Author Topic: Fender failure  (Read 5536 times)

Missionman

• View Profile
Fender failure
« on: July 17, 2021, 05:52:03 AM »
I have opened a mission for 6 months ordered fenders and installed per instructions. Fender caused tire to lock and I crashed, notified  RAD and received new fender and they paid to have it installed and checked the bike. Three days ago same thing happened causing crash, if you have this bike with fenders beware.

Jeff_RI

• View Profile
Re: Fender failure
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 08:43:07 PM »
That's very concerning. I have a Radmission and was thinking of getting the RAD fenders. Do you know what failed? What exactly happened?

Missionman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 06:58:43 AM »
I believe that the fender is two flexible allowing it to contact the tire when you hit a large enough bump. The first time it was a low curb, pic shows the second cause. Off course I try to avoid bumps in the road but can’t always miss them. The fender has a rubber like flare on the end of it, my first failure that was folded up on the tire under the fender. The second time it wasn’t but the results where the same. I would advise against fender on the rear, hitting the asphalt isn’t worth it.

Widgets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 09:37:33 PM »
Could it be that the strut from the fender to the hub is not tight enough. It looks like the bump is causing it to rotate. If it was tighter it might offer more resistance to the rotation and stay in place.

But, after multiple incidents, your willingness to suffer another incident may be waning. How often do you ride in wet conditions that would give you the mud racing stripe?

Missionman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 06:46:22 PM »
Think a fender on a bike shouldn’t cause accidents weather it needed or not.

Lantzco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 06:48:43 PM »
They should make half fenders front and back for these bikes, they would serve the same purpose, look a lot better and this sort of thing wouldn't happen...

Missionman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 06:11:49 AM »
New bike different company there fenders went from plastics to aluminum last year, could be that the plastic ones are dangerous.

trepaning

• View Profile
    • Corpse City
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 04:09:36 PM »
I have a RadMission now and it has the fenders, but have a similar story with my "acoustic" bike from 3 years ago. Riding to work in the morning, woke up 3 hours later in the hospital. A branch went in the spokes and crushed the fender into the front tire. I was standing as I was going downhill, so flipped straight onto my head, according to the damage on my helmet and head. Fenders on my acoustic bike now break away at the nut if something crushes it, so the fender won't stop the tire. Thanks for this Rad fender info.

STARFLYER

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 05:44:14 PM »
Could it be that the strut from the fender to the hub is not tight enough. It looks like the bump is causing it to rotate. If it was tighter it might offer more resistance to the rotation and stay in place.

I'm guessing the above thought was the reason for this mishap. I have about 700 miles now on my Mission without this happening.  I ordered the fender package ONLY because I liked the look of it.  Don't do any riding in the rain. 

Did you assemble your Mission or have the bike assembled and delivered?  I read the do-it-yourself booklet and it talks about the different torque setting for all the bolts.  Tomorrow I'm going to check the bolts that hold my fenders on.  I had the rear rack put on by a local bike shop and don't know if they had to take the fender off to install the rack. 

STARFLYER

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 05:49:48 PM »
What kind of seat is that?  Wondering if the springs make the ride smoother?  My standard seat doesn't is a bit on the rough side over bumps.

Missionman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 06:58:09 PM »
This happened two times, Rad paid to have the second fender install by a pro. Maybe I’m the only one this will ever happen too, for everyone’s  sake I hope so. I hope you always wear a helmet and I now always wear gloves as my left hand is still healing.
The seat is one that I purchased with the bike and it does take some of the jarring out, but maybe that is the key to the whole thing, seat, weight and fender = crash.

Chrisapple

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 08:37:55 AM »
This is pretty concerning and definitely has me rethinking installing the fenders on our incoming radmissions.

synthesizerman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 03:17:12 PM »
How many mission people has this happened to? right now, it seems like it has happened to one person twice.

Fenders on my acoustic bike now break away at the nut if something crushes it, so the fender won't stop the tire.

those break away nuts... is that a feature of the replacement fender, or something you worked out? seems like a nice failsafe.

STARFLYER

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 02:48:10 PM »
My Mission came with factory fenders.   However I later had a rear wheel rack installed at my local bike shop. Every thing was fine and rode several miles with my rear rack. After seeing the thread, I decided to check the bolts holding the rear fender and found 2 what I would call loose bolts that attach the fender to the frame.  One was what I would consider real loose.  I tighten on the fender bolts and haven't had problems like the one in this thread.

While  I'm not sure, I think the bike shop removed my rear fender while attaching the rear rack.

synthesizerman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 09:49:23 AM »
How many mission people has this happened to? right now, it seems like it has happened to one person twice.

So, not on a rad bike, but I was talking to my neighbor yesterday and he had a similar thing happen with his fender. For him, it seems like his tire picked up leaf debris and clogged the area between fender and tire, which caused the fender to do that accordion failure (picture above). His front wheel locked up and he went over his handle bars.

He basically told me that he'll never use plastic fenders again, and all fenders should have a break away.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 09:49:23 AM »