Author Topic: What gloves do yall use that slide  (Read 3385 times)

Lokote

• View Profile
What gloves do yall use that slide
« on: December 08, 2021, 08:42:13 PM »
I want to get some good gloves that have a plastic on the palms of your hamds so when you fall you slide on the pavement that way you don't break your wrist. I'm having such a hard time finding gloves like these on YouTube for some reason I can't find hardly any gloves that have the plastic on the palms and other areas like your knuckles so was wonder if any of yall have good recommendations

sc00ter

• View Profile
Re: What gloves do yall use that slide
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 02:07:35 PM »
All that's popping in my head is motorcycle gloves. See if there is a Cycle Gear store in your area to see what's available. Oh, and REI has a great section in store also. Try on before you buy as not all gloves are sized the same.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 09:53:53 PM »
I also think motorcycle gloves would be your best bet. I have some cycling gloves by Suomy with plastic protectors on the knuckles, but not the palms.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 07:29:21 AM »
I kind of understand where you're coming from about sliding but when a person comes off their bike the angle of the wrist to the hand is almost 90°, because you reach out with your hands to break your fall. This is where the injury / fracture would occur. No amount of plastic on the palm of a glove is going to prevent this kind of injury.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Mooree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 10:40:26 AM »
I recommend wearing gloves when cycling because wearing gloves brings a lot of benefits. Cycling gloves may be an underrated cycling piece of equipment, but it's just as essential as a bike helmet. Cycling gloves not only make you look like a professional cyclist but also improve your overall riding experience. Besides, they protect you from collisions and accidents. Gloves can enhance your grip and control on the bike handlebars, providing extra padding and protecting your hands in the event of a crash. Like helmets, gloves serve as protective gear for every rider.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 09:10:28 PM by Mooree »

NaturallyRC

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 01:09:02 PM »
Agree 100%, and I've been telling this to newbies since the stone age. And you needn't drop a bundle. These days, I actually prefer work gloves over fancy, overpriced bike logo mitts. Some work gloves protect your knuckles from branches and fences if that's a problem on your rides, https://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky-extreme-duty-large-mechanic-gloves/1001634817 but for pavement, I go with plain faux leather, or fingerless work gloves. I mean, good luck finding better bike gloves for 12 bucks CDN.

I recommend wearing gloves when cycling because wearing gloves brings a lot of benefits. Cycling gloves may be an underrated cycling piece of equipment, but it's just as essential as a bike helmet. Cycling gloves not only make you look like a professional cyclist but also improve your overall riding experience. Besides, they protect you from collisions and accidents. Gloves can enhance your grip and control on the bike handlebars, providing extra padding and protecting your hands in the event of a crash. Like helmets, gloves serve as protective gear for every rider.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 01:12:47 PM by NaturallyRC »

mtblair

• Rad Mini Step-Through 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 02:32:10 PM »
I work in an emergency room and can honestly say that if you go down with your bike and have your arm(s) stretched out to catch yourself (instinct), you will likely break one or both of the bones in your forearm. You'll also have some serious road rash on the palm. I agree with those that suggest leather or faux leather. I ride with motorcycle gloves that have a leather reinforced palm and protection for the knuckles.
Owner of a Rad Power Mini Step-Through 2

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 04:06:48 PM »
Agree 100%, and I've been telling this to newbies since the stone age. And you needn't drop a bundle. These days, I actually prefer work gloves over fancy, overpriced bike logo mitts. Some work gloves protect your knuckles from branches and fences if that's a problem on your rides, https://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky-extreme-duty-large-mechanic-gloves/1001634817 but for pavement, I go with plain faux leather, or fingerless work gloves. I mean, good luck finding better bike gloves for 12 bucks CDN.

As long as you can still comfortably operate the smaller buttons for the PAS settings of course

Radio Runner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 05:13:02 PM »
On a 300 mile tandem trip with the wife we had a verbal list of 20 reasons to ALWAYS wear gloves on a bike. I cant remember all 20 at the moment but I can tell you that swatting honey bees from local farms off your body was #21

NaturallyRC

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2022, 04:57:31 AM »
I admit, a little target practice is required before you can reliably hit those buttons with full gloves on. But this is one skill we Canadians must all develop (and we do). That, or park the ebike and stay inside eight months of the year.  ;D

As long as you can still comfortably operate the smaller buttons for the PAS settings of course

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 05:30:37 AM »
I admit, a little target practice is required before you can reliably hit those buttons with full gloves on. But this is one skill we Canadians must all develop (and we do). That, or park the ebike and stay inside eight months of the year.  ;D

Oh, as a Canadian resident I can agree. But where I live the roads are not safe enough anyway to commute with the kids. Anything below 10 Celsius gets you in trouble with the little ones plus the Radwagon is not a winter machine.

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 08:40:25 AM »
During the summer I ride with cheap mechanics gloves. It does make it nicer as they feel warmer when it's cool and somehow cooler when it's really hot. They also protected my hand when I did fall on my RW4 the other day.  :o

Gloves or mitts are a necessity during the winter here in Canada but it makes using the buttons impossible so I set the PAS before I set off. I finished the winter with the Rad Bike Mitts so next winter I will have to learn how to use the buttons even when I can't see them.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2022, 04:33:09 PM »
I have not seen gloves with plastic on the palms, unless you are looking at skateboarding gloves. Seems the plastic on the palms would make gripping the handlebars and throttle more difficult. I do have Suomy protective cycling gloves with reinforced pads and hard plastic protectors for knuckle impacts, but the palms are grippy. If you want to see them for reference, they are on the Himiway website at https://himiwaybike.com/products/waterproof-cycling-gloves

I have four sets of gloves, and use them according to weather, though I use the protective ones unless it is just too hot or cold for them.

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2022, 09:09:57 AM »
Altema, those are NICE gloves!!

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2022, 09:09:57 AM »