News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadRover 6 Plus!

Started by Ryan, July 20, 2021, 05:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JimInPT

As Mori said, Ryan (this forum's owner) may have been the first to figure out how to access the hidden settings to enable 40 kph (about 25 mph).  He did a post on the forum here of his YouTube vid showing how to do it.  It's easy.

I'm happy with my MiniST but glad to hear this capability wasn't completely dyked off the new models.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

JDBUTZ1 @AOL.COM

I bought  a rad rover 6 plus in July  and received it in September  and still doesn't  work  code 30 I don't  even have a mile on it they sent wire harness  and controler and still didn't  work now they want to send a display  but there are  two displays  on the 6 plus is there any way to get my money  back by the time I get it fixed  the warranty  will be up I won't  buy another  one I have a himiway  cruiser  for over a year with no problems

Kuberax

Hi all. New to this site, and new to e-bikes. I just bought the Radrover 6 Plus yesterday and took it for a quick 10 mile ride. First I'll say that I've been researching the Rad bikes for awhile after renting one. I was going to buy the Rover 5 a few months back, but then the 6 came out and I chose to go this route. I love the look of this bike.

One concern was that I bought the Radrunner Plus for my wife and it would have been nice to have interchangeable batteries, in case I wanted to go for a longer ride in the hills by myself and I could carry the spare in a pack, but honestly, I don't know if I'll ever go for a ride that long, so the concern was minimal.

We both like the screen on the Rover 6 better than the older one. It just looks bigger and brighter. We also love the battery indicator on the actual battery. Something of note, the old batteries could be locked to not be active. The new batteries do not have that feature.

Also, I've seen people talking about speed limitations here, but I'll say that when I did a test ride at the dealership, I easily got the speedometer up to 24, but it was a combo of throttle and pedaling. I haven't tried since getting mine home, so I don't know if something was unlocked on the test ride model, but I can't imagine they would do that with bikes they are putting rookies on.

I'll post more thoughts as I spend more time with it. I'm really looking forward to more trail riding.

Mori55

There's a video on here on how to unlock it. When you into settings to do it you'll be able to tell. I can do 25 without pedaling if I want. And I'm a big guy.

Soweco

Sheesh. I've only had mine for three days and not sure I want to go much faster than 20, except for the occasional smooth downhill run.

Altema

Quote from: Mori55 on September 28, 2021, 03:20:20 AM
Yes you can program it to 25 mph. It's on this forum how to do it.
Yes, Ryan shows us how to do it in his review.

Gecko

Quote from: Altema on November 21, 2021, 11:59:51 AM

It has apparently been disabled; mine (shipped mid-Nov) flashes "1d" on the screen when you try to change the limit.  Too bad as I run up against the cut-off regularly while riding.

Ryan

Quote from: Gecko on December 01, 2021, 07:52:35 AM
Quote from: Altema on November 21, 2021, 11:59:51 AM

It has apparently been disabled; mine (shipped mid-Nov) flashes "1d" on the screen when you try to change the limit.  Too bad as I run up against the cut-off regularly while riding.

Here are the instructions (be sure to follow them carefully): https://ebikeescape.com/rad-plus-models-top-speed-unlock/

Eric7

$2000 is a bit much for a bike for me especially with changing technology. At that price range, your options open up. I am glad I got my Rad Mini Step Thru at a low price and with a deal.  At the price back then, the bike was the only option and I was just getting in so I did not want to spend a lot of money on something I might not take to.  I am very happy with my purchase and the money I got to keep in the bank.

I don't see ebikes as long term investments.  It is a rapidly changing field and things are getting better all the time so I am just going to get a bike good enough for my needs.  I'll spend the extra money on another battery if I have to.  Then I'll wait 5 years and buy the next technological leap.  Even with no leap, the technology will mature with better and more reliable parts.

It is a 750 watt bike with a 5:1 geared hub and a 14aHr battery at a nominal 48 volts with a controller that is limited to a certain amperage.  There is no magic.  Maybe the power comes on sooner - less of a lag.  I just don't see how something can suddenly have say, 20% more torque.  Maybe the motor is more efficient, but 20% more efficient? With the power limited to a battery, even if you get more performance, it will come at the expense of some range.

I can see how a hydraulic brake may be worth it for some but not for me.  Adjusting the brakes every month is not a big chore for me but maybe it is for someone who uses the bike as a commuter.  I am not riding in such an extreme style that I need every oz of braking performance. I rather spend the money on a professional bike repair stand (which I have) so I can do monthly bike inspections in comfort. Or I can buy another battery. 

I don't want to invest too much on a bike I know I'll stop using in 5 years.