News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

16 mile one way commute

Started by talon1974, October 29, 2019, 11:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

talon1974

So 32 miles a day. I'd pedal some getting there for sure, but since I stand most of the day, I'd probably want to throttle back. It's relatively flat. I weigh 230lbs.  Would the RadRunner work well for me. I'm curious doing that kind of mileage 4 days a week, how it will hold up. Also, can you increase max speed (what is it realistically).

Thanks for thoughts!

I originally said rad rover. Edited it to reflect what I meant - Rad Runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan

It's possible, but you'd definitely be pedaling to help. To be safe I'd probably bring the charger to charge it up during the day. My wife goes 7 miles each way to work with some really steep hills no problem.

I watched a review today that talked about how the Rad Runner isn't as conducive to pedaling with the scooter style. Nothing wrong with that, but if comfort is a concern and you really want to get those legs going you may want to look at the other models. Battery is rated for 800 cycles so no worries there.  Not sure if you can override the max speed on the Runner without a different screen and maybe even controller. It is possible to override the other models with the Rad LCD to around 25 if I'm not mistaken. To be honest 20 is plenty fast and I think you risk some liability overriding it if you were to get in an accident. Rad sells bikes that meet current regulations.

Let me know if you have any other questions! We love our Rad and commuting on it is a blast - you won't regret starting your day on an ebike.

RadBiker

Yes you can! I commute to work and it is the best way to start and end your day. When you get home you are already decompressed from work and ready to start the evening. Love the fresh air!!!!  :)

What did you end of getting and how is the commute going?

Quote from: talon1974 on October 29, 2019, 11:22:27 AM
So 32 miles a day. I'd pedal some getting there for sure, but since I stand most of the day, I'd probably want to throttle back. It's relatively flat. I weigh 230lbs.  Would the RadRunner work well for me. I'm curious doing that kind of mileage 4 days a week, how it will hold up. Also, can you increase max speed (what is it realistically).

Thanks for thoughts!

I originally said rad rover. Edited it to reflect what I meant - Rad Runner.

Rjbur007

I have a 2018 RadWagon and my commute is about 24-26 miles one way depending on route.  That's a max of about 52 miles round trip.

On my last commute I put it in pedal assist 5, I have the max speed set to 25 so on down hills it doesn't cut out.  The idea is I want to get to work as fast as possible.  My typical rides are PAS 3.  I have a slight down hill grade overall on the way to work. Up and down but overall, heading down.

I weight about 210.   I carry an extra battery and I have an extra charger at work.

I get to work and placed the battery on the charger.  Later in the day it was not fully charged, but I still used it for the ride home which is typically a little more uphill than down.

About 1-2 miles from home, I had to change batteries as I was not getting enough power to move myself and the 70 pounds of bike.  I was also tired as I do pedal with PAS 5 and only use throttle from a stop if I forgot to shift down at lights. 

So... one battery would not be enough.  Two batteries is a must for me and my commute.  Also, having extra batteries opens up longer fun rides, especially when I use PAS 2-3 and only jump up to PAS 4-5 on steep uphills.