News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Faster speed

Started by Albert George, August 20, 2021, 12:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Albert George

Is it possible to reprogram the settings in the LCD panel to get more speed?

I keep hearing about the hidden menu........does Rad give us info on how to do this in the owners manual?

And how would I go about doing it?

Just ordered 2  Mini St 2     and waiting for delivery.

And would like to bump up the speed to 28mph I hear people talk about.

Altema

There is always the possibility of a software change preventing adjustment. However, the standard procedure is to power the bike on, then press and hold the up and down buttons at the same time until the setup menu is displayed. From here you can access the speed limit and increase it to a maximum of 40kph, which is 24.8mph.
Here is a quick but decent video on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBzZtl9FHTM

Jusmoov

LCD upgrade will not give you more speed. it will only do 19mph.  I bought the upgrade lcd thinking I would allow me to go faster with the "Hidden Menu".  Its BS.

wtfg

The lcd upgrade I bought for my Rad mission 2 months ago increased my top end to 25
They may have changed things on newer LCD upgrades, but mine increased!!
By doing it the battery didn't last as long, so I upgrade to a 25 amp controller and a 52 volt battery
Now I can go 60 miles averaging 17mph.

Albert George

sorry for the confusion......i was asking about the hidden menu on the display in the original unit that comes with the bike

any info on the original display as far as the hidden menu change?

JimInPT

Quote from: Albert George on August 29, 2021, 07:11:52 AM
sorry for the confusion......i was asking about the hidden menu on the display in the original unit that comes with the bike

any info on the original display as far as the hidden menu change?

Here's a pretty good video to walk you through it, showing various options available in the hidden menu:  https://youtu.be/F82B6Dn0cAg
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Albert George

i have seen posts that Rad has done something to prevent the hidden menu usage

Does anyone have any info on that rumor?

RadJohn

Quote from: Albert George on August 30, 2021, 01:43:14 PM
...Does anyone have any info on that rumor?...
They aren't rumors. Different people have posted different things because that's the way the bikes have been coming through, it's a crapshoot. Minis used to be able to be set to 40 km/h via the hidden menu, then they couldn't, then they could, then they couldn't, and who knows which way the next batch will be.

You could call Rad and tell them you want to cancel your order unless they guarantee in writing that you will be able to override the 20 MPH top speed limit for Class 2 Ebikes mandated by US Law (and many other jurisdictions as well) on the whatever they ship you. Let us know how that goes.

JimInPT

FWIW my MiniST, ordered in mid-March and received in just 5 days, can be and was immediately reset to 40 km/hr - I can get about 24mph top speed on level ground under throttle only.  Could probably do better if I was 30 lbs lighter.  I've heard stories about being able to change it to 40 yet still get no actual speed increase; not sure I believe those.

So mine works and it's fairly new, although does not have any substituted parts like many of the very-new ones, other than the CST Big Boat tires, which were in the specs and photos at the time so if the programming was changed it probably happened after that.

I've never heard about a Rad bike being firmware-updated after shipment - does anybody know if they've ever sent files to upload through the USB port or something?  Maybe that's possible via a port on the controller board. 

With all the things I've owned that have been modded by firmware outside factory control, I'm a little surprised there's no mod scene for Rad bikes to customize them as desired, AFAIK.

RadJohn

Quote from: JimInPT on August 30, 2021, 03:27:01 PMI've heard stories about being able to change it to 40 yet still get no actual speed increase; not sure I believe those.
Looks like some of us being called liars, THANKS!
I've personally gone into the menus of 5 Minis and several Cities and Rovers. Since were talking Minis here, the speed override trick worked on two of them and didn't on the other three.

Quote from: JimInPT on August 30, 2021, 03:27:01 PM
I've never heard about a Rad bike being firmware-updated after shipment - does anybody know if they've ever sent files to upload through the USB port or something?  Maybe that's possible via a port on the controller board.
There's a capped "mystery port attached to the controller of at least some Rads (Minis included). There's been some speculation that it's a programming port, most likely used in manufacturing to configure universal off-the-shelf controllers as they're installed in particular bike or localized market models (at least that's what other manufacturers do to minimize model specific inventory). No reason it couldn't be used by a Rad authorized service centers or mechanics if the proper equipment were provided, but then again, it may only be some kind of test/readout port...  If Rad doesn't provide a way of updating firmware it's because they don't care/want to, not because it cant be done.

Quote from: JimInPT on August 30, 2021, 03:27:01 PM
With all the things I've owned that have been modded by firmware outside factory control, I'm a little surprised there's no mod scene for Rad bikes to customize them as desired, AFAIK.
Try looking up EggRiderV2, it's been mentioned here. Unfortunately it's not a flash & remove thing, it must remain in place to send customized instructions to the stock Rad controller.

JimInPT

Quote from: RadJohn on August 30, 2021, 04:25:43 PM
Quote from: JimInPT on August 30, 2021, 03:27:01 PMI've heard stories about being able to change it to 40 yet still get no actual speed increase; not sure I believe those.
Looks like some of us being called liars, THANKS!

I wasn't calling you a liar; I couldn't remember where I'd heard that story and found it hard to imagine that Rad would allow raising the "limit" on the display but still somehow block any actual speed increase - that's guaranteed to generate more tech-support calls needlessly.

And yes, somewhere there has to be a programming port to squirt in whatever firmware is needed prior to final assembly at the factory; it may or may not have a standard interface.