News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RAD mini rack looks unfinished

Started by fillupd, March 23, 2020, 06:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

fillupd

I just assembled a mini and a mini step through both with rear racks. The too of the rack has four empty bolt holes and looks unfinished. If you don't want to spend over a hundred dollars for a topeak adapter, what can you do here. I see the topeak adapter will fill these holes but what about if you can't or don't want to use a topeak mounting system. That is just way to expensive anyway. rack for 79.99, adapter for 114.00 and a bag roughly 70.00, That adds up for a rear bag.

How about maybe a couple of slim pieces of wood that bolts on there? One on each side about 10-11 inches by 2 inches maybe.
Anyone finished off the rear rack for a mini? It just looks like something is missing...

Ryan

I'm curious what you bought the rear rack for. I agree that all of these accessories can get expensive but the rear rack is the most useful in my opinion. I'd maybe cut/stain some plywood and make a platform if you like that look better though I like the idea of storage space so I'd probably find a third party rear bag that sits nicely on there. I know some folks have found the Roswheel bags sufficient: https://amzn.to/2UyjJsS

fillupd

I have topeak bag and rack on my pedal bike. I also have pannier bags and a Velcro bag  that will work with the mini. What about when you do not want a bag?  You are stuck with unfinished look. A quick ride on the bike trail leaves a rack with bolt holes in it.
I thought about putting screws in the holes and maybe that is a way to go if I can find something that wouldn't stick up too far and cause wear holes in my bag when I strap it on. Or I guess the choice would be to spend the cash and get the topeak adapter.
I'll play with some ideas. Maybe something like the finished look on the wagon could work.

fillupd

How about when you strap on a cooler and meet some friends and one says" what are those 4 bolts holes for did you forget something?" Naw ... RAD left the drawing board a little early on this one.

fin_rad

In my RadRhino it is the same thing. Most what I'm worried about is that mud or dust is gonna go inside the holes and stuck there. Then at some later time when you want to add f.ex. the Rad basket you have to clean the holes first. And that will not be fun job to do... So I added just 4 screws there and probably will paint them black too.

But best thing here is that you can customize and fix it just the way you like yourself. ;)

pplupo

Quote from: fillupd on March 23, 2020, 07:58:13 PM
I have topeak bag and rack on my pedal bike. I also have pannier bags and a Velcro bag  that will work with the mini. What about when you do not want a bag?  You are stuck with unfinished look. A quick ride on the bike trail leaves a rack with bolt holes in it.
I thought about putting screws in the holes and maybe that is a way to go if I can find something that wouldn't stick up too far and cause wear holes in my bag when I strap it on. Or I guess the choice would be to spend the cash and get the topeak adapter.
I'll play with some ideas. Maybe something like the finished look on the wagon could work.

Which model is your topeak rack?

Cru Jones 33

I use my mri-Denver rack with this
Trunk bag love my set up!

Topeak MTX Trunk Bag DXP Bicycle... https://amzn.to/31CPQwK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stay RAD Stay SAFE

RadJohn

The threaded inserts on the Rad racks are put there by Rad to mount one of their proprietary small or large baskets (more like cages) or platform.

MRI-Denver then offered their 3rd party Rad spare battery Carrier and Topeak MTX bag mount adapter to fit the Rad rack threaded insert pattern.

It should be relatively easy  to fabricate a wooden deck like on the RadWagon, countersink, four mounting holes and attach it with M5 x 0.8 flat head screws.