News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Dropper seatposts

Started by jastewart325, April 06, 2022, 09:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jastewart325

I'm new to ebiking, bought a City 5 Plus 3 weeks ago. I have been away from cycling for several years but used to do a lot of road biking. At the start of my first ride, I fell over--and pretty hard. I think I may have broken something in my shoulder, but it seems to be healing well. Anyway, I had trouble starting out and tried to stop with one-toe support (I had set the saddle height for road bike pedaling efficiency). The weight of the bike bowled me over.

I have talked to several people who are riding much lower due to wanting to be able to plant their feet solidly when they stop. I want to keep my butt high enough for efficient pedaling but of course don't want to fall over again, so I'm going to try a "dropper" seatpost that will allow me to drop the seat when I stop, then raise it again quickly when I start again. These are used mostly on mountain bikes, but it seems they might be useful for a variety of ebikes as well.

What are people's thoughts and experiences with dropper posts?

Ddaybc

I have been investigating dropper posts for a while. I have learned I need a 200 mm dropper post on my RW4 as I have a bad leg but, like you, I like to have my seat high enough for efficient peddling. It also needs to be low enough that I can swing my leg/foot over the seat to get on and off the bike. For some reason I am not able to step over the centre portion of the bike even though it is quite low. Age and injuries taking their toll I guess.  ::)
Initially I looked at PNW suspension dropper post. It looks fantastic, has a great reputation and the company has good reviews. If I could step over the centre of my bike I would get it. However, after taking lots of measurements, experimenting with seat heights etc I have realized I need the 200 mm dropper post. It's not a suspension one but I have already installed a cushioned seat so when I get the dropper post I'll transfer my seat.
Many people are using dropper posts on street bikes, gravel bikes and, of course, mountain and downhill bikes. Get one if you feel the need. I will have mine before the summer is over.

jastewart325

Yes--I forgot to mention that I have a stepthrough. I guess if you need 200 mm your choices are limited. I got a KS ETEN post 100 mm, the cheap kind with a lever under the seat. After a 20-mile group ride yesterday with lots of stops and starts, I decided I don't need it--just need to be mindful when I stop and get off the seat. Also, taking one hand off the handlebar to lower it seemed a little chancy. The kind that operate from a lever on the handlebar are probably great but more expensive, with the lever and cables usually costing extra.

NaturallyRC

Interesting, and following. I have always thought of a drop post as a hop-up to go fast. Tried one, decided I didn't need one, since I don't race. I ride with my seat very high, and slide forward at a light to plant both feet when I need to collapse forward over the bars until I get my breath back.

Quote from: jastewart325 on April 06, 2022, 09:30:15 PM

I'm going to try a "dropper" seatpost that will allow me to drop the seat when I stop, then raise it again quickly when I start again. These are used mostly on mountain bikes, but it seems they might be useful for a variety of ebikes as well.

What are people's thoughts and experiences with dropper posts?

Ddaybc

jastewart325, interesting about the dropper post you're using. I didn't know they had them with a lever under the seat. On my RW4 I use the quick release lever of the upper seat post to raise and lower the seat when I get on and off my bike. It works very well as I set the lower, telescopic section, to the height that allows me to extend the upper one to the maximum for correct pedalling. It has a stopper in it to prevent it from coming up too far so it works very well. My seat gets low enough for me to get my leg over it and then high enough for efficient pedalling. Pretty good design actually. However it's very inefficient and awkward as I have to always reach down to release the seat or tighten it to ride. A lever would work so much better as I could lower the seat when coming to a stop or raise it when taking off.

NaturallyRC

My brother has a super-convenient little lever on the handlebars next to the shifter, of his expensive all carbon mtb.

Quote from: Ddaybc on April 09, 2022, 08:03:23 AM
jastewart325, interesting about the dropper post you're using. I didn't know they had them with a lever under the seat.

Ddaybc

Quote from: jastewart325 on April 08, 2022, 07:26:46 PM
I guess if you need 200 mm your choices are limited. I got a KS ETEN post 100 mm, the cheap kind with a lever under the seat. The kind that operate from a lever on the handlebar are probably great but more expensive, with the lever and cables usually costing extra.
You are totally right, the lever and cables are an extra cost unless one already has the cable and lever for their dropper post.
Unfortunately I'm limited with what I can do and the 200 mm is about what I think I need. I was originally looking at the PNW suspension dropper post but it's only 120 mm (I think, maybe as much as 140?). I tried every setting I could think of in various combinations with the RW4 telescopic seat posts, from 100 mm all the way to 200 mm. 180 mm is close but 200 gets me on and off the bike without issues and allows me to ride with correct leg extension as well as not requiring excessive knee flexion during the top of the pedal cycle.

FL-GK

I have to admit, after seeing the PNW, I'm convinced this is a great solution. First, in my experience, a seat suspension is a must have on e-bike if nothing else because of the longer distances, generally heavier bikes and the noticeably less fatigue throughout the ride. So I bought a couple inexpensive ones right away to get by while deciding between probably the Suntour and Thudbuster, but no longer, I've decided on this solution.

So now all I have to do is save up $600.00 (yes, I know they are $300.00 for post and lever, but I'm married, so it's two of everything for me- LOL)!

That said I'm super glad I ran across this. Really I think this deserves a look by everyone as the seat height is 100% an issue because the set up for riding is NOT the same setup for stopping. Yes, you can quickly make manual seat height adjustments (and keep $600.00 in your pocket, some will argue) which is what I currently do but it's much easier for me then say my wife who is much smaller stature and it's much more difficult for her to jump off her bike bend, quickly loosen lock nut, then lower or raise, quickly tighten lock nut, yeah it's not even that easy or convenient for me.

Lastly how SWEET will my Rad City 5 Plus HS look with the orange lever inset to compliment it's own orange touches? That alone makes me want it - LOL

chopday

Following along this interesting topic..