News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Pulsing

Started by mamedy01, December 04, 2019, 06:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

mamedy01

Hello to everyone. New to ebikes but have been biking for more decades than I care to remember. I and my wife have gotten a couple new Rad City bikes for fun around town and to carry on our rv. 
I have noticed what seems to be a pulsing sensation when in pedal assist mode (any of them) but not in throttle mode.  PAS seems to work but it is terribly annoying to be jerking along instead of a smooth ride.  My question is, is this normal, abnormal, something that goes away?  I have checked all connections, charged the battery. There are no error messages
Thanks for any feedback

Ryan

Check the pedal assist disc. Could be broken altogether or missing magnets. If you're constant pedaling you should not feel this pulsing. Let me know if you find anything.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Rjbur007

Ryan has great advice... it is not normal...

If new to RadCity, then a heads up as you have the same motor as my RadWagon.  It is a Direct Drive motor and thus with no pedal assist the magnets in the motor will cause the bike to act like your on an exercise bike and place a resistance or drag on the bike.  In simple terms, the wheel does not free spin with zero pedal assist.   Also, if you hit the factory set 20 MPH max, the motor cuts off and it acts like someone applied a little braking due again to the magnets...  That of course is what makes the regen work on our motors as well when we brake.

So if Ryan is right and the Pedal Assist magnets at messed up the pulsing is magnified when power goes away and resistance kicks in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk