Author Topic: The New Rad Power Bikes Conestoga rain cover  (Read 6947 times)

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The New Rad Power Bikes Conestoga rain cover
« on: August 07, 2021, 12:24:49 PM »
Rad Power Bikes just released the Conestoga in the US which is a frame that attaches to the caboose to keep children out of the elements: https://bit.ly/3yrdMRj

While expensive ($299), I can see the value for folks who use their RadWagon to replace car trips. They also sell a separate canopy: https://bit.ly/2X0M2Fb

I'm hoping to get one to review. Curious what others think.

ericwn

• View Profile
Re: The New Rad Power Bikes Conestoga rain cover
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 06:30:47 AM »
Interesting, but overpriced just like the caboose. For the money they charge for a cheap plastic tent the caboose should be included.

Of course they’re trying to accomplish what the long John bikes can easily do with their boxes, but at least there your kids don’t get wet feet, I assume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wojtek-in-seattle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 03:37:01 PM »
I have a RW4. I considered the Conestoga for a split second, but it's overpriced. I live in Seattle and have no car. Some good inclement weather gear would be more flexible than anything mounted to the bike especially if one switches between carrying kids and cargo. I would be interested to know how easy / difficult it is to mount / dismount.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 08:11:31 PM »
I have one waiting to be installed and I'll let you know what I think. Just hard when our RadWagon is out of commission so I'm not quite as motivated to get it done.

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 05:24:34 AM »
How is it out of commission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BCJen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 08:59:32 PM »
I just installed one on my bike. It was $400 CAD, expensive IMO but I'm using my RW4 primarily for dropping off and picking up my kids 5 days a week so I think it'll make the ride a lot more pleasant for them. My kids wear boots on rainy days so no worries about wet feet ;)

The frame screws into the caboose ends and shares a bolt with the outermost bars. The connection point on the Conestoga is "U" shaped so you only have to unscrew the bolts about 1/2inch for placement/removal of the frame as opposed to unscrewing the bolts completely. It comes with longer bolts to replace the standard caboose ones.

I was really pleasantly surprised by the quality of construction of the cover itself. It's super nice and really well-made. I can post some pics of it if you guys are interested.

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 06:29:33 AM »
I just installed one on my bike. It was $400 CAD, expensive IMO but I'm using my RW4 primarily for dropping off and picking up my kids 5 days a week so I think it'll make the ride a lot more pleasant for them. My kids wear boots on rainy days so no worries about wet feet ;)

The frame screws into the caboose ends and shares a bolt with the outermost bars. The connection point on the Conestoga is "U" shaped so you only have to unscrew the bolts about 1/2inch for placement/removal of the frame as opposed to unscrewing the bolts completely. It comes with longer bolts to replace the standard caboose ones.

I was really pleasantly surprised by the quality of construction of the cover itself. It's super nice and really well-made. I can post some pics of it if you guys are interested.
Thanks much for your first impressions on it - how is it holding up? Do you have any issues with wind?
Our commute to daycare is about 15km each way and I’d be concerned about wind and wasting more battery power than I do already.

alanfarnes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 02:36:42 PM »

Thanks much for your first impressions on it - how is it holding up? Do you have any issues with wind?
Our commute to daycare is about 15km each way and I’d be concerned about wind and wasting more battery power than I do already.

I just got and installed my Conestoga today. It works really well except the zippers are absolute crap. They immediately snag on nothing and once they snag they're done for. Just absolutely useless if the zippers don't work and don't keep out the freezing air.

DK1983

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 06:14:15 AM »
My issue with the Conestoga is that there's no easy attachment/removal system. It's basically a permanent installation and it's a lot of metal framing to attach to your bike when you don't need it. I wish there was some modification that would make it attach and remove easily/as-needed.

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 06:22:46 AM »
How is everyone’s experience with wind and how much is the range / ride affected, if any?

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 06:28:55 AM »
How is it out of commission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
To answer my own question: the motor seemed broken on his wagon and Rad was unable to supply a spare part.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 07:31:15 AM »
I am working on getting a video out but we are loving the Conestoga. We initially had issues with tight zippers but we just had to adjust it slightly on the frame. I agree with the other comment related to being able to remove/re-attach the frame easily. This is one of those things that you'll probably put on and leave on at least for the colder season. Otherwise just leave the side windows up when it is warm or opting for the sun cover instead. In my opinion it's well made and it protects our son from the elements though so far he has wanted the "windows" up to get airflow when given the option  8)

It's one of those accessories that is expensive but if you're using this as a car replacement like we often are then it makes more sense.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 06:56:42 PM »
Here is our Conestoga review for those considering it for their RadWagon: https://youtu.be/224GNadKk94

ericwn

• View Profile
The New Rad Power Bikes Conestoga rain cover
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 05:18:39 AM »
Here is our Conestoga review for those considering it for their RadWagon: https://youtu.be/224GNadKk94
Thanks for posting. What effects did you have on range and how bad is this closed when riding with sidewinds? It seems like a huge sail-type of side impact when riding in the open. Any advice you can give on these points?

A weighted review in my opinion would also list both good and not so good points right away, not just that it’s expensive.

I happen to read the car replacement point every now and then and have to say: given the amount of time it takes Rad to ship parts or bikes to my location, it cannot replace a car, at least not one that you’re driving daily.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 07:15:46 PM by ericwn »

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 07:27:34 PM »
Thanks for posting. What effects did you have on range and how bad is this closed when riding with sidewinds? It seems like a huge sail-type of side impact when riding in the open. Any advice you can give on these points?

A weighted review in my opinion would also list both good and not so good points right away, not just that it’s expensive.

I happen to read the car replacement point every now and then and have to say: given the amount of time it takes Rad to ship parts or bikes to my location, it cannot replace a car, at least not one that you’re driving daily.

We've only ridden it in moderate sidewind and it is noticeable but not unsafe at least for us. More testing needed to see how it feels in harsh conditions (we wanted to get an initial video out asap). Hard to say how much it will impact range but I'm sure it does at least somewhat - that's something that would be a bit difficult to test.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 07:27:34 PM »