Author Topic: Shifter problems  (Read 6280 times)

Glassartguy

• View Profile
Shifter problems
« on: April 01, 2020, 06:57:02 PM »
As I was riding my Rad bike today the bike kept shifting, by itself. As i manipulated the shifter arm, i couldn’t get it to stay in any specific gear, it kept shifting to seventh gear. I had to hold the shifter lever by hand to keep the bike in first gear as a went up a couple of long hills. Before i start taking the shifter apart, any hints about this? Anyone else have this problem?

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Shifter problems
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 07:08:24 PM »
Probably not aligned properly or maybe even a bent derailleur hanger.

This video describes the skipping you seem to be experiencing: https://youtu.be/VzrpC7jrz8U

Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Glassartguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 03:16:36 PM »
Thanks for your reply Ryan, I looked at the video and it wasn't quite what i needed, although I did learn a couple of things it are good to know. I took off the shifter and found that it had a broken plastic part inside, which is why it kept wanting to go to 7th gear. I know Rad City would have taken care of it, but that's a $30.00 ferry ride and a big hassle, especially right now. Reordered the exact same part and it just came today. Put it on, adjusted the cable and it is like new. That brings us to another question. I'm a bit concerned at the quality of the shifter itself. Does anyone out there know of one that is more durable? Or is my problem an outlier, and probably something that won't happen again. The bike is only a couple of hundred miles old. I don't mind spending a bit more to get a component that is more robust.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:49:16 PM »
Thanks for your reply Ryan, I looked at the video and it wasn't quite what i needed, although I did learn a couple of things it are good to know. I took off the shifter and found that it had a broken plastic part inside, which is why it kept wanting to go to 7th gear. I know Rad City would have taken care of it, but that's a $30.00 ferry ride and a big hassle, especially right now. Reordered the exact same part and it just came today. Put it on, adjusted the cable and it is like new. That brings us to another question. I'm a bit concerned at the quality of the shifter itself. Does anyone out there know of one that is more durable? Or is my problem an outlier, and probably something that won't happen again. The bike is only a couple of hundred miles old. I don't mind spending a bit more to get a component that is more robust.

Glad you were able to solve the issue. My guess is this was just a fluke. They are not the highest quality of derailleurs but I have over 3,000 miles on my RadWagon and haven't had any issues.

Glassartguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 07:46:35 PM »
Ryan, that is really good to hear. I’ll stop worrying about that.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 07:46:35 PM »