Author Topic: Melding RP bikes with portable/solar charging systems?  (Read 3949 times)

Joel52334

• Using my RPW4 for my cardiac rehab.
    • View Profile
    • Oh the things I know & do! --(under construction)
Melding RP bikes with portable/solar charging systems?
« on: April 07, 2021, 01:10:45 PM »
This is an idea that's just come to me.  I've been looking at some portable solar panel & battery charger systems?  Has anyone thought of this?  What systems have you looked at?  I'm thinking of this in the case of longer mileage trips!

I look forward to your comments!

JLH
I'm an RW4 owner. I'm not using any of these ancient forums. (ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM). Instead look for @joelhuebner, joel.huebner, joel.huebner@gmail.com, joel52334.
That's where you will find me.
This forum uses UTC time. GMT-0.  I'm at GMT-5 CDT.

JESimmons

• View Profile
Re: Melding RP bikes with portable/solar charging systems?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 03:52:51 AM »
The only 48v solar charger I see is for golf carts and costs about $900.  I’d be interested in seeing if anyone has cheaper alternatives.

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 04:04:45 PM »
What if you use these panels and run the stock charger from an inverter? Then panels are kind of big though. 41"x21" folded. Would 300 watts be enough?

https://amzn.to/3sxKdtB

Jim
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:13:14 PM by Ryan »

vudude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 01:27:18 AM »
You need to wire 4 - 12v solar panels together to = 48v. Solar panel voltage changes a lot depending on Sun exposure, so you need to add a BMS (Battery Management System) to protect the battery from over voltage. Now you can charge your 48v battery from the sun. You can charge a 48v battery with a  12v panel + Inverter but there will be losses converting Direct current (DC) to Alternating current (AC) to  Direct current (DC).   

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum