Author Topic: Rad Mini Pedals Size  (Read 5471 times)

Eric7

• View Profile
Re: Rad Mini Pedals Size
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2022, 03:41:50 PM »
I got a pedal wrench 9/16 and 15 mm from Amazon.  It is not expensive and it is just a big spanner so just buy the cheapest one.  If you switch pedals a lot, it is useful.  I have 4 bikes and one of my favorite pedal is $150.  I did not buy 4 of them.  So I switch often.

●●● I know others have said their pedals are 9/16.  But I just checked today and my Mini ST came with 15 mm pedals and all my other pedals are 15 mm.

●●● https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048564314-Recommended-Tools-for-Maintenance-and-Repair  Rad said they use 15 mm pedals.

Radio Runner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 11:01:22 PM »
I got a pedal wrench 9/16 and 15 mm from Amazon.  It is not expensive and it is just a big spanner so just buy the cheapest one.  If you switch pedals a lot, it is useful.  I have 4 bikes and one of my favorite pedal is $150.  I did not buy 4 of them.  So I switch often.

●●● I know others have said their pedals are 9/16.  But I just checked today and my Mini ST came with 15 mm pedals and all my other pedals are 15 mm.

●●● https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048564314-Recommended-Tools-for-Maintenance-and-Repair  Rad said they use 15 mm pedals.

9/16 is the thread pitch. The flats you are putting your new wrench on are 15mm. The threads that go into the crank arm come in two variations. 9/16 and 1/2 inch. Those have nothing to do with the actual tool that takes them on or off.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2022, 10:27:35 AM »
Thanks for clearing it up for me.  I did not understand but now I do.  Thanks.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2022, 08:34:23 PM »
OK.  I am through with the spiky off-road traction pedals and I am going back to the folding slippery pedals.  I like trying new routes, riding on grass, dirt roads and the spiked off-road pedals cut up my calves if there is any contact. 

I'll live with the slippery folding original equipment pedals.

Radio Runner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2022, 10:23:48 PM »
There are lots of less aggressive caged pedals out there. The bmx pin style can be a problem for some. Choice of shoe tread and sole compound also factor in when grip'n slip is the topic.

NaturallyRC

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2022, 06:29:42 AM »
Yup. Me too. I wasn't kidding when I said I have permanent indentations in my shin bones, from my studded mtb pedal days. I have reverted to placing my instep/arch on my Mini pedals instead of the ball of my foot -- a method I said goodbye to "forever" in the '70s. It took me 500km to get back into this old habit, but I'm sold. Less slippage and a far more natural leg extension, for me, at the bottom of the pedal stroke, given the Mini geometry.

OK.  I am through with the spiky off-road traction pedals and I am going back to the folding slippery pedals.  I like trying new routes, riding on grass, dirt roads and the spiked off-road pedals cut up my calves if there is any contact. 

I'll live with the slippery folding original equipment pedals.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2022, 04:11:26 PM »
Thank you for all your advice.  I will continue to use my folding pedals and also look at something less aggressive than the "spike" off road pedals.

The electric bike has increased my ability to ride on grass and dirt roads by overcoming the increased efforts - especially bad in a climb. The bike has freed me but any sort of falling or putting my foot on the ground and I get all bloody from the pedal. 

HJW808

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2023, 06:17:12 PM »
I've had good luck with these:  https://flatbike.com/product/wellgo-flat-pop-off-pedals/

They pop off quickly so your bike will fold super flat.  Only two disadvantages:
1. Once, these seemed to constantly get 'stuck'.  Problem solved with a good oiling, but it was a pain figuring out why I wasn't able to remove the.
2. Rarely, but still possible: you can accidentally kick the unlocking mechanism in such a way that the pedal will drop off.  A pain, but I just walked back 10 feet and popped it back on.

Solidly built and all metal construction - pretty cool looking as well.  Absent the two disadvantages above, these are recommended for use with RadMini ST.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2023, 06:17:12 PM »