Author Topic: 12 volt accessory adapter charging  (Read 2626 times)

rutrowlb

• View Profile
12 volt accessory adapter charging
« on: September 22, 2021, 03:52:08 PM »
Not provide a dissertation on y 12 volt adapter battery charging is useful. My first attempt was charging the battery using 150 watt inverter that one didn't work. Next attempt was using a 300 watt inverter that also failed. Suspect the sine wave Distortion in the output is too great to support the bat rad battery charger I have a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter on order and let you know how it works. By the way this can be useful for people that have simple RVs and want to charge their battery and are too lazy to rewire their camper for some other kind of inverter if somebody already found an inverter that works with a 12-volt adapter already let me know what you ordered

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
Re: 12 volt accessory adapter charging
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 04:07:16 PM »
Not sure what your problem is. I have a Cen-Tech 400W modified sine wave inverter that runs the Rad charger just fine. I got it for less than $30 at Harbor Freight a few years ago.

rutrowlb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 05:24:38 PM »
Not sure what your problem is. I have a Cen-Tech 400W modified sine wave inverter that runs the Rad charger just fine. I got it for less than $30 at Harbor Freight a few years ago.
3 have not worked 150, 200 and 300w maybe 400w is the difference your 400w if it has a 12v std assec plug I will give it a try

Joel52334

• Using my RPW4 for my cardiac rehab.
    • View Profile
    • Oh the things I know & do! --(under construction)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 11:11:36 PM »
I assume you want to have complete installations of this gear!  I believe your question gives a vibe that you dabble in DC power sources.  Technically a buck converter (in a waterproof box) would take 48v down to 12v. 
They are a simple inexpensive device.  AliExpress, Amazon, can't go to RadioShack.  I know the last one I needed was online.
Well Wishes, JLH
I'm an RW4 owner. I'm not using any of these ancient forums. (ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM). Instead look for @joelhuebner, joel.huebner, joel.huebner@gmail.com, joel52334.
That's where you will find me.
This forum uses UTC time. GMT-0.  I'm at GMT-5 CDT.

rutrowlb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 05:14:57 PM »
Finally found one that worked it has a real sine wave output. The peak converter spikes was causing me problems. I just ended up getting four different ones and none of them worked. The sine wave one worked. So I see others have bought some it didn't end up with my problem I think it's just a hit and miss deal. Just go to Amazon and search for a 12 volt inverter with sine wave output. Just so you know I'm an electrical engineer and I design dc-to-dc converter for the last 25 years. Didn't want to get technical just was looking for simple easy solutions. Without knowing the design of the rad charger a sine wave output is a safer solution also a good solution if you're charging expensive laptops

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 06:28:44 PM »
Finally found one that worked it has a real sine wave output. The peak converter spikes was causing me problems. I just ended up getting four different ones and none of them worked. The sine wave one worked. So I see others have bought some it didn't end up with my problem I think it's just a hit and miss deal. Just go to Amazon and search for a 12 volt inverter with sine wave output. Just so you know I'm an electrical engineer and I design dc-to-dc converter for the last 25 years. Didn't want to get technical just was looking for simple easy solutions. Without knowing the design of the rad charger a sine wave output is a safer solution also a good solution if you're charging expensive laptops

What is a real sine wave? from my understanding of inverters there is pure sine wave and modified sine wave. If you are going to run medical equipment and higher end electronics I would get a pure sine wave inverter. Modified sine wave would probably be ok to run tools like saws and drills. I'm no expert but that what I've read before purchasing my pure sine wave 300 watt inverter. I bought my inverter to run my laptop and RV battery charger. I've never tried charging my Rover 5.

Jim

rutrowlb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 07:24:20 PM »

What is a real sine wave? from my understanding of inverters there is pure sine wave and modified sine wave. If you are going to run medical equipment and higher end electronics I would get a pure sine wave inverter. Modified sine wave would probably be ok to run tools like saws and drills. I'm no expert but that what I've read before purchasing my pure sine wave 300 watt inverter. I bought my inverter to run my laptop and RV battery charger. I've never tried charging my Rover 5.

Jim
  Pier signwave inverter is a complicated subject. In general to run your computer you want to use a sign wave inverter. All inverters distort the sign wave to some degree. In general It is recommended that your inverter have no more than approximately 5% total harmonic distortion. Many non sign wave inverters inverters can range  Up to 45% total harmonic distortion. What the heck does this all mean. Picture an inverter that puts out a square wave. A square wave has very fast rise in fall times or a fast dv/dt.... what that  Means A square wave will create higher peak currents In the device you're driving. That can increase  The electronics failure rates and  Decrease reliability On your charging dongle. What  Happens To the charging dongle when it fails It's hard to say Without analyzing the failure modes and effects. All I know is the darn battery is expensive and don't want the charging system the break  Complicated battery management system electronics.

rutrowlb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 07:27:23 PM »

Jim
  Pier signwave inverter is a complicated subject. In general to run your computer you want to use a sign wave inverter. All inverters distort the sign wave to some degree. In general It is recommended that your inverter have no more than approximately 5% total harmonic distortion. Many non sign wave inverters inverters can range  Up to 45% total harmonic distortion. What the heck does this all mean. Picture an inverter that puts out a square wave. A square wave has very fast rise in fall times or a fast dv/dt.... what that  Means A square wave will create higher peak currents In the device you're driving. That can increase  The electronics failure rates and  Decrease reliability On your charging dongle. What  Happens To the charging dongle when it fails It's hard to say Without analyzing the failure modes and effects. All I know is the darn battery is expensive and don't want the charging system the break  Complicated battery management system electronics.

Any quality inverter Has the total harmonic distortion specified THD %

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 07:27:23 PM »