Author Topic: Bolton upgrade kit WATERPROOF BOX project!  (Read 3176 times)

Premo

• View Profile
Bolton upgrade kit WATERPROOF BOX project!
« on: June 17, 2022, 03:33:08 PM »
Hey everyone! This is my first post, and I wanted to show you all an awesome upgrade/hack I?ve accomplished!

I ordered the bolton 35 amp upgrade kit for my radrunner 2 and side note: it?s incredible. It?s slightly faster and takes my big butt up hills no problem. The torque improvement is a game changer and it literally feels like a new bike.

But with these awesome improvements came with a down side? I?ve seen too many posts about how the  35 amp controller is not waterproof like the radrunner stock one is. Even a splash can short it out and you certainly cannot ride in the rain.

So I searched high and low for a waterproof controller box and found one on Amazon that not only fits the controller but also clears the pedals and gear allowing you to mount it exactly where the old one goes.

This box is meant to be mounted to a bar and even comes with the brackets but they won?t fit under the bike. So my goal was to get it placed and see if it all fit together and it does!!

I will share the Amazon link and some pictures below. For now it?s mounted with some zip ties for proof of concept but I will be attaching it properly after a trip to the hardware store.

Point is my controller is now waterproof, nicely tucked away and in its own nice looking box. I?ve done the legwork so you don?t have to!

Here?s the links and some photos, please let me know if you have any questions!

-Premo

Link to the box:

https://amzn.to/3n0V5zS

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 02:13:17 PM by Ryan »

Radio Runner

• View Profile
Re: Bolton upgrade kit WATERPROOF BOX project!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 10:17:57 PM »
Do you think heat might be the new problem now? Seems these need venting.

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 01:30:50 AM »
I have my 35 amp controller in the same box after water ingress problems.It?s  upright on the down tube of my mini 4. Seems to work well so far with no heat build up problem.

Hehateme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 02:31:45 PM »
Downtube? Does it not fit on the seat tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 12:54:13 AM »
Still in the same place as original controller on the mini 4. Not really the seat tube.

pnwetc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 08:52:38 AM »
Point is my controller is now waterproof, nicely tucked away and in its own nice looking box. I?ve done the legwork so you don?t have to!

Here?s the links and some photos, please let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you for sharing. Have you had a chance to try this setup out in rainy conditions? How has it held up when it's wet out?

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 08:52:38 AM »