Author Topic: Another new Rad model: RadCity 5 Plus  (Read 3527 times)

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Another new Rad model: RadCity 5 Plus
« on: September 22, 2021, 05:07:20 AM »
Seems like the "Plus" model trend continues with the RadCity 5 Plus: https://ebikeescape.com/radcity-5-plus-review/

If you decide to purchase one please consider using the forums links to Rad's site prior to purchase. I'll hopefully get my hands on one soon for a full review. My quick take is it is pretty easy to justify the extra $200 compared to the other RadCity models. Curious to hear what others think.

Mori55

• View Profile
Re: Another new Rad model: RadCity 5 Plus
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 08:07:07 AM »
I have the rover 6 plus on order. I wonder if I should switch to this model ? Shame I don’t live where I could test ride one.

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 08:53:04 AM »

I returned a City ST as it was not comfortable, sophisticated, evolved, etc and came home with a Mini 4 that fits me much better but I am very temped to EVOLVE upto the new City 5 with all the new more elegant evolution of the design!

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 10:02:38 AM »
It looks like they're going to migrate the Rover 6's changes to most or all of the lineup, as we'd expect.  Nice to see they finally put a decent motor onboard the City.  But the idea of having to live in a city just gives me hives.   :D
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 10:08:09 AM »
I have the rover 6 plus on order. I wonder if I should switch to this model ? Shame I don’t live where I could test ride one.

If it were me, the biggest factor would be whether or not all riding would be done on paved roads.  The City looks like its name; designed for pavement, period.  I think even wet grass would be skeevy on those tires except for agile people with sharp reflexes.  But they will be far more efficient using the battery power than Rover tires.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 08:12:41 PM »
I did a video compiling my thoughts and walking through some of the things for potential buyers to think about: https://youtu.be/uETPjNTuF0c

Christi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 08:41:53 PM »
I just returned from the San Diego/Imperial Beach store.  I tried the new RadCity 5.  Very nice.  However here is my issue.  The tires.  Strictly for PAVED city road use.  I talked extensively with a service person and asked if a more "treadey" tire is available.  Answer?  No, and if you put on a third-party tire it would most likely void the warranty.  Plus the rim is different. And he also said, they have zero parts yet for when they actually get some in stock.  Interesting.  I did like the quick response of the motor. But the fact that the tires are so designed for strictly commuting on pavement, it's a no-go for me. 

I then tried the Rad City 3.  Tires are 26" x 2.3" and have better tread ( at least some ability to ride on a hard gravel surface). I live in the desert so sand is an issue on roads, I need a little tread.   

Next thing I tried:  the RadRunner Plus.   Now I'm not a big fan of bigger tires, but this was not too bad.  20" x 3.3" tires. 

Thanks everyone.

FridayIsTheBestDay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 09:15:25 AM »
Reading the warranty I'm not too worried about the tires invalidating the warranty, unless somehow the tires actually cause the damage.

Can you say more about the rims being different?

Christi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 01:49:16 PM »
Hi Newbie, I wish I could say a lot more about the rims.  It's just what the service gentleman said to me.  I can say this,  when I tried the City 3 and then compared it to another model with the same size tires, we all saw that the rims were different even though the tire "size" was the same.  It's a shame, so proprietary on everything. 

I'm going back to SD to try them again.  My only concern with the City 3 is the torque. 40 nm.  Wish it was 80 like the City 5 or the RadRunner Plus. 

Thanks everyone.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 04:49:28 PM »
Seems like the "Plus" model trend continues with the RadCity 5 Plus: https://ebikeescape.com/radcity-5-plus-review/

If you decide to purchase one please consider using the forums links to Rad's site prior to purchase. I'll hopefully get my hands on one soon for a full review. My quick take is it is pretty easy to justify the extra $200 compared to the other RadCity models. Curious to hear what others think.

Hey Ryan, I've got a question about both new "Plus" models.

I'm about 20 mins into your just-released full Rover 6P review and am a little confused about the new keyswitch setup.  Is the keyed lock only for locking the battery to the frame and unlocking it for removal - there is no longer an "off-locked" position as with my MiniST, where electrical power to the bike is off but the battery is still mechanically locked in place?

If so, does that mean these two new models have no way to keep somebody from just walking up to your bike, pushing the power button on and riding away with it?  I find it hard to imagine that's true, but that's why I'm asking. 

That would imply the only anti-theft methods for leaving the bike even for a minute or two are either to lock it to something with an aftermarket lock every time or remove the battery?  Stinky if true, and I'd suggest explicitly mentioning this in future reviews if it is indeed the case.

Good job on the review; thanks for it.  Still happy with and sticking to my MiniST, but always interested in new model differences and possible improvements.

Samsquam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 12:53:16 PM »
We tested the City 5+ out on Friday and ordered 2 as soon as we got home.

FridayIsTheBestDay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 04:42:43 AM »

Congrats!  What were your impressions versus the other models?

Another poster mentioned the tires.  Did you get a feel for if the tires could be replaced with something a little grippier?

Samsquam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 06:41:36 PM »

Congrats!  What were your impressions versus the other models?

Another poster mentioned the tires.  Did you get a feel for if the tires could be replaced with something a little grippier?

We tested it along with the new Rover. Settled on the City because we mostly cruise on paved and gravel trails. The tires seemed just fine. They are quiet and didn't seem unstable at all. I like the 27" size.
My wife is 5'2" and the Bike fits her perfectly.
I can get back to you after we put them through their paces. Our Rad Rep said they do just fine on dirt and gravel.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 06:41:36 PM »