News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Outdoor bike cover 2 blocks from the beach - recommendations/advice please

Started by R92024, August 24, 2021, 09:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

R92024

Hi,
I just bought a RadMini 4, loving it!
I live 2 blocks from the beach in San Diego, and my only option is to store the bike outside on my porch (well locked, of course).
There's not enough room for a plastic storage container, so it'll have to be just a cover over the bike.
Any recommendations/advice re. a bike cover?
Would a basic bike cover be enough to keep out the salt air?
Or is there such a thing as a completely enclosed bike cover?
(I guess the cable and lock would have to be at the bottom of the bike and cover so it can be secured to the porch railing...)
Thanks for any advice :)

Jman

It will get stolen if left outside even if locked.  It folds so try to find a spot inside for it.  If you still decide to leave it outside, take the battery inside. Use some sort of bike alarm on the bike and use a minimum of 3 locks(U locks, hardened heavy chains with strong locks) Don't use cable locks other than for the cover.  You might even want to take the front wheel inside.  Also leaving the bike outside in a coastal environment could cause rust on it.  Good luck.

JESimmons

I live even closer to the Atlantic.  I don't think there is anything that will keep out the salt air.  A cover would be good to keep off the rain. 

R92024

Quote from: Jman on August 24, 2021, 11:18:22 PM
It will get stolen if left outside even if locked.  It folds so try to find a spot inside for it.  If you still decide to leave it outside, take the battery inside. Use some sort of bike alarm on the bike and use a minimum of 3 locks(U locks, hardened heavy chains with strong locks) Don't use cable locks other than for the cover.  You might even want to take the front wheel inside.  Also leaving the bike outside in a coastal environment could cause rust on it.  Good luck.

Thanks, yes, storing it on the porch is the only option I have.
I'm aware that if someone really wants to steal something, they will, so I'm not gonna drive myself crazy, I'm using 2 good locks and an alarm.
And yes, storing the battery inside for sure.
My question was about the cover...

R92024

I just found a bike cover that's made specifically for this purpose, to inhibit rust.
Zerust... their own website, or Amazon.
$29.50, just bought it :)

dantodd

I spent a few months in the Florida keys with my Rover last year. It got completely rusted up. the forks, chain, brake disks, and the rear cartridge. I think if you are going to store it outside you'll just have to accept rust.