Author Topic: Remove Radrunner Max Speed Limiter  (Read 15258 times)

wapple

• View Profile
Remove Radrunner Max Speed Limiter
« on: July 21, 2021, 01:02:51 PM »
Anyone tried blocking the radrunner's speed limiter lately?

Saw this video from last year around placing a piece of tape over the connection that regulates speed. Anyone done this? Would it work on radrunners made this year? There was a similar thread from last year about just cutting this wire too.

Would love to hear from you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BDSllZzRYA

SDrider

• View Profile
Re: Remove Radrunner Max Speed Limiter
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 09:28:15 PM »
If you have the Plus with the upgraded controller, you can easily upgrade the top speed to 25mph by pressing a few buttons. Not sure about the stock Runner though, the electric tape could be the only solution.

MurderNote

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 01:08:54 AM »
I just got my RR a few weeks ago. (Not the +) and did the tape trick. It worked. I also just ordered the Eggrider V2 from Luna Cycles. I haven’t gotten it yet so I can’t speak on it. But it’s supposed to be plug and play. I can’t wait to try it out.
I guess in the past there was an issue that caused some jerkiness when accelerating but it was apparently addressed in the latest firmware update. Also, the Eggrider is used to more improve torque rather than speed. Especially in steep hill situations. There’s some videos on YouTube if you want to check it out.

Jgonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 04:47:31 AM »
It worked on my Radmission, however the odometer and speed stopped reading. The accelerator did not go faster than approximately 25mph, as far as I could tell but I could pedal much faster with continued power assist.  I changed it back and simply reprogrammed the bike to 25mph which is plenty fast for where I ride.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 10:01:38 AM »
I tried the tape trick on my RadMini. The speedometer stopped working but the bike did not get faster, so I guess it depends on the model.

wapple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 08:13:27 AM »
I just got my RR a few weeks ago. (Not the +) and did the tape trick. It worked. I also just ordered the Eggrider V2 from Luna Cycles. I haven’t gotten it yet so I can’t speak on it. But it’s supposed to be plug and play. I can’t wait to try it out.
I guess in the past there was an issue that caused some jerkiness when accelerating but it was apparently addressed in the latest firmware update. Also, the Eggrider is used to more improve torque rather than speed. Especially in steep hill situations. There’s some videos on YouTube if you want to check it out.

let me know how you liked the eggrider. also would you keep the tape trick after installing or remove the tape?

Mooree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 07:10:41 PM »
The speed limiter can be part of an electric bike's safety features, but for adrenaline junkies who ride at top speed like me, it can be too restricting. Removing speed limiter on an electric bike can be easy by removing the bicycle limiting wire. It is usually found at the controller and normally comes as a single wire.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 08:21:00 PM by Mooree »

lucmorneau

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 04:33:43 PM »
If you have the Plus with the upgraded controller, you can easily upgrade the top speed to 25mph by pressing a few buttons. Not sure about the stock Runner though, the electric tape could be the only solution.

Can you be specific about wich buttons ?  The electric tape not working with the 2022 model.

HeyRyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 11:18:27 AM »

What is this button sequence?

JedidiahStolzfus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 11:20:56 AM »

What is this button sequence?

Power on the bike, press the UP and DOWN buttons at the same time.  That takes you into the programming mode.  Using the Mode button scrolls through the options.  Use the arrow buttons to change the values.  Up the speed to 40KPH. 

Hugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 09:19:23 PM »
I just installed a Bafang 1000W rear hub.  What a difference.  There are photos of the stock RAD motor armature next to a Bafang 750W armature that shows how much smaller the RAD armature is compared to a Bafang 750W armature. 

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 07:29:36 AM »
I just installed a Bafang 1000W rear hub.  What a difference.  There are photos of the stock RAD motor armature next to a Bafang 750W armature that shows how much smaller the RAD armature is compared to a Bafang 750W armature.

There are also photos showing that a lot of that "bigger" motor space is empty.  DickB and Altema here on the forum are experts in this area.  If you experience a performance improvement, it may be due to the lack of speed-limiting circuits built into the Rad motor, if I remember correctly.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

JTK77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 09:04:56 AM »

There are also photos showing that a lot of that "bigger" motor space is empty.  DickB and Altema here on the forum are experts in this area.  If you experience a performance improvement, it may be due to the lack of speed-limiting circuits built into the Rad motor, if I remember correctly.

No speed limiting circuit in Rad (Bafang) motors!
More copper (strands in multistrand winding) in 750w motor. Little more torque and efficiency as result.

Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 07:05:38 PM »
There are Youtube videos also that show how to up the speed capacity on RR 6 Plus and City 5 Plus. The videos walk you step by step of the instructions posted above by Jedi...

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 09:18:00 AM »
Surprise! Yeah, the Bolton motor is "bigger", but what you're looking at is a fat magnet structure that covers up empty space. You can't measure electrical specifications with your eyes. What makes a 750 watt motor a 750 watt motor, is it's ability to operate at 750 watts and stay within it's temperature parameters indefinitely, meaning it will never overheat at that power level. This is the nominal rating. Both the Rad and Bolton motors handle 1600 watts peak, though the only motor I've had overheat is a Bolton, not a Rad.

Below is one of Bolton's Bafang G060 motors on the left, and a Bafang G062 motor on the right. The smaller motor handles far more power.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 09:18:00 AM »