Author Topic: RadWagon with Kids  (Read 14104 times)

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
RadWagon with Kids
« on: October 05, 2019, 06:38:42 AM »
Yesterday someone asked me on Twitter (follow me here: https://twitter.com/radowners) recommendations for bringing children along on the RadWagon. Since my wife and I are expecting a child in the next month I thought I'd share my thoughts.

The obvious choice is the Thule Yepp Maxi Seat which works off the shelf with the RadWagon: https://amzn.to/358o76h

Thule advertises it will fit children from 9 months to 6 years old. Note that the Thule Yepp Maxi Seat will also fit other Rad bikes, but in some cases you need the rear rack. More details here: https://bit.ly/2XEYGrA

Since the Maxi Seat will actually fit in Rad's Caboose I'd probably purchase that at the same time as well since it can also be used once the kids are old enough to sit without the Maxi Seat. You'll also want to be sure to have rear deck pads and my recommendation would be to make some yourself. Having purchased the Rad Rear Deck Pad a year and a half ago we've found that over time it just doesn't provide enough cushion. The downside of course is this setup is quite expensive, $400 for the pair. Thus we've been keeping an eye out for the Thule Yepp Maxi Seat on the used market.

We've also considered using a child trailer which we've also used for hauling this around town. The benefit here is these can be found for very cheap used. Here is the thread which has some pictures of the one we used: https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,106.0.html

Note that some modifications may be needed to make the trailer attach and I've seen Rad comment that this isn't necessarily recommended though we personally haven't had issues.

The problem with the child trailer is they are really wide for riding in the city. While we try to avoid sidewalks there are some spots where they can't be avoided in our area which leads to the potential of clipping a curb. If you're driving to a trail this is less of an issue. We've also found that these trailers create quite a bit of drag and the other downside is your child is much further back.

I've also seen some seats which attach in front of the person pedaling though I haven't yet seen anyone attach one on a RadWagon. I'll have to do some more research on these options.

I'd be curious if anyone else has thoughts on transporting their kids on the RadWagon. Share them below!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:30:09 PM by Ryan »

RadBiker

• View Profile
Re: RadWagon with Kids
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 09:03:21 PM »
Curious how young riders take their children on the bike? I’m considering wearing my little one when I ride, but a bit worried I will be looked down upon. In my opinion cars are plenty dangerous too.

rheine3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 06:44:00 PM »
I used a trailer for years in the city and on vacation but I had more than one child. They can hold lots of cargo too and that's important if you are out all day. I also used a standard back rack child seat ( pre-ebike) for a few summers and felt safe with that.  Of course, I was on;y pleasure riding streets and sidewalks.  I was never comfortable seeing people with the side saddle seat mounted on the top tube.  At least the seat on back had a shell around it and the child wears a helmet.  I did have the trailer roll over once but  the seating area is tucked low between the wheels. Kids were fine.

I believe you instinctually become a highly defensive, cautious driver when you load the kids on board.  With that you will be fine with the choice you make.

Boopa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 05:20:34 PM »
I have ridden with my kids in a rear rack seat, top tube seat and then a Burly trailer. By far my favorite was the top tube seat. In my case, I lashed an 8” dowel to the bottom tube for foot pegs and mounted a small padded board on the top tube of my bike frame for the seat. With this arrangement, I had my son in between my arms and knees and needed to pedal slightly bowl legged. I don’t remember that bothering me at all. We took long rides on both streets and mountain biking (on smoother trails). We were able to have intimate conversations in all conditions with this set up. Note this did not have a seat belt and I never recall ever wishing that I had one. It would have been easy to fashion one on.

Before that, I used a rear rack child seat. I did not like it so much because we could not really talk while I pedaled. His voice was too little and I was panting too much. Three decades later I have a Radwagon with the Thule Yepp seat. I have the same complaints about that rear rack seat as well. On the positive side, it is MUCH safer and I love how easy it is to put on and off. With it, I take my grandson on most errands with me. I love it and think the high price is worth its weight in gold.

Finally, I my thoughts on the trailer are quite positive. Most trailers can carry one or two kids plus all the accessories and toys any of us could think of. With the bug and separate vinyl wind screen, I could adjust the climate needs and ride in summer, snowy winter and rains in between with a clear conscience. I had the luxury to avoid busy or narrow roads, so it worked well for us. Finally, after my kids outgrew the trailer I continued using it to commute to work when I had lots of gear to haul. I could also lash the same gear to my bike rack, but lashing it down effectively was the most difficult part of the ride. The trailer made it easy to again throw in anything I felt like having at work ( food, books, projects and safety gear).

There you have it.  Thanks for this forum.

LauraK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 02:33:04 PM »
Hi Ryan,

Did you end up doing any research on a front mount child seat? I'm interested if you have as I've got 3 kids and am hoping to fit them all on the Radwagon4. The youngest is not yet two (and personality type tends towards maniac) so I'd like to have him strapped in and was thinking of the Yepp Mini up front and the two bigger kids in the caboose on the back.

Cheers, Laura

molsonbike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 10:19:19 AM »
I feel like this thread should be its own section! (& include all rad bikes)

My family recently got the radwagon 4 to carry 2 young kids and the maxi seats have been wonderful. The seats are so secure because the rack is built to fit the maxi seat lock. You can feel how balanced the weight is during the ride.  There is no suspension for the seats, but I think the 3" tires have compensated.

We installed the caboose as well for extra protection in case of fall plus something for the kids to hang onto. It is wide as expected (tho not wider than handlebars) and even a bit lighter.

If anyone has ideas for adding textile covers to the caboose bars (mostly for cold conditions when the kids refuse mittens), please reply!

A year ago I was researching bakfiet style bikes for the safety, rain cover options, low center of gravity and conversation with kiddos factor. The quality is undisputed but the price with accessories went to $6k.

The wagon is just as safe and perhaps even reduces dirt, dust and pollution intake as kids are behind rider and up a bit higher.

Balance and handling has been great especially with throttle to start from standstill with so much weight and in traffic.

Conversation has been okay though not optimal - my eldest can be loud if he wants to be.

I live in a dense urban area with poor roads mixed access to bike lanes and so I never considered trailers. Can't mention the tires enough - better than any narrow 20" bakfiet front wheel could do in my riding conditions.

Haven't resolved the rain cover issue - right now am avoiding biking with kids in the rain or using rain clothing. Anyone have an elegant solution?

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 10:33:31 AM »

My family recently got the radwagon 4 to carry 2 young kids and the maxi seats have been wonderful. The seats are so secure because the rack is built to fit the maxi seat lock. You can feel how balanced the weight is during the ride.  There is no suspension for the seats, but I think the 3" tires have compensated.

We installed the caboose as well for extra protection in case of fall plus something for the kids to hang onto. It is wide as expected (tho not wider than handlebars) and even a bit lighter.

If anyone has ideas for adding textile covers to the caboose bars (mostly for cold conditions when the kids refuse mittens), please reply!

A year ago I was researching bakfiet style bikes for the safety, rain cover options, low center of gravity and conversation with kiddos factor. The quality is undisputed but the price with accessories went to $6k.

The wagon is just as safe and perhaps even reduces dirt, dust and pollution intake as kids are behind rider and up a bit higher.

Balance and handling has been great especially with throttle to start from standstill with so much weight and in traffic.

Conversation has been okay though not optimal - my eldest can be loud if he wants to be.

I live in a dense urban area with poor roads mixed access to bike lanes and so I never considered trailers. Can't mention the tires enough - better than any narrow 20" bakfiet front wheel could do in my riding conditions.

Haven't resolved the rain cover issue - right now am avoiding biking with kids in the rain or using rain clothing. Anyone have an elegant solution?

i'm wondering if "pool noodles" would make a viable cover - padded, insulated and kid-friendly colorful!

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 11:02:38 AM »

i'm wondering if "pool noodles" would make a viable cover - padded, insulated and kid-friendly colorful!

https://foamnoodles.com/collections/clamp-noodles/products/copy-of-clamp-on-foam-noodles-for-padding-or-bumpers-cargo-racks-made-in-usa-4-pack

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 11:05:42 AM »

https://foamnoodles.com/collections/clamp-noodles/products/copy-of-clamp-on-foam-noodles-for-padding-or-bumpers-cargo-racks-made-in-usa-4-pack

...or foam pipe insulation -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Pipe-Insulation-ORP11812/204760805

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 07:14:07 PM »
Hi Ryan,

Did you end up doing any research on a front mount child seat? I'm interested if you have as I've got 3 kids and am hoping to fit them all on the Radwagon4. The youngest is not yet two (and personality type tends towards maniac) so I'd like to have him strapped in and was thinking of the Yepp Mini up front and the two bigger kids in the caboose on the back.

Cheers, Laura

I haven't looked into front seats but if you end up trying some out let us know (and share pics!). I have seen front child seats on other Rad bikes, just not on the Wagon yet.

Julia Wouie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 08:25:34 PM »
Hi, I'm brand new here and just found this forum by googling a question I had about my Radwagon!

I'm looking for a way to carry my kid's bike on my Radwagon (currently a 16" bike). I've been able to stick it in the caboose but that doesn't work if I have one or both kids with me. I have bungeed it to the front rack before but am just looking for something a little more stable. Would love any ideas or suggestions!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:32:11 PM by Julia Wouie »

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 08:54:55 PM »
Hi, I'm brand new here and just found this forum by googling a question I had about my Radwagon!

I'm looking for a way to carry my kid's bike on my Radwagon (currently a 16" bike). I've been able to stick it in the caboose but that doesn't work if I have one or both kids with me. I have bungeed it to the front rack before but am just looking for something a little more stable. Would love any ideas or suggestions!
There is a children's bicycle tow bar called the Trail-Gator. It holds the front wheel off the ground, but it designed to clamp onto the seat post of the bike doing the towing. This won't work on the seat post for the RadWagon, but if there was a way to clamp it onto the back of the rack, it may be useful.

There is a better design called the FollowMe Tandem, but it won't work on any e-bike with a rear hub motor because the mounting system uses the axle nuts. Someone creative might be able to modify it, but it costs around $300 US.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 09:32:37 PM by Altema »

msantiago1256

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 06:04:31 AM »
I'm psyched to be getting my Radwagon 4 tomorrow! I live in a Central Massachusetts city so it's not a biking mecca but it should still be awesome. I plan on spending some time getting comfortable with the bike before bringing my son along but that was my main reason for getting this bike over something like the commuter or runner.

What i'm surprised by is how few mentions of other back seats i see mentioned online. I get that the Yepp is basically built to fit with the rad (or the other way around i suppose) but have there been any handy people around who've made things like the Bell Cocoon work with the wagon? I've got one i bought last fall that's still in the box and i can't see why clamping it to the post and maybe latching it down with some additional hardware to the rear mount wouldn't work.. any thoughts on this?

I supposed i'll see first hand this weekend when i get some time to experiment. If it's a no-go then i'll obviously get the Yepp but MAN those are trending pricey even used.

Mvdiego

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 11:59:11 PM »
Hi Ryan,

Cheers, Laura

I haven't looked into front seats but if you end up trying some out let us know (and share pics!). I have seen front child seats on other Rad bikes, just not on the Wagon yet.
Yesterday someone asked me on Twitter (follow me here: https://twitter.com/radowners) recommendations for bringing children along on the RadWagon. Since my wife and I are expecting a child in the next month I thought I'd share my thoughts.

The obvious choice is the Thule Yepp Maxi Seat which works off the shelf with the RadWagon: https://amzn.to/358o76h

Thule advertises it will fit children from 9 months to 6 years old. Note that the Thule Yepp Maxi Seat will also fit other Rad bikes, but in some cases you need the rear rack. More details here: https://bit.ly/2XEYGrA

Since the Maxi Seat will actually fit in Rad's Caboose I'd probably purchase that at the same time as well since it can also be used once the kids are old enough to sit without the Maxi Seat. You'll also want to be sure to have rear deck pads and my recommendation would be to make some yourself. Having purchased the Rad Rear Deck Pad a year and a half ago we've found that over time it just doesn't provide enough cushion. The downside of course is this setup is quite expensive, $400 for the pair. Thus we've been keeping an eye out for the Thule Yepp Maxi Seat on the used market.

We've also considered using a child trailer which we've also used for hauling this around town. The benefit here is these can be found for very cheap used. Here is the thread which has some pictures of the one we used: https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,106.0.html

Note that some modifications may be needed to make the trailer attach and I've seen Rad comment that this isn't necessarily recommended though we personally haven't had issues.

The problem with the child trailer is they are really wide for riding in the city. While we try to avoid sidewalks there are some spots where they can't be avoided in our area which leads to the potential of clipping a curb. If you're driving to a trail this is less of an issue. We've also found that these trailers create quite a bit of drag and the other downside is your child is much further back.

I've also seen some seats which attach in front of the person pedaling though I haven't yet seen anyone attach one on a RadWagon. I'll have to do some more research on these options.

I'd be curious if anyone else has thoughts on transporting their kids on the RadWagon. Share them below!

This is our wagon and I can't tell you enough how great it is. The kids love it and the seats are perfect. Although, my daughter sometimes complains that it's a bit bumpy in the back seat. Other than that we love it and feel super safe .

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 02:26:37 PM »
Hi Ryan,

Cheers, Laura

This is our wagon and I can't tell you enough how great it is. The kids love it and the seats are perfect. Although, my daughter sometimes complains that it's a bit bumpy in the back seat. Other than that we love it and feel super safe .
What kind of seat is the front seat?

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 02:26:37 PM »