News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

5 Plus vs 6 Plus

Started by jcvdd, January 13, 2022, 04:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jcvdd

Greetings — question regarding differences between the 5 plus vs 6 plus.  I'm an old time road cyclist recovering from knee surgery and in the process of purchasing either a 5 plus or a 6 plus to help with rehab until I can start back on my road bike. Other than tire size, what are the main differences between the 5 plus and 6 plus?  Which one would you suggest that I get as I have ridden road bikes all my life.  Thanks. Joe Florida.

Jay West

If you are an old road cyclist I would buy the RadCity 5 Plus Step-Thru.  It is a lot easier to mount and dismount and it is a great road bike.  For the road to me it is a better choice than the the Rad Rover plus 6.  I'm and 85 year old rider and I own two Rad City bikes.  One 2018 with over 10,000 miles and a new one with 1100 miles.

Jay

Eric7

I love Rad.  I love my bike.  I believe it is the best bike for me.  I was a road rider for many years but I am planning to slow down and relax just a bit.  I have a Rad Mini Step Thru which is supposed to be one of the smaller bikes.  The handlebars are 44.5 inches off the ground at the lowest position. My road bike's drop bar, at the drop, is 28 inches off the ground.  I thought I share. <<I might have been unclear. What I mean to say, with a handlebar this high, it is going to be hard to replicate a regular road bike experience, exercise the same muscle groups, with a handlebar 44.5 inches off the ground.  And I have the smallest Rad model so your other choices will have about the same handlebar height.  If you really want to get back on a road bike again, this may not be your best choice. On the other hand, if you are ready for something new and exciting, the models you choose will be fine.>>

Radding Along

Differences:

Hydraulic brakes on the 6, mechanical on the 5.
New semi integrated battery on the Rover 6 and City 5.
Improved torque response from the motor.
Improved two screen display.
Taillight mounted to rear fender instead of near the seat post.
Improved comfort seat
Step through feature is a few inches lower

Eric7

If you are talking about Rad City 5 Plus.  That is advertised as having hydraulic brakes.

I think the OP is talking about Rad City 5 Plus vs. Rad Rover 6 Plus

Radding Along

Ooops, you are correct. I missed that point. I am so used to people comparing the same model, different years.

Both bikes use the same hydraulic brake system as well as the newest style battery. And of course the semi recessed frame to accept the battery.

I thought I read the new motors have increased torque which you can feel on startup. So I believe both bikes benefit from that.

The obvious difference are the tires. The City is more of a paved or well groomed trail kind of bike. Whereas the Rover has the fat tires which are a little more forgiving when the trail gets tougher. The Rover is not a mountain bike per say. It would struggle a little on very rough trails. But it does quite well on uneven terrain that would make the City struggle a little bit.

jcvdd

I thank everyone for their replies. The main point I was trying to verify before purchase is that I believe that
the 5plus & 6plus are virtually identical bikes, unless I am missing something.
Also, I read on YouTube that RAD was changing - out components based on availability.
If I order the 5plus today, will it ship with shimanos or some unknown cheaper version component ?
Thanks again

Radding Along

I'm not sure the Rover and City could be any more different. The Rover is a fat tire bike, measuring 4" across on the tire.

The City has thin tires (think an old 10 speed), measuring 2" across.

It sounds like you need to look into a test ride on the two bikes. Check out Rad's site to see if they offer test rides in your area.

I wouldn't worry about the components. If they do have to swap out a part, it's always something of equal quality.

Eric7

My Rad Mini Step Thru is supposed to have a Shimano derailleur.  I got a Mezzo microSHIFT derailleur.  I have not been in the market for a long time so I don't know if it is better or worse but it is not what was advertised although it was advertised that components are subject to change.

Is this your first ebike?  With some experience, my opinion is that name-brand ultralight components does not really matter as much because you have a big motor helping you out.  Say, for example, the chain is not properly lubed, the brakes rub a bit, the pedals don't spin freely, the frame is heavy, the tires have a lot of rolling resistance, the fenders increases wind resistance, the frame is heavy, the saddle weights a ton, the upright position decreases efficiency.  All of this can be compensated by a little electric power.  You can maybe 40 miles on assist level 2 and the battery will totally compensate for all of this.  With 750 watts of power, you can relax your criteria a bit and you don't have to take everything off like in the old road bike days.  You don't need quick and precise shifting because a twist of the throttle will get you out of most normal situations.  You can use slime in your tires or whatever else because the battery will compensate for the loss of efficiency.  You miss a shift and you are falling behind?  One twist and you will catch up.  All the electric power actually put less strain on the drivetrain so quality components, while always nice, is not needed as much.

As for exercise.  I save it for 95% of the time when I am just going down the road.  The other 5%, starting stopping, transititioning from a climb to a dive, slowing down for a quick turn and speeding up, a quick speedup to go up a ramp or to jump off the curb and other tricky situations, I let the motor compensate for my less than precise shifting of the cheap derailleur.

jcvdd

Quote from: Radding Along on January 14, 2022, 02:02:49 PM
I'm not sure the Rover and City could be any more different. The Rover is a fat tire bike, measuring 4" across on the tire.

It sounds like you need to look into a test ride on the two bikes. Check out Rad's site to see if they offer test rides in your area.

I wouldn't worry about the components. If they do have to swap out a part, it's always something of equal quality.
Thank You for your reply- For clarity, I'm comparing the RadRover 6 to the RadCity 5 Plus Electric Commuter Bike. The hub, brakes, suspension, fenders, frame material, battery pack, lights are basically the same. Not sure what you meant as any more different. Please explain as I'm trying to compare as to which one to purchase. Other than tire size and some minor cosmetic differences, the bikes appear very similar.

Eric7

Quote from: jcvdd on January 14, 2022, 03:20:11 PM
Quote from: Radding Along on January 14, 2022, 02:02:49 PM

Thank You for your reply- For clarity, I'm comparing the RadRover 6 to the RadCity 5 Plus Electric Commuter Bike. The hub, brakes, suspension, fenders, frame material, battery pack, lights are basically the same. Not sure what you meant as any more different. Please explain as I'm trying to compare as to which one to purchase. Other than tire size and some minor cosmetic differences, the bikes appear very similar.

I am not the poster.  But mountain bikes (electric or not) has low pressure tires and makes a lot of noise with knobby tires.  City bikes with high pressure tires are more efficient and quiet and better behaved on the road and would probably give you more range because of much lower rolling resistance.  Steering is more precise for city bikes as long as traction is not an issue.  But mountain bikes are better on slippery roads and off road.  I can hear a non electric mountain bike coming halfway down the block.

Radding Along

I totally understand while looking at the pictures they look similar. But when you see them in real life and more so when you ride them back to back, they are vastly different.

They have different motors, different frames, and different tire sizes. The handlebars on the Rover are more straight like a mountain bike, whereas the City has bars that sweep back on the ends.

The fork on the Rover has more of an arc outward, vs the City is more straight. That creates a totally different handling characteristic.

As explained by Eric7, the Rover only has 30lbs of tire pressure. The tires soak up the bumps as much as the suspension does. The City runs 50lbs of tire pressure. When riding the City, it has a quicker steering feel, but is a rougher ride if you want to ride a dirt path.

I can't really explain what it's like to ride them, but the feeling is vastly different between the two. They are both awesome bikes, it just depends on what suits you.