sells them.

I have ones, I love it!

900 watts.

Thanks , I know it but I think it's an awful display. Pity because it's very handy