News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Can the Mission Tow a Kid Bike?

Started by GregHub, July 09, 2021, 01:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

GregHub

Our 45 lb. daughter has outgrown the Yepp child seat and we're considering getting a kid bike and a tow bar that attaches to a bike's seat post (or a dedicated "kids tow bike" that also attaches to the adult bike seat post).

Anyone doing anything like that with the Mission? Not sure whether the Mission has a strong enough motor to be able to do that, or whether we need to go with a model with a stronger motor, like the City 4. I'm 160 lbs. so there should be extra capacity with either one, but we do live in an area with hills.

Thanks for any advice!

wagon4owner

As far as I know, Rad recommends not adding any load to the rear axle (eg: rear rack,  trailer which attaches to the axle). I think this directly adds load to the motor and the 500W motor may not be powerful enough with this additional load.
My guess is that you should be fine if you are adding the weight to the frame (or seat post in your case) as long as you are within the total load capacity. Since the frame would help distribute the weight evenly between front and rear wheel.
However, this is just an educated guess and I am no expert on ebikes.

Hope this helps.