News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Mini Pedals Size

Started by Jhartmggc, August 21, 2021, 08:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Jhartmggc

I just got a rad mini would like to change the pedals. On Amazon I noticed there are two sizes. Which size does the rad mini take?
9/16?
Thanks

Jhartmggc

I just looked it up, 9/16's should fit

RandyS

Cool.  Any chance you're going to use the tub method for transporting the bike?  If so, the foldable pedals are really nice and convenient when folding to fit in the tub.  Not sure if the ones you're looking at on Amazon have that folding feature...

Windward

Does anyone have the folded width size for the mini step-through with pedals removed?

SergeL

9/16 is quite universal, giving plenty of options. I found the pedals on my Mini a bit slippery and replaced them with some japanese folding pedals found on Amazon. They're an improvement, slippage-wise, and make it easier to scrape mud off soles.

To Rad's credit, I found the original pedals on the Rad a clear improvement over what my Cannondale at twice the price was outfitted with.

reggy

Will 14mm also fit 9/16?

9/16 is 14.3mm.

Looking to buy new pedals also.

Radio Runner

Reggy,

9/16 only. Any more or less won't match the thread pitch.

reggy

Quote from: Radio Runner on April 14, 2022, 09:31:30 AM
Reggy,

Thanks Radio Runner.

My current radmini-4 foldable pedals are starting to get wobbly. Is putting your standing weight on the pedal as you dismount the bike while its moving, too much for the pedals? I'm about 160 lbs.

Radio Runner

Reggy,

The stock pedals on the Mini are plastic bodied I believe. The plastic body can wear out internally and get sloppy after a lot of use. I replace plastic bodied pedals with medal bodied ones on most every bike I own.

If you choose to replace your pedals remember that the chain side in normal but the NON chain side has left handed threading. So you will need to go the opposite way than normal to loosen or tighten.

Pay very close attention to this when installing new pedals since the pedal axle is steel and the crank arms are aluminum. Put light grease on the threads and use finger pressure to start them threading, snug down with a wrench. 

Eric7

Quote from: reggy on April 14, 2022, 12:56:17 PM
Reggy,

Thanks Radio Runner.

My current radmini-4 foldable pedals are starting to get wobbly. Is putting your standing weight on the pedal as you dismount the bike while its moving, too much for the pedals? I'm about 160 lbs.

It should not be for a standard bike pedal, cheap or expensive.  I used to bicycle with clips and when pedaling hard, I put all my weight by standing on one pedal and pulling hard up the other pedal with clips therefore putting even more weight on the down pedal.  It was never a problem. Never had a pedal fail in decades of riding.  It seems to me that this should be a basic standard.  You should not be able to break a bicycle by pedaling hard.

Discussing another subject, the folding pedals do not have enough traction.  It feels like the pedals are spread too far apart on this frame and my feet want to spread outwards and off when I hit a bump - that is the feeling anyway.  Maybe it is an effect of riding faster on an ebike. I own a few pedals and I have been switching out.  I prefer the big off-road pedal for plain shoes.  For me efficiency is not a concern on an ebike - I don't use clips.

NaturallyRC

Curious as to why you want to ditch the stock pedals. Too small??

Quote from: Jhartmggc on August 21, 2021, 08:25:10 AM
I just got a rad mini would like to change the pedals. On Amazon I noticed there are two sizes. Which size does the rad mini take?
9/16?
Thanks

reggy

Quote from: Radio Runner on April 14, 2022, 04:48:48 PM
Pay very close attention to this when installing new pedals since the pedal axle is steel and the crank arms are aluminum. Put light grease on the threads and use finger pressure to start them threading, snug down with a wrench.
What sort of grease do you use? I have a can of the following, would that work?
https://corrosionfree.com/store/rust-cure-formula-3000-spray-can/

I own a few pedals and I have been switching out.  I prefer the big off-road pedal for plain shoes.  For me efficiency is not a concern on an ebike - I don't use clips.
Do you have dimensions for what a large pedal is. I like these on amazon, as I fold my bike often, and it would help it fit into the tote bin I use.
https://www.amazon.ca/Lixada-Mountain-Bicycle-Platform-Extender/dp/B07FDVDPXD/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2E4K2DOIU2IF2&keywords=quick+release+bicycle+pedals&qid=1650042775&sprefix=quick+release+bicycle+pedals%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-12

Eric7

Quote from: reggy on April 15, 2022, 10:21:54 AM
Quote from: Radio Runner on April 14, 2022, 04:48:48 PM
What sort of grease do you use? I have a can of the following, would that work?
https://corrosionfree.com/store/rust-cure-formula-3000-spray-can/

I own a few pedals and I have been switching out.  I prefer the big off-road pedal for plain shoes.  For me efficiency is not a concern on an ebike - I don't use clips.
Do you have dimensions for what a large pedal is. I like these on amazon, as I fold my bike often, and it would help it fit into the tote bin I use.
https://www.amazon.ca/Lixada-Mountain-Bicycle-Platform-Extender/dp/B07FDVDPXD/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2E4K2DOIU2IF2&keywords=quick+release+bicycle+pedals&qid=1650042775&sprefix=quick+release+bicycle+pedals%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-12

I like the large mountain bike no cleat pedals.  Only $15.

https://amzn.to/3vJZdZ5

Now that I've taken the picture, I realize the big pedal is not wider - maybe the better traction makes it feels wider.  Traction comes from something like 10 small machine blunt end screws sticking straight up from the pedal and they can damage your shoe bottoms. If you fall or bang your lower leg with the pedals, it can draw blood.  Sneakers soles will get slightly damaged.  Birkenstocks, Crocs and fancy shoes with air bladders won't last long.  My Shimano bike sandals are not damaged at all.

I never have to fold my bike since I bought it.  If I did, I would consider having a pedal wrench in the car.  No name pedal wrenches are cheap by mail order.

Radio Runner

Reggy,

Your link looks more like a rust proofing spray not a lubricating grease. Look at bicycle products like Phil Wood Tenacious grease, Any grease from Finish Line. Park grease is what a lot of shops use. Grease has the consistency of toothpaste so it doesn't come in aerosol. cans.

NaturallyRC

;D  I have Kona Jackshit pedals on my Kula and tiny permanent holes in my shin bones to prove it. Btw, skateboard shoes work on flat pedals with studs, but BMX shoes are even better.

https://mec.imgix.net/medias/sys_master/high-res/high-res/10112413827102/6017937-DCG00.jpg?w=600&h=600&auto=format&q=60&fit=fill&bg=FFF

Quote from: Eric7 on April 16, 2022, 04:01:57 PM
Traction comes from something like 10 small machine blunt end screws sticking straight up from the pedal and they can damage your shoe bottoms. If you fall or bang your lower leg with the pedals, it can draw blood.  Sneakers soles will get slightly damaged.  Birkenstocks, Crocs and fancy shoes with air bladders won't last long.  My Shimano bike sandals are not damaged at all.