News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Power Bikes battery storage over a winter

Started by Ryan, November 06, 2019, 08:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Ryan

Just a reminder for us folks in the colder regions who don't plan to ride their bike over the winter months - keep your battery at around 75% charged. More details here: https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002717094-Long-Term-Battery-Storage

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Tafoya

Thanks for the tip, Ryan. How about the optimal temperatures for storage?

Ryan

I haven't seen this specified but I think room temperature is probably best. They recommend charging when the ambient temperature is 50-77. And then make sure it's in a dry place. We leave ours on the main floor of our house instead of the basement and also away from anywhere where it might see direct sunlight.

FredoGauvino

Regarding battery storage,
now that winter has settled in, I made the mistake of fully charging the battery early december, in the hope to do one last ride... ::)

Is there another way to discharge the battery than riding the bike ? :-\

If I turn the bike ON, and leave the light on, it auto shuts down after a while...

I would rather avoid riding the bike outside, as it is -10 Celcius, not that much snow but a lot of filth and salt on the roads. :o

I had the silly idea to unmount the battery and slowly drain it using a 100W light bulb, but the battery connector have 5 pins, and there is no simple live +48V output available.
I guess that some wizardry is required on the 3 other pins to activate the battery.  :-[
Any info, drawing or pinout on this battery ?
( Don't worry, I will not risk shorting something if I don't clearly figure out a safe procedure. ;) )

Thanks in advanced for any clever ideas !
;D

PS, The battery of my DJI drone has a small resistor and it auto-discharge itself up to 60% when not used for a week.That would be a cool addition to the bike !!!

Ryan

My suggestion would be to use the USB port on the display to charge your phones/tablets etc. for a few weeks. That worked for us last year.

Hehateme

Go for a ride in the snow! One of best uses of a fat bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RODM@HORROCKS

Never leave lithium ion battery's in freezing temps i learned
the hard way with my cordless tools.

and by all means ride it in the snow fun.

milkandrelish

I will still be actively riding my bike over Winter, but temperatures in the shed where I keep the bike get to around freezing (~30-35 degrees) overnight. Is it ok to keep the battery on the bike in these temperatures, or will this degrade the life of the battery?

Si1Dia

Quote from: milkandrelish on November 03, 2022, 12:08:12 PM
I will still be actively riding my bike over Winter, but temperatures in the shed where I keep the bike get to around freezing (~30-35 degrees) overnight. Is it ok to keep the battery on the bike in these temperatures, or will this degrade the life of the battery?

Best to bring the battery indoors between rides and to charge it. Also, it might not be a bad idea to let it get to room temperature before charging.

Muskie1

I keep my bike indoors.  The dog doesn't like the moving process.
I charge my battery in a old metal milk crate sitting in front of me with a rope attached going out the door.
I know my fire extinguisher will not put a battery out. I can drag it out.