Author Topic: JUIN TECH M1 BRAKES  (Read 20056 times)

Altema

• View Profile
Re: JUIN TECH M1 BRAKES
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 05:35:19 AM »
I have to agree with JTK77. If you are spending that much money, you may as well go full hydraulic and get braking performance that's significantly better. I've had the hybrid setup, and they had a little bit better fell than the stock brakes with the original pads. At first. Then they degraded after a few weeks and continued to get worse. When a woman stepped in front of me and I could not lock the wheels at all, I got rid of them and went back to the Tectro mechanical braked and upgraded the pads.

SergeL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 12:20:12 PM »
I have to agree with JTK77. If you are spending that much money, you may as well go full hydraulic and get braking performance that's significantly better. I've had the hybrid setup, and they had a little bit better fell than the stock brakes with the original pads. At first. Then they degraded after a few weeks and continued to get worse. When a woman stepped in front of me and I could not lock the wheels at all, I got rid of them and went back to the Tectro mechanical braked and upgraded the pads.

The pad upgrade route is something I am also considering. May I ask what you upgraded to?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:58:56 PM by SergeL »

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 04:06:55 PM »

The pad upgrade route is something I am considering too. May I ask what you ugraded to?

Thanks
They are Tectro E10.11 pads, available on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/3vLpCVO
Now that I look at the package, they are organic, but I do see bit of copper in the material. So, not sure if they really are an upgrade, but they work so much better than the hydraulics that I thought they were semi-metallic.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:48:06 AM by Ryan »

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2021, 09:42:31 AM »
Now that I look at the package, they are organic, but I do see bit of copper in the material. So, not sure if they really are an upgrade, but they work so much better than the hydraulics that I thought they were semi-metallic.

They are available in a 2-pack (two pairs for two wheels) at a better price here: https://amzn.to/3CiI7DE but according to the recent price history from the Camels, they should drop below $20 again soon, so I'm holding off placing an order until they do, since I don't have a pressing current need.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:48:44 AM by Ryan »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

TheRealDlo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 08:06:26 AM »
Has anyone tried the JUIN Tech M1 brake modification ?

I ordered these for my Rad mini.  Even if they are the same power I just want the squeaky break noise to go away.  Also, the standard breaks feel rough.

Will report back ion a few weeks once installed and tested.  Going to measure stopping distance.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2021, 10:53:59 AM »

After thinking about it, wouldn't a hybrid design like this be a better option for folding bikes?  Especially for designs like the MiniST, where the brake lines are routed internally right through the folding joint, I don't think I'd subject fluid-filled lines to that, unless I made a decision it wouldn't be folded thereafter.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

SergeL

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2021, 06:42:26 PM »

They are available in a 2-pack (two pairs for two wheels) at a better price here: https://amzn.to/3CiI7DE but according to the recent price history from the Camels, they should drop below $20 again soon, so I'm holding off placing an order until they do, since I don't have a pressing current need.

Interesting about the E10.11 as an upgrade, since they are what RadPower sell on their website - and might be the original pads on their bikes?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:49:29 AM by Ryan »

SergeL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 04:09:45 PM »
Update, re original pads on my RadMini ST2. I gathered the courage to have a look at the original pads that were on the Tektro Aries (MD-M300) calipers and found out (after the red colour hinted at it) that the originals on my bike are Tektro P20.11s .

Where it gets interesting is the version of their pad compatibility chart I had lists them as "Metal ceramic compound high performance" pads. However, a 2021 version of the chart simply describes them as "Over all balance performance resin pad" (ref.: https://tektro.com/upload/Product/F_20210705110681iXimE7.PDF ). 

Now I promise I will stop editing this post. Unless I find yet more new information.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 09:48:25 PM by SergeL »

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2022, 08:14:42 AM »
On my Mini 4. I fitted XOD hydraulic brakes after doing the motor and controller upgrade.  I now need new brake pads . I notice I?m a bit late with this as my front Disc/rotor is scored.  I can replace this no problem but while I?m at it, is it advisable/possible to fit a larger disc/rotor.     Tony

SergeL

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2022, 01:23:42 PM »
On my Mini 4. I fitted XOD hydraulic brakes after doing the motor and controller upgrade.  I now need new brake pads . I notice I?m a bit late with this as my front Disc/rotor is scored.  I can replace this no problem but while I?m at it, is it advisable/possible to fit a larger disc/rotor.     Tony

I am still investigating various hydraulic options for my RadMini ST2, XOD being one of them (Tektro the other one). Out of curiosity, what length for the rear brake hose did you require?

Regarding the rotor upsize, you may have to deal with figuring what adapter or shims you would need to match the larger rotor diameter (and whether the fork can withstand the extra forces applied, which might be iffy with a Rad; caveat: based on what I have read so far.). I would probably stick to the same size rotor, maybe a notch up quality-wise, maybe a floating one.

YMMV

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2022, 03:43:35 PM »
Hi Sergei, thanks for the reply. The XOD brakes came from Big Game Bikes. I?m pretty sure in our discussions Gareth advised I would need the long rear hose. It fits fine.
I understand the need to pack out/adapt the brakes to a bigger disk, just not sure if anyone here had done this. As you say maybe a floating disk would be a slight upgrade. Tony

djsplice

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 03:47:00 PM »
I just dropped these in my Rad Wagon 4, installation was a breeze! Need to use the spacers that come on the existing Rad Wagon brakes and use the included shorter bolts for the front caliper - 45 minutes done and done.

The feedback that others have provided seem to be spot on - here's my hot take.

My daily trip to drop off kids at school is about 3.5 miles each way with an elevation drop of 1000' on the way to school - I'm on those brakes pretty hard for at least 1/3rd of the trip to school with almost 300lbs on the bike.

When I was able to get the stock brakes adjusted perfectly, I'd say they probably perform equally as well as the Juin Tech M1s.

There were a few downsides with stock.

I had to adjust the stock brakes on the weekly to keep up that level of performance, such a pain. Not to mention the rear wheel protective shield that comes stock on the bike prevents you from easily accessing the rear brakes fixed pad adjustment bolt... So either take off the protective shield and risk kid clothes entanglement in chains/wheels or spend an hour removing and reattaching the plastic shield (seems like it wasn't intended to be removed so frequently if at all) so you can make the adjustment - in my case weekly...  :o

I also found that the stock brakes were super noisy - especially at the end of a hot downhill ride! Quite possible this could be due to less than perfect adjustment...

For me, even if the performance is identical between stock and the Juin Tech, not having to mess around with weekly brake adjustments is completely worth the spend.

As for full hydraulic vs hybrid (cable pull) hydraulic system, I can't really say. My guess is that a full hydraulic system is more like a next-level upgrade providing a better brake feel compared to hybrid. Seems like 4 piston hydraulic brakes would provide more stopping capability - perhaps they are more common in full hydraulic systems - the ones I saw were twice the price at around $350...

I've only got about 20 miles on the Juin Tech M1s so if the performance changes I'll be sure to pop back in here and give an update.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 03:47:00 PM »