Author Topic: RadRover 6 Plus!  (Read 16341 times)

CG31

• View Profile
Re: RadRover 6 Plus!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 05:20:12 PM »
JimInPT,
Thanks for posting. Do you know if you can mount a light to the rack of the RR6? I mean being able to connect it like the previous models. If not they really screwed that up. I guess you could mount a little kiddy license plate with your name on it.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 08:12:53 AM »
JimInPT,
Thanks for posting. Do you know if you can mount a light to the rack of the RR6? I mean being able to connect it like the previous models. If not they really screwed that up. I guess you could mount a little kiddy license plate with your name on it.

Don't know; they haven't shipped any bikes or racks yet.  However, I got one of these and absolutely love it - long battery life in quick-flash mode and except for charging I never have to touch it since it's motion-sensitive.  Very bright even in daylight; hung it under the seat strapped to the spring assembly, it flashes along with my MiniST's flashing rear light.  It's much better than you'd expect for the price.

https://amzn.to/3yGN4nY
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 06:48:51 PM by Ryan »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

cafrank

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 12:20:58 PM »
I live in San Diego county, I recently tested the RadRover 6 Plus on the trail along the coast at Mission Beach. I own a RadRover 5. My impression is limited by the relatively level trail which did not allow me to test the hill climbing ability. However, I rarely, if ever, need more hill climbing power even living near the coast in an area where the coastal hill roads and trails are the norm. I felt that the motor gearing is not as well integrated as on the 5 model, it was noticable to me. The 5 motor gearing is as smooth and silk. I don't like the elimination of the USB port and I don't like the dual display at all. The small display is almost impossible to see in the bright sunlight (it seems to have a dark coating). I don't want to look at two different displays, and do not need any more information, but not being able to see it in the sunlight is a deal breaker for me. I do like the more precise battery indicator, however, I ride my bike 20-30 miles every day and the battery indicator always shows more than half power when I get home so there is really never a reason to care about the reading, the battery is never going to run out in the course of a day. I do pedal most of the time and use pedal assist 1 and 2 mostly and 3 for faster speed. Peddling and conservative pedal assist conserves battery power but still it is unlikely that you will ever use all the battery power in a day's ride unless perhaps you are on the throttle all the time. The hydraulic brakes are effective but so are the disc brakes and will stop the bike the same. The over all feel of the bike int terms of maneuverability and ride is the same. I didn't find anyting compelling about the new 6 Plus, when considering the additional $300 price, which is a testament to the RadRover 5. If both were the same price I would probably buy the 6, however, I don't think I would pay $300 more for the 6 if  the 5 was still available. Either way, Rad bikes are awesome, the service is what it should be and more and you can't go wrong with either modle. If you don't already have a Rad then the 6 Plus has to be bought, it will put a smile on your face the first time you get out onto a trail.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 09:07:02 PM by cafrank »

cafrank

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 06:48:55 PM »
Those of you that have a RadRover 5 know that in the settings for the display is a setting for speed that can be set to prevent the motor fromcutting out at 20 mph. Initially, when I first rode my bike the motot would cut out around close to 20 mph which was just a bit annoying. I adjusted the display setting and now the motor does not cut out at 23-24 mph which is the fastest I have ridden the bike since. It seems like a little thing but its not. Just that 3 or 4 mph is about all I ever need. Before, when the engine cut out at 20 mph or even a little shy of that, I didn't like the limit. So far, it sounds like the setting that allowed the speed change may have been eliminated in the new model. If anyone knows for sure, please post.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 06:49:52 PM by cafrank »

Rickyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 12:57:06 AM »
Hello again,  My wife and I still have a while to go before we receive our new Rad Rover 6 plus bikes by the end of Sept / beginning of October.
 { if they're on time...fingers crossed.} But we're heading from our home soon, in the south Cariboo area of B.C. Canada for a visit down to the coast to see our "kids" and grandkids. While we're there in the Vancouver area we're headed into the big city of Vancouver to hopefully take a look at what we bought and if all goes well take a test spin on the new Rover 6. Can't wait !!! I feel like a kid at Christmas time.  But I'm not sure this test ride is a good thing or not. Will it drive the anxiousness to have our own bikes "in hand" ??  I sure hope their expected delivery time is what they say it is. Somehow I'm halfway expecting to be told that "due to covid" { because covid screws everything up } theres going to be a delay in getting your new Rad Rover 6 plus to you.  I expect to be one of the first in line to receive the new bikes, as it was released and
 {pre-ordered} The Very Next Day after "sleeping on it" and seeing and reading up on the R.R.5.. I'm sure there will be hundreds of us "first in line" folks who ordered the first day. So ya I have my fingers crossed we hit the timing right.     

Mori55

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2021, 05:39:49 PM »
I ordered the 6 plus , but I’m really torn about maybe getting the Aventon Aventure. It seems to have a lot of features and no speed lock out and more powerful motor and bigger battery.
  Plus my local bike shop sells them which is a plus. But I also know Rad has great customer service. But I also live on the east coast and there is zero rad stores. Hard decision for me.

CG31

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2021, 06:33:00 AM »
If a LBS sells the Adventure for the same price as the RR6, this should be a no-brainer.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2021, 10:20:15 AM »
If a LBS sells the Adventure for the same price as the RR6, this should be a no-brainer.
I would have to agree. As good as Rad's service may be at time, you can't beat being supported in person by a local shop (as long as they are competent).
Aventon's are nice, even if not the best at hills. I was riding casually and got passed by one by a lady in a hurry, and I was quite surprised that I had to hit the brakes on a steep uphill because she was struggling so much. Still, they are excellent bikes and very much worth the price. They can be reconfigured for Class 3 which is 20mph throttle and 28mph on pedal assist.

RadJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2021, 11:41:01 AM »
...Aventon's are nice, even if not the best at hills..

Not surprising as 26" Avetons have an 8-Speed 12-32T Cassette while your Mini (or even a bone stock one) has a 7-Speed 11-34T Freewheel AND smaller diameter 20" wheels. The arguably "higher quality" components use by Aventon can't make up for the increased climbing ability offered by a 34 vs 32 tooth rear cog and smaller diameter wheels, simple physics.

While 99% of the distance I cover on my routine rides is relatively flat "MODE 1 or 2" type terrain, I often encounter al least one or two 1st gear, 750 Watt hills on most rides (western New York, ice age drumlin remnants and such). I was putting too much strain on my borderline knee(s) and getting off and pushing my first Rad, a Rover, too often so I got a RadMini 4 and was more than happy with the improvement, EASILY outclimbed the Rover. As presently equipped, Avetons would climb even worse than Rovers (again, the 32 vs 34-tooth rear cog thing).

If one lives in a flat place like Florida where they won't let you near the biggest hills around (the "gypsum mountains"), then extreme climbing ability really doesn't mean much and the Aventon should be Ok  but even so, its 12-tooth cog would result in a higher top end cadence RPM than with the 11 tooth one on a Rover,  and some people may not like that.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 10:34:11 PM by RadJohn »

jimk1963

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2021, 02:30:34 PM »
In San Diego, just picked up two RadRover 6 Plus Step-thru, charcoal. Ordering from the website - says they ship Sept 30. Call tech support - they also say Sept 30. I alerted sales staff that no one knows these bikes are in stock at the store, they just shrugged and said “corporate communications isn’t the best”. No one answers the phone at the SD location either, nor returns voicemail, so I just drove down there to see for myself. And there they were, two fully assembled RasRovers and I was told they had boxed versions as well, my choice.

So after getting it home, I can confirm that pressing Headlight + Down button, or HL + Up button, or Down + Up button, or Pwr + either Down or Up buttons, doesn’t open any hidden menu. Crap. So either Rad did lock down the power or there’s yet another hidden menu somewhere, just waiting for someone to figure it out and post it.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2021, 10:35:59 AM »
In San Diego, just picked up two RadRover 6 Plus Step-thru, charcoal.

So after getting it home, I can confirm that pressing Headlight + Down button, or HL + Up button, or Down + Up button, or Pwr + either Down or Up buttons, doesn’t open any hidden menu. Crap. So either Rad did lock down the power or there’s yet another hidden menu somewhere, just waiting for someone to figure it out and post it.

You may be the first normal, non-reviewer, owner in the wild and it would be a great public service if you'd (start a seperate thread, maybe?) post your impressions and even a review as you get some miles on it to educate us.  In particular, I'd like to know what it's like living with two displays instead of one.

Thanks!

jimk1963

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »
In San Diego, just picked up two RadRover 6 Plus Step-thru, charcoal.

You may be the first normal, non-reviewer, owner in the wild and it would be a great public service if you'd (start a seperate thread, maybe?) post your impressions and even a review as you get some miles on it to educate us.  In particular, I'd like to know what it's like living with two displays instead of one.

Thanks!

Hi Jim, I posted a Day One impressions thread, will update it as I do more riding. The two displays are just fine, my only complaint there is that the handlebar is too crowded, for example where am I going to mount a mirror… much less other items.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2021, 11:21:14 AM »

Hi Jim, I posted a Day One impressions thread, will update it as I do more riding. The two displays are just fine, my only complaint there is that the handlebar is too crowded, for example where am I going to mount a mirror… much less other items.

Cool, thanks.  I got that impression about the handlebar, too.  I was able to add a phone mount and extra bell to my Mini bar, but ended up with a bar extension when I added another (real) headlight and camera mount; you'd probably have to do the same.

dfyant

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2021, 08:52:27 PM »
I bought a RR 6 plus and have owned two rad rovers prior to this.  The 6 has a big problem that made me try and return it.  It really can't go more than 20mph.  You can't reprogram it, there is no advanced menu (I tried and even spoke to Rad Power about it).

So the RR6 is 20% slower than the RR5.  There's no denying it or getting around it.  it costs more and goes slower :(

The best Rad Power could tell me is that maybe in the future there will be someone who develops and after market display for it that could be programmable.  So basically, I went from 24.3mph to 20.0 and paid extra for that!

I wish I had know and bought a Juiced bike instead!!!!!!

Mori55

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2021, 03:20:20 AM »
Yes you can program it to 25 mph. It’s on this forum how to do it.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2021, 03:20:20 AM »